VW Beetle Forum banner
101 - 120 of 149 Posts
Discussion starter · #101 ·
I've been having some boost issues with my car lately...

I was spiking way up to almost 15 psi and then it seemed to be hitting hard limp mode issues. Now it doesn't seem like I can get beyond 5psi boost, ever.

If I accel hard in 2nd gear it will boost up to 5psi then feel like hitting a wall and drop to 0psi and will not boost beyond that in any gear. If I accel smoothly through the gears and then floor it in 5th I might be able to hold 5psi. Used to hold like 10psi or a bit more maybe.

I don't think that it's the vac lines as I still get good vac pressures when coasting or easy cruising. I'm wondering about coilpacks - I replaced one when my car crapped out and had to be towed a couple months back. I have a forge tip, a 007 dv and n75 race valve along with my ttda intake.

What says you guys? Any thoughts appreciated.

Discussion starter · #105 ·
I just turned over 165K miles yesterday. Wink is showing his age/mileage. I have recently had to repair some of the exhaust - specifically the flex pipe which had rusted out. Replacing the whole part would cost 100s of $. I got the help of my neighbor and we welded in an off the shelf flex pipe. The diffuser in the rear section of the exhaust is badly rusted. The car has been smoking badly - as in lots of smoke coming from the tailpipe...

My passenger side window fell into the door frame - I have lifted it back up manually and it is now ghetto duck taped in the UP position. I just need to find time to fix that.

I'm wondering if it may be getting time to get a newer car.

I really want an Audi TT. They aren't cheap...

I could like another NB, maybe I could get around a 2007 model for a decent price.

I kinda also like the older style, squared off, Scion xB.

Sad

I just turned over 165K miles yesterday. Wink is showing his age/mileage. I have recently had to repair some of the exhaust - specifically the flex pipe which had rusted out. Replacing the whole part would cost 100s of $. I got the help of my neighbor and we welded in an off the shelf flex pipe. The diffuser in the rear section of the exhaust is badly rusted. The car has been smoking badly - as in lots of smoke coming from the tailpipe...

My passenger side window fell into the door frame - I have lifted it back up manually and it is now ghetto duck taped in the UP position. I just need to find time to fix that.

I'm wondering if it may be getting time to get a newer car.

I really want an Audi TT. They aren't cheap...

I could like another NB, maybe I could get around a 2007 model for a decent price.

I kinda also like the older style, squared off, Scion xB.

Sad
I've always liked the old school xB's myself. The new ones are glorified mini vans if you ask me.

TT's aren't cheap- to purchase or maintain. Replacing Cup's TB/WP was a chore- they say the TT's are even harder:eek:. Still one hot ride!

I'm one for the B1 (new beetle 98-05) too- the '06-'10 are okay and i'd rock one, but i'm with you- the first gen takes the prize.

I hope you keep Wink; you being without him is like me being without Cup.

Also, PM me with some titles for your magazine cover. It's about done, but i need some hints for some catchy titles.

Discussion starter · #108 ·
I opened this thinking.. uh oh.. this was Wink's big one. I'm relieved he's still running but sad that his time is near. :(
I'm worried that the smoking issue is a bad sign. My old Ford pickup died due to the piston rings wearing. (Does my car have piston rings?)

I guess I'm hoping it's a coilpack or two. I think I need to vag-com.

(good to hear from you, Tom.)

Discussion starter · #109 ·
TT's aren't cheap- to purchase or maintain. Replacing Cup's TB/WP was a chore- they say the TT's are even harder:eek:. Still one hot ride!
That sucks to hear. I was counting on getting a deal on one that needs a new timing belt etc and doing the work myself. When we changed Wink's timing belt/water pump 4 or 5 of us worked on it and I think it took us 14 hours. Not exactly fun.

(But work is just work - I can come up with more of that than money for sure.)

I'm watching TT's for sale on E-bay. Gotta be some deals out there somewhere.

That sucks to hear. I was counting on getting a deal on one that needs a new timing belt etc and doing the work myself. When we changed Wink's timing belt/water pump 4 or 5 of us worked on it and I think it took us 14 hours. Not exactly fun.

(But work is just work - I can come up with more of that than money for sure.)

I'm watching TT's for sale on E-bay. Gotta be some deals out there somewhere.
That's the spirit my good man! As long as you don't mind the work, you're golden. And I can relate on the TB/WP work- I earned my stripes this spring:D

Hey Dave! Been a long time, glad to see you're still kickin';) Anyway, try autotrader.com for looking at TTs--I was looking too, before I got the GTI. Your 14 hr. TB/WP job was a fluke of major proportion in my mind--it is possible to have too much help--I did my GTI in far less than 1/2 that time w/ no help. Anyway, I hope Wink gives you many more miles of service.:)

Discussion starter · #113 ·
I bought a car. It is a 2008 Honda Fit Sport. It is certainly a different style of driving - economical vs sporty/spirited. That is what I need at this point. I should pick it up tomorrow so I will post pics then. I did not trade Wink in - so he is for sale - org people would certainly have some priority in a sale - I think I'm asking $2600.

Mixed feelings...

When I saw your thread in the new posts, I had a feeling that I knew what was posted............. :eek:

I am no one to talk, but I do keep coming back. :wink2:

Discussion starter · #117 ·
End of thread

Wink has moved to his final resting place. He's in my back yard and will not move from there until he's hauled away for scrap. I am taking parts off and will be starting to post them for sale in the classifieds here.

I took some pictures - The car was as dirty as ever, the passenger window and door never got fixed so I duck taped it up for weather proofing - at least until someone wants to buy the window or door...

I had to jump start it, been sitting in the garage for a month or more.

I drove it one last time down my favorite "test track" Herriff Road. The destination of the last trip was my local Fly Fishing "Fly Shop" the TMF Orvis store.

I stopped one last time at the 90 degree corner of Herriff Road and took another picture.

I drove Wink into the back yard and parked it for the final time.

This car was certainly a reflection of my personality, interests, and creativity.

That last post of pictures brought a tear to my eye. :(

I'm glad I have a piece of Wink in my car. His door handle covers.

101 - 120 of 149 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.