VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2000 New Beetle has started to stutter during starting although it always starts and runs fine. I don't think the sound is "gear grinding" but I can only describe it as stuttering or 'dropping out'.

I thought it was a problem with the starter system, but the local mechanic claimed it was the mass air flow pipe was leaking - it was not fully connected with the clamp to the air filter box. At the shop he fixed the connection and it started without problem....until I got it home :-( I checked the mass air flow pipe and it is fully connected.

Any ideas on how to diagnosis and fix this?
--

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, as I remember there were no codes.

I would like to diagnose and possibly fix myself, depending upon the extent of the repair needed. I have a good deal of auto mechanical experience (eg head gasket replacement, water pump replacement, etc).
---

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Well, I would start by scanning for codes and see if anything comes up. Do you have access to a scan tool?

If you don't have one; get a Elm 327 obd II wireless adapter and a app for about $20-$30 total. This combo is a affordable scan tool solution; that can run on your smart phone or tablet. Wifi for iOS/Apple and Bluetooth versions for Android; these can be purchased on Amazon. For VW specific scan tools; look at the vag 401 and VCDS from Ross Tech.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
No need to guess, get an OBDII App and get the codes read and you will know exactly what is going on.

You want OBDFusion, for the iProducts it is $9.99, for Android is is $3.99.

For iProducts you NEED a Wifi adapter, for Android you can use the Bluetooth adapter.

iProducts adapter - http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00WPW6BAE/...BWNPO9BZ&psc=1

Android adapter - http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00WPW6BAE/...BWNPO9BZ&psc=1

So for the basic OBFusion, you are at $30 or less for iProducts and under $20 for Android. Very worth while once you find out what you can do with these Apps.

Most cold start rough idle, RPM hunting and stalling is usually do to vacuum leaks and lack of maintenance like spark plugs, air filter, fuel filter, etc.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks folks! Placed my order for the OBDII with Bluetooth and OBDFusion!

Is there real advantage to have the VAG-COM?
---

1 - 7 of 7 Posts