VW Beetle Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
You have to solve your air bubble problem first, this is likely your main problem with the car??

You did not specifically state which engine you had, but the you mentioned an Aux water pump, so you have a 1.8t?

Check make sure you have airflow/coolant flow through the small tube in the upper portion of the expansion tank. If this small tube/pipe is blocked you will have water flow problems when the engine is cold and you will likely have overheating problems.

You may also have a bad water pump.

Suggest you start a new thread in the proper engine section so you can get more views and assistance.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Also check the fuse for corrosion.

I just helped a friend diagnose a cooling problem on his 2000Beetle. He thought his fans went out but it turned out to be corrosion at the fuse on top of the battery. Just a heads up!

·
Registered
3 Posts
hi there
i have a late 05 NB 1.6a with a BFS engine , FDH auto trans & 2 (1 big 1 small) cooling fans.
have read thru about 1/2 of Dan's thread Check your radiator/condenser fan operation NOW - TDIClub Forums
did first test
1. key on engine off
2. interior fan switch to 1
3. AC button pressed on (button light comes on)
the 2 fans do not run.
have tried using a stick to assist in turning them they do turn rather freely but will soon stop after losing momentum.
upon engine on , interior fan on & AC button on , both fans will run loudly after about a 4 second wait.
driving experience is a/c is cold on the move as well as during idle, no overheating light comes on , no coolant loss (have checked expansion tank immediately after a 1 hour drive when i get to work & after 8 hours of engine off before leaving work for home) coolant at high level after shut engine & coolant at normal level after 8 hours of engine off.
have checked the condition of the fuses above the battery as per the A4 Coolant Fan testing, MANUAL Air Conditioning tutorial.
condition of the blade fuses were all shiny
fuse 8 S180 was not blown , lifted the fuse, the fuse holder looks fine no melting but cant see between the tiny blade gaps to ascertain the condition below.
on Dan's thread there were a few NBs that basically were facing the same situation of the fans not coming on for the slow speed test while all the fuses checked out ok so i am wondering is this situaton the "correct"condition for a NB?
or is there something that is wrong?
btw i am in sunny singapore & the average outside temp is 31c to 34c during the day.
welcome all thoughts.
thanks for reading

·
Registered
1 Posts
Dan - the guru of Fans at the TDI club authored the following post that is the go to for fan operations, diagnosis and repair.

Check your radiator/condenser fan operation NOW - TDIClub Forums
Cant say thank you enough for this sticky - helped me out massively and had my fans / aircon working in no time - Kudos
Thank you so much for this - sorted our poorly 1.9 tdi using the docs and advice here. No Aircon, no fans.

I have been working with him on my own issue and mentioned to him that I would be re-posting his info and how-to's here and he said that all New Beetles would benefit from the advice he had.

·
Registered
10 Posts
help

ok...I have been reading through some of this, but it is all very technical and over my head...I have a 99 new beetle and the a/c is itermittently blowing cold...it seems like when the weather is really hot the clutch on the compressor pulley will not engage and it blows hot air....when it is a little cooler the clutch engages, the compressor kicks on and it blows cold air....anyone know what the problem is and what needs to be done to fix this?? from what i read here it looks like it is some kind of sensor. IS that correct? and if so where is it located?
Check your freon level. Mine just need to be filled. Got the gagge and freon from autozone. It was simple to do.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts