VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok my sister bought her kid a 2002 beetle. The sunroof did not work. I removed the headliner and traced all the wires. I could not find any broken wires from the ccm to the sunroof motor. Took the black cover off the sunroof motor and looked at the circuit board and using a meter I ohms'ed the connectors that plugs into the motor and is has a shorts somewhere in the circuit board so I removed the circuit broad solder two wires to the motor and tested the motor and it works. So i installed a
Rocker Reversing Switch — 30 Amp Momentary Contacts, Model# SWT-ROC-MOM-4W
Item# 27329
Now I have a working sunroof. FYI you don't need to remove any of the headliner to remove the motor.

The spoiler light in the dash is on and the spoiler did work both up and down at 50 mph and 10 mph. She told me she started to hear the spoiler slam shut so I remover the motor and cleaned and greased everything. My brother-in-law moved the motor when I had the cover to the circuit board off and it touched some metal and he said he saw a spark from it. So now it will go up at 50 mph but wont go down. Anyone know a way to fix this. Their has to be a wire that triggers it at 50 to go up and one to triggers it to go down if a can figure out which wire does it I can remove the circuit board and make my own with relays and a timer.

·
Registered
15,841 Posts
I wouldn't know how to fix this; I assuming, you may have "let the magic smoke out" of the controller board (fried it), when it was ground out/arc'd? There are tons of used parts on ebay and at your local junk yard. Instead of some hack; you might, just go get a used board, any other parts you need and fix it correctly.

I haven't taken my spoiler apart but would appreciate any pictures or info, about how to lube the linkage/system up. Mine is pretty noisy and I live in the desert; I am sure, it could use a full disassembly and lube up! If you could do a "diy" for this site; so, other can learn from your experience, that would be awesome! :)

The primary failure, we have seen around here; is the gears self destructing in the motors, which maybe from binding of the linkage? Some of the parts; seem to be "NLA" from VW, so used is probably the best way to go.

While I applaud your creativity; on fixing/troubleshooting the sunroof and adding a generic rocker switch, to get it to work, I recommend; get the correct parts to fix it the factory way. These cars are pretty crazy; as all the computers and devices are controlled by computer modules. It is possible, this could affect other devices in the interior of the car and you most likely, will get trouble codes in the ecu. If you're going to the junk yard anyway, for spoiler parts; you shouldn't have a problem, finding the sunroof parts you need to bring it back to stock. We have had quite a few people; that end up having electrical problems, when they don't install aftermarket stereo equipment correctly. So, we recommend; as much as possible, to keep things factory and that way, it doesn't interfere with the comfort control module and affect anything else that is connected to it. This is just a suggestion but seeing the electrical problems we have seen here in the past (even when things are totally stock) it is recommended to follow the "KISS" principle, thus reducing complexity/possible unintended electrical issues.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_smoke

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KISS_principle

aftermarket radio problem:

http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/aftermarket-radio.html

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's pretty simple to remove. I start to spray grease were the motor meets to cable to move the spoiler but wanted to lube the hole cable. The only way to do it is to remove the spoiler from the car clean and grease then reinstall. The spoiler has slides that move left to right not up and down so those need to be cleaned and greased to. Once you remove the spoiler from the car you'll see how it work theirs nothing to it.

·
Registered
15,841 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
To me those manuals are a joke. I had to remove the spoiler because I could not manually open it with the switch.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts