NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
ProRally Champ
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The short story - Search for Rally America in the OLN (Outdoor Life Network) listings and tune in this comeing Friday for the re-air of SNO*DRIFT coverage.

The long story - About a year ago I decided it was finally time to do January's aptly named SNO*DRIFT Rally for several reasons. I had finally paid down the bills from our 2003 national championship winning season; I still had the Bug; I had a set of largely unused Hakkapeliitta snow tires laying around (how was an Okie to know how bad Hakka 9s would suck on icy roads?); I missed S*D '73 when it was the first-ever SCCA ProRally; I didn't want to miss S*D 2005, the first-ever Rally-America national stage rally; I had another lady codriver keen to share the event with me; I had no plans to run for any kind of title this year so vacation wasn't going to be a problem; I hadn't run a snow rally since 1978; AND I wanted to see how good a finish a Production-legal car driven maturely with but one goal - to find all the finish controls but NO snowbanks - could place in the Regional events even if said overweight, underpowered car was competing in the gnarly, big-engine, 2WD open class known as Group 5. Thanks to the dearth of StudBug appearances during the 2003 season (I think the Speed TV telecast mentioned our effort twice ALL YEAR and mispronounced my name BOTH times) and the fact we chose to not register for the 2005 National series I had no expectations of the SB appearing on ANY telecast this season.

While I haven't seen the telecast I'm told that a shot of our spectator area contretemps with a snow covered dirt bank to avoid a collision with a WRX and the folks assisting that car back on the road DID (apparently) make it on the show. Who'da thunk it?

Not bad timing since I plan to put the world's first New Beetle Rally Car on the ebay auction block again this week. This time the sales pitch will include, "As seen this week on Outdoor Life Network's coverage of Rally-America action!" :D

·
Super Moderator
14,766 Posts
Way cool! Too bad I don't get that channel.... :(

Part of me wants to say "hope he doesn't sell", but part of me wants to say "Go StudBug, go!" to a new home. Know what I mean? :confused:

I'll always love SB. Best of luck to you, and if you ever get back to Oregon for rallying, please let us PNW'ers know! :)

Love, Deb

1 - 3 of 3 Posts