NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I am driving down the highway it sounds find, but when I step on it to pass, the engine sounds like a fan kicks in and really starts sucking air. Or maybe it's blowing air. It's hard to tell. Any ideas?

·
Registered
42 Posts
i was wondering if you put an aftermarket intake on it lol? like removed the air box and put on a cone or something because that would do it.

·
I'm not a dude.
1,230 Posts
Any loss in acceleration or braking? Could be a vacuum leak.

·
Peace Love & T.o.D.
2,802 Posts
my guess is a intercooler pipe loose, or broken. Can you still hear the turbo spooling?

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
I have never heard the turbo do anything, and I do not know what spooling is!
Don't worry about that. I can't hear my Turbo spooling either. I just know when I push down on the accellerator and the Turbo kicks in it puts a smile on my face :) I would take off the plastic engine cover and take a look if all the vacuum lines are connected or perhaps loose. Unfortunately on our cars there are tons and tons of vacuum lines and intake hoses and Diverter valves and Turbo connections, Intercooler lines, secondary air pump, etc etc etc. Any number of which could cause a vacuum leak or sucking noises. Do you have a CEL (Check engine light) on your dash lit up? Also did you have any work done recently where the mechanic may have forgotten to replace a hose or accidentially pulled a vacuum line? The 1.8 Turbo beetle is a fun car but also one of the most maintanance happy car there is. You need to learn more about it and try and fix a few things on your own otherwise this thing can nickle and dime you to death. Or in VW's case 100 dollar you to death ;) Good luck and let me know if I can help.

·
Super Moderator
20,813 Posts
It's possible that your Secondary Air Pump has lost it's seal. It will give you that suck air sound as well. Do you hear this sound when you initially start your bug?

If your SAIP has lost it's seal and you have an earlier model nB, the SAIP is repairable, and can be done DIY very cheaply.

BTW, please fill out your profile info... it's seen in the upper right-hand corner of your posts. This info is helpful for us helping you. AND you just might have a fellow orger nearby that can be of local DIY help to ya:)

·
Registered
1 Posts
turbo hose leak

I just had the same problem and it was a crack in the turbo boost hose. The dealer wanted $275 to replace; the hose is a $75 part. The hose sits near the exhaust causing it to breakdown over time. Much more power now. You will only hear the noise under acceleration.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts