NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I bought the above car in July. It passed it MOT last week with no advisories or warnings.

Since owning her she splutters on cold mornings and sometimes mis fires but when the engine warms drives perfectly. However yesterday I took her for a short drive and it just would not drive properly. It was very juddery and drove like a kangaroo. Then I could smell burning quickly followed by smoke coming into the car from the gear stick! I got out of the car and called the breakdown people.

After answering a few questions the break down guy checked the oil and said there was traces of water in it. He said it was the head gasket....

My initial thoughts were to get rid but the breakdown guy seemed to think it may be worth getting fixed. I wondered if you guys could give me your thoughts?

Body wise she is in very good condition for her age but she has done a lot of miles 130,000 ish. Has anyone got any idea in terms of cost for the head gasket and a rough idea of the man hours it will take to change it?

PS This is my first ever post on here so apologies if this is in the wrong place? x

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
The catalytic converter is right below the gearshift lever. I think something came in contact with it and made the smoke and burning smell. I doubt that you have a problem with the head gasket. I certainly wouldn't have any connection to the smoke. If the serviceman took the oil cap off and saw some water there, it is perfectly normal for a 2.0 in a colder climate. It is condensation inside the crankcase. See this:

http://newbeetle.org/forums/2-0-liter-gas/59278-yellow-goo-what-do.html

The engine shouldn't buck like you describe. I would have the car scanned for error codes. There could be codes stored even if the check engine light (or your equivalent over there) is not on.

Welcome to the forum! You are in the right place to get advice for your New Beetle.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts