VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Anyone know if Super Tech Coolant from Walmart is an acceptable alternative for the factory coolant. The label claims it's compatible with VW, Audi, BMW, Volvo and Mercedes but being a basically distrusting person.......who knows ? In addition the bottle doesn't list its specs.
Hopefully someone out there might :)

Thanks in advance. Bob

·
Registered
18,591 Posts
Not familiar with that brand; go a part #?

What year and model VW are you working with?

If you are looking for a cheaper VW spec coolant; I have found, that Peak, now sells a VW spec coolant, that seems to be the most affordable option out there. I bought mine from Autozone, I typically use Pentosin but lately, had to flush my cooling system a number of times, then kept having leaks, requiring replacing the coolant and it was getting expensive. I went to Autozone and the Peak, is offered in concentrate that requires 50/50 mixing or a already mixed 50/50 type with the concentrate being a better value (I always mix with distilled bottled water). I have been using it lately and it seems ok; it doesn't seem to be as "thick" as the Pentosin but so far, is doing its job.

They have two types; one that is "pink", that is for VW models 1996-2006 and a "violet" type, which is for VW models 2006 and up.

You can use their website; to confirm, the correct coolant for your particular vehicle here:

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your response billymade. Mine is an '04 New Beetle turbo convertible. The Peak coolant from Auto Zone sounds like the best choice that's actually spec'd for my car. I appreciate the info. You have a good day.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,686 Posts
Keep in mind that if you are just needing to top off, you can use some distilled water. I don't know how much I'd trust Peak myself. I stick with OEM and Pentosin, both easy to get online. Some auto parts stores carry the Pentosin as well.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I always use the Pentosin. I think it is only a little more $ than the Peak. I've seen the Walmart Supertech, but was afraid to trust it. If Billymade says the Peak is safe, then I would trust it, and maybe will buy it for when I due the upcoming water pump/timing belt service.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts