VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a day-long trip, our 2007 started to stumble badly as we sat in line at the gas pump. Applying gas cleared it up, and it runs fine at speed, but at the next extended stop light the stumbling would return.

I changed the plugs. At 135k the old ones still looked consistently good and clean, tho the gaps were about 50 thou. After heating it up with some freeway miles, we returned home and idled in the driveway. After a couple of minutes, some of the stumbling returned, tho not as bad. Again, upon acceleration, it ran fine.

My questions: Do the coil packs go bad slowly, or do they simply 'work or not work.'

Same question re the PCV.

Would the 50 thou plug gaps noticeably affect performance?

The engine came light on a couple thousand miles ago, but I was told it was likely indicating an air leak at the gas cap.

Any comments, suggestions on recommended next step(s) appreciated.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
With the 2.5L; coil packs do go bad (there was a recall on some cars; you might call your dealer and see if there was a recall on yours) but it would typically turn the CEL one and if there is a bad coil, the CEL will blink. A trouble codes, will show a misfire; typically identify the cylinder or reference "multiple misfires". With a scan tool; you could read the codes and identify the cylinder; you could move the coil pack to another location, if the misfire moves to the new location, that would confirm it is the problem and it is bad. If you need a coil; buy genuine VW coils and they are not too expensive at your local dealer or online.

The pcv valve failure, is very common and creates, a problem similar to your description. Your "air leak" check engine light; could also, add to the pcv issue,

as a CEL with a "Fault Code P2279 - Intake Air Leak Detected" typically comes on when it fails.

Check out this link; for info on the PCV issue:

http://newbeetle.org/forums/2-5-liter-gas/65633-re-2-5l-pcv-valve-failure-solutions-dorman.html

If you can scan your car; please post whatever trouble codes, you are getting and we can go from there. Thanks.

·
Registered
96 Posts
After a day-long trip, our 2007 started to stumble badly as we sat in line at the gas pump. Applying gas cleared it up, and it runs fine at speed, but at the next extended stop light the stumbling would return.

I changed the plugs. At 135k the old ones still looked consistently good and clean, tho the gaps were about 50 thou. After heating it up with some freeway miles, we returned home and idled in the driveway. After a couple of minutes, some of the stumbling returned, tho not as bad. Again, upon acceleration, it ran fine.

My questions: Do the coil packs go bad slowly, or do they simply 'work or not work.'

Same question re the PCV.

Would the 50 thou plug gaps noticeably affect performance?

The engine came light on a couple thousand miles ago, but I was told it was likely indicating an air leak at the gas cap.

Any comments, suggestions on recommended next step(s) appreciated.
------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi, let me know if you figure yours out because mine has been doing the same thing for a year now. Runs great but stalls maybe 2 times a week only at a stop light. Then cranks right back up and runs fine. The only code i have ,p0170 bank1 system too lean? I am no mechanic at all i just like to see if i can keep it out of the shop. So i changed the pcv out because it was easy and cheap then the fuel filter, which on the 2010 ended up being inside the gas tank accessible under the back seat thru a port hole, then i needed a battery so replaced that, cleaned maf sensor, ect, checked all the hoses for leaks, idk? Of course I guess if it gets worse i will take it into the shop and let them rape me! The only people here in Pensacola, Fl, that will work on a VW/Audi is the dealer if you can believe that.
Anyway good luck, and please do let me know if you get to the bottom of it and I will do the same!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts