VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first post, made account because the problem I had a few hours ago, which was extremely frightening.

2003 VW New Beetle, with 2.0 liter engine automatic. the car lurched forward, then the EPC, ABS lights came on. Followed by the battery light all while driving. The interior lights became dim. I had the car Timing Belt and Water pump done less than two weeks ago.
Need to know as soon as possible, please & thanks.
Car has 100k miles

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
The first thing to check would be the wire connections at the battery. Chances are it was disconnected when the timing belt was done so something could be loose. Check the battery connections, especially the one circled near label "3" in my DIY here:

http://newbeetle.org/forums/2-0-liter-gas/82833-diy-check-power-ground-connections.html

Make sure all the connections on the battery fuse panel shown in the last picture are in good condition. If you have a multimeter you can check the condition of the grounds like I describe as well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Regarding Fuse Box

Checked the voltage reading and turns out the alternator gave varying readings, some very low and up to around 14 volts. So I replaced the alternator, and since the Fuse box was burnt replaced the fuse box as well. Two weeks later all is fine, however it still gets hot/warm.

I'm curious now hot or warm is it natural for the fuse box to get. The cable which get the warmest is the thick black cable coming from the alternator. But so far the car is running perfectly.

I'm also wondering if one could replace the cable running from the alternator to the fuse box, with a higher voltage one or maybe a copper one.

thanks, & sorry for taking so long to follow up.

This is the previous fuse box.

Attachments

·
Registered
758 Posts
I wouldn't think you'd need to replace that cable, unless it's visibly corroded. If done right, replacing it certainly won't hurt.

When I put a higher output, newer generation, alternator in my '91 Ford Crown Victoria, I did add a bigger cable from the alternator to the battery. I also added a "MEGA fuse" to the cable with an amperage rating a bit higher than the output of the alternator. In that situation, the stock wiring would not have been big enough to handle the higher output.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts