NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not the type that cares much for ear pounding bass and I do like my stock monsoon speakers... but it just lacked the ability to hit the bass notes... SOOoooooo.

I found a nice box that was skinny enough to access the spare tire and not taking up too much of my already itty-bitty trunk. Got a Rockford Fosgate P300-1 amp w/ bass knob powering a JL Audio 10W3v3-4 10" woofer. Had an iSimple Ipod adapter hooked to the stock head unit.

My question is how hard is it running the wire into the glove box or the center console?

Anyone with pictures?

·
HP Technician
449 Posts
You literally just reach your hand behind the glove box and feet the wire with your other hand. You can see the glove box light from the radio opening even to guide you.

For the center console just tuck the wire up one side as you run it down from the radio to where you want it.

Your talking ten minute project at the most.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You literally just reach your hand behind the glove box and feet the wire with your other hand. You can see the glove box light from the radio opening even to guide you.

For the center console just tuck the wire up one side as you run it down from the radio to where you want it.

Your talking ten minute project at the most.
I think the glove box is easiest. Is there an existing opening where I can get the wire to come in?

·
HP Technician
449 Posts
I think the glove box is easiest. Is there an existing opening where I can get the wire to come in?
Mine has a gap when open (where you can peer into the inside of the front dash) but I think mine may have been broken since before getting my car maybe? I have not seen another glove box to compare mine to.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mine has a gap when open (where you can peer into the inside of the front dash) but I think mine may have been broken since before getting my car maybe? I have not seen another glove box to compare mine to.
I didn't install this.. had some idiot at Car Toys do it... believe me I regret it... WAY overpaid for the install. Should I pop the head unit out pull back the cable to reroute it? if so what tool do I use to pop the head unit out?

·
HP Technician
449 Posts
The head unit removal keys come with the radio. The instructions should show you how to use them. If they are not in the box the shop may have kept them. A few radios (such as mine) actually have 2 tiny screws on each side of the radio that secure the head unit to the cage. I have never seen this before and would say 99% chance yours has 2 aluminum keys. The instructions should show diagrams of what they look like and where they slide into.

For most radios, slide each key into the left and right side of the radio, hear them click, then pull and the radio slides right out.

I went and looked at my dash again and you could easily drill a small hole in the top back left corner to guide the wire in. Shine a flashlight through the hole to find it when your looking in through the radio cavity.

The glove box is where I would route it. Your ipod is protected from the sun, thieves, and can be secured and locked in there if need be.

EDIT: Oh wait, is it a factory radio? I was assuming it was a new radio.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The head unit removal keys come with the radio. The instructions should show you how to use them. If they are not in the box the shop may have kept them. A few radios (such as mine) actually have 2 tiny screws on each side of the radio that secure the head unit to the cage. I have never seen this before and would say 99% chance yours has 2 aluminum keys. The instructions should show diagrams of what they look like and where they slide into.

For most radios, slide each key into the left and right side of the radio, hear them click, then pull and the radio slides right out.

I went and looked at my dash again and you could easily drill a small hole in the top back left corner to guide the wire in. Shine a flashlight through the hole to find it when your looking in through the radio cavity.

The glove box is where I would route it. Your ipod is protected from the sun, thieves, and can be secured and locked in there if need be.

EDIT: Oh wait, is it a factory radio? I was assuming it was a new radio.
No worries... I chewed out the Car Toys manger and they gave him an ear full about how the install looked like crap. They'll figure it out how to get it in the glove box. I paid them good money and by golly I'm gonna get what I paid for.

Other than that it sounds awesome!

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Went back to the Car Toys and had them relocate the Ipod cable. To no surprise he wanted to charge me extra... "No! I don't think so... :mad: " did the trick. :D

This time I'm happy, the P300 amp pounds the JL Audio woofer like a mad drummer! : I LIKE!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts