NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know you're all having a good laugh but I really don't know where to plug in my new gauge. I'm not going to install it yet I just want to see if i still have a working turbo.It's a Faze competition EL .Is it a reliable gauge? I'm new to all this so please help me (and my husband)

·
Beetle Cup racer
567 Posts
The only stupid questions are those who are not asked.....
well back to topic.
WITH THE ENGINE OFF
You can get a 4 feet of silicone tube for your gauge and, remove the plastic engine cover.
You will see the intake manifold right at the front (its the one that has 4 runners that fo into the side of the engine).
That large metal piece has 2 plastic hoses/tubes that exit and go on top of the engine.
You can buy a platic T (that is a plastic conector shaped like a T) and put the 2 ends of the T so the original tube is still conected and the third exit conect it to the silicon tube to your boost gauge.

This is the best place since you are reading the REAL presure on the manifold after looses of pipinf, Intercooler and throttle body.

Putting the gauge and routing the tube is more dificult and time consuuming but not imposibl even for someone with little experience.

check this Old threads with pics:

http://forums.newbeetle.org/showthread.php?threadid=53248&highlight=boost+gauge+install

http://forums.newbeetle.org/showthread.php?threadid=48459&highlight=boost+gauge+install

hope this helps

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
Heh, actually I care. :)

More vacuum == less fuel needed. And really I think it'll make a difference if I really tore into things trying to optimize the intake's airflow.

But yeah, I hear ya man. It ain't boost, that's for sure.

·
MkV Pilot
1,657 Posts
The numbers under "0", like mentioned before are inches of mercury. Basically, that is the vacuum reading. If your engine isn't boosting then you'll see what the engine is sucking in on its own. At idle you should see 19-20 InHg.

The InHg side of the gauge is good to keep tabs on your engine, as a vacuum leak will be made visible. If you're pulling, say, 12 InHg at idle, then you have a leak somewhere.

Everything has it's purpose;)

·
Too Many Dubs....
160 Posts
Billsbug said:
I guess I'm saying 'Who cares?' about the Mercury, why don't the gauges just go from 0-25psi, that all that matters, right?
There are plenty that do. Autometer makes em, and so does VDO. My car has a VDO Cockpit 0-30 in it.
They are mainly useful for running high boost. If you have 40% of the scale taken up with vacuum, and a pressure side that swings to 30 its hard to see what its saying at a glance especially if you're in a pretty fast car. Any old gauge would have worked for my NB, but what I had laying around was still cheaper than the cheapest gauge :)

·
Get in.Buckle Up.Hang on.
6,525 Posts
NYBugman said:
The numbers under "0", like mentioned before are inches of mercury. Basically, that is the vacuum reading. If your engine isn't boosting then you'll see what the engine is sucking in on its own. At idle you should see 19-20 InHg.

The InHg side of the gauge is good to keep tabs on your engine, as a vacuum leak will be made visible. If you're pulling, say, 12 InHg at idle, then you have a leak somewhere.

Everything has it's purpose;)
GREAT info, thanks man!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts