NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

My sun roof will not work! I checked the fuses and no blown fuses. Does anyone know if the sunroof is on a relay and if so what # it is? Or is it anything else?

Also this light is on. I am not sure what it is...

·
Registered
199 Posts
The light means that the spoiler is up, either by the switch or it raised automatically and did not come down correctly. If it is flashing I think it means that it did not raise correctly.

Turn the car on, leave it in park and cycle the spoiler via the switch under the dash until it comes down and the light goes out. Then try your sunroof.

On my car, a '99, the sunroof automatically tilts down just before the spoiler goes up. However I can open the sunroof again if I want to.

Meaning that I am unsure if the two are connected.

Stay tuned more knowledgeable folks will be jumping in here soon.

·
Registered
438 Posts
There is both switched 12v and constant 12v at the sunroof motor. The switched 12v controls the 'normal' actions of the roof. The constant power lets the sunroof close when holding the door key in the locked position (to roll up windows).

You'll have to pull apart some of the headliner to reach the connector.

Here's a couple things I'd try:
Verify fuses (14 and 5?) For some reason those two stick in my head, but it wouldn't hurt to test every fuse in the panel with a continuity tester.

VCDS scan. Should tell you if there is a problem with the CCM. There is communications between the CCM and sunroof.

Manually (emergency crank handle), make sure the roof opens/closes smoothly. Then, move it to tilt and full open and see if it closes using the key in the door.

Bad motor - easiest way to test is to install it in another car, or put in a know good one. Same goes for bad switch.

If I think of anything else, I'll post again.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When in park and you raise your spoiler (with the button) and then lower it, does it lower itself in slow increments? Mine will lower a little, then pause, then lower a little more, pause....ect ect. Until it comes to a stop.

I manually opened the sunroof with the emergency opener, then did as you suggested and used the key in the door to close all the windows and the sunroof did not close.

I am also unsure of what you were getting at by the 12v constant and whatnot.

I guess I will have to go pull out the motor and try another, huh?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I believe that the sunroof issue is causing the spoiler light to come on as well. The spoiler seems to function just fine ( I still dont know if the spoiler is supposed to go down in intervals or not).

I pulled a sunroof motor I had out of a 2001 and will install it tomorrow to see if it fixes the problem. I still would like to know if there is a sun roof relay or not! or fuse!?

·
Registered
199 Posts
FYI yes the spoiler comes down in increments that is normal.

Get some silicone or white lithium grease and lube the spoiler.
Raise it and hit all the hinges but also hit the two tracks that the lifting mechanism slides in.

Then cycle it a few times. On mine when I get the light I usually find it is sticking and lubing it fixes it.

The sunroof is probably a separate problem and I would think with the key not working to close it you have lost a circuit somewhere.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Constant power = on regardless of ignition switch position.
Switched power = on only when key is on.

The rear spoiler and sunroof are both tied into the CCM. Does everything else work with your alarm, central locks, etc.?

I'm trying to see if I can bring up the schematics online without having my Bentley manual with me.

If you want to swap in the motor for a test, it doesn't even need to be bolted in place. It will function fully without being attached to the sunroof.

Try tilting it up and use the key to close. The one I was recently working on would only operate from tilted up to close, and only with the key. There was a broken wire from the fuse box to the sunroof.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will lube the tracks and hinges when I get home. Thanks for the advice.

I noticed to access the wire for the motor, you must dedatch the headlinner from the front to gain access. (I tried taking the switch off and going through that way but its too small).

How did you end up finding the broken wire from the fuse box?

·
Registered
438 Posts
I will lube the tracks and hinges when I get home. Thanks for the advice.

I noticed to access the wire for the motor, you must dedatch the headlinner from the front to gain access. (I tried taking the switch off and going through that way but its too small).

How did you end up finding the broken wire from the fuse box?
There is just enough room to sneak it out if you remove the mirror, visors and pop loose the a-pillar trim (it can be done through the switch opening on a jetta). I spent quite a while working on this sunroof to find the problem. Luckily I had a spare motor to test the car with and a spare car (my jetta) to test the existing switch and motor.

I ended up taking out half the dash to access the CCM and traced pin to pin all the connections from the roof to the CCM/fuse box. Took a little longer than it should because of mistakes in the Bentley manual (mine was printed in '05).

Hours of testing and researching, but I learned a lot.

·
Returning senior member
285 Posts
Sun roof and spoiler...

The CCM or comfort control module controls of the sun roof, locking mechanism plus key less remote, anti-theft alarm, interior lights and serves as an electrical system interface with the door control modules. It is located just to the left of the steering column under the instrument panel. This module can be scanned with a VAG-COM and that will diagnose any problems in that system including sunroof (motor included) rear spoiler, etc. Fuse #30, a 20 AMP. fuse controls the sun roof in my 99 turbo. There is no relay as far as I know. You might try to close the sunroof with the key lock on the drivers door as well as trying to cycle your spoiler with the manual switch under the dash as has been recommended before. It's sometimes possible to re-set the system by disconnecting the battery and then reconnecting it. Scans are not that much money and they save countless hours of fiddling with your car and perhaps damaging other systems and trim... Good Luck, JK

·
Registered
5 Posts
help

i have the same problem as mentioned wondering if anyone has come up with a solution sunroof worked fine untill the spoiler light came on spoiler still works i lubed it up still the light is on no bad fuses need a solution if anyone has one

·
Registered
605 Posts
These lights are designed to come on also, if the system notices a voltage drop. Good example would be high resistance from corrosion in the circuit. However, it seems to be isolated to one item, I would check to be sure anyways.

Easiest way to find problem would be to have your VAG ready to go and scanning. Also, if you have a multi-meter have that ready to go as well.

If the sunroof isnt working and yet the spoiler is and such with all the other "comfort" ammenities working. I would also look for a disconnected wire.

I believe there is a harness for that CCM, one wire could be bad, and you would have to replace the full harness.

I would find out what wire in the harness is the sunroof, and start doing the available voltage, voltage drop, and resistance test, see what you find. if your voltage drop is excessive, at the CCM, then track backwards to ensure the problem isnt deeper.

This is why when I buy VW I buy with least amount of electronics as possible. Im thinking about seeing if I can put in a "crank" sunroof like the ole' Jetta's and Rabbit's had.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Has anyone figured this out yet?

• I've got the same issue with the spoiler light on when it has no problem auto raising and closing whatsoever.
  • I cranked the sunroof manually and it seems fine.
  • When I locked the doors via the key for the first time I got it to shut the roof, but never again.
  • I also unplugged the battery and plugged it back in. Nothing.
  • Manual Spoiler button does NOT work.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
488 Posts
Well, here I am. Same issue. just bought this 02 turbo and spoiler light on, sunroof does not work fuse is good.At 50 mph I can hear the spoiler motor. manually though it wont go up with the switch. ideas? seems like a common issue by these posts, no real solution was posted yet, anyone?

·
Registered
415 Posts
I know I'm raising an old thread from the dead, but I'm troubleshooting sunroof issues on my 2002 2.0L GLS. I've tested continuity on all of the wires from the CCM, replaced the motor and switch. I don't have another car to try and still working on a VAG-COM, tried XTool iOBD2-VW/Audi (which is a dud btw). I have 12.6v on constant 12v but only 11.4v on switched 12v. Does anyone have a pin-out or wiring diagram for those circuits? My Haynes manual sucks.

Two times I've gotten the sunroof to close, only a little, from the tilted position with the key in the door lock position. I followed the steps from this site Billy posted but can't find wiring diagrams there.

https://workshop-manuals.com/volkswagen/

Any help you can give will be greatly appreciated. Oh, also I've checked fuses 30, 6 and 14 which all seem to be tied to the CCM. Are there any more I need to be looking at?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts