VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First and foremost, yes - I've looked at the other threads relating to this (one of which seemed to have a similar issue, but had no updates or posts related to "problem found").

My daughter's 2001 Beetle's moonroof will pop up to vent, but will not slide open. The shade slides freely. When put in the sliding position, the right side slides back a half inch or so, but the left side does not move - which makes it cancel and close itself back up. It cannot be opened manually with the allen wrench.

That left side ain't budging.

If I knew anything about the internal workings of this sunroof, I'd say left side drive cable. However, being that I don't...and can't find anything online in a diagram, or available parts called "sunroof cable" - I don't even know if it has one. I have no idea what actuates the sliding function.

Whatever is the move-back-and-forth thingy on the left side is no worky worky. Anyone know what that is, where it's located, or possibly a part number?

Can anyone give me some guidance here?

Thanks.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
I don't know; specifically, what your problem is but have you scanned the car with a VW compatible scan tool? This is where VW factory trouble codes can really shine (possibly pinpointing the cause of the fault) or doing output tests, looking at the specific sunroof mode information and seeing how things are operating.

If you are going to fix it yourself; the investment in a VW scan tool, could really pay off. Check out the aBAG 401or Foxwell nt500 on Amazon or VCDS by Ross Tech.

For factory service manuals; that cover the sunroof, look up your car here:

http://workshop-manuals.com/volkswagen/

I would recommend; printing out all the pages on the sunroof and that way to can work with them and troubleshoot things, in a methodical
manner.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 2 of 2 Posts