NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2000 New Beetle with a 1.8 Turbo engine has lost its timing belt. While considering the repairs, my 2006 New Beetle convertible with the 5-cylinder engine was rear-ended and totaled.

Is it possible to take the engine and transmission from the 2006 and drop it in to the 2000 without major modifications?

Any advice is appreciated.

·
2,646 Posts
Wow. When it rains it pours, huh? The answer to your question is yes, it is possible. A few such swaps have been done. Member "The Cheat" says he's done it and I've seen some pics in eurotuner magazine, etc. showing it done. You'll prolly have to swap clusters, ECUs and the transaxles too.

·
overwhelmed/underpaid
3,319 Posts
yay, something i've done!

you have the parts car, which is SWEET...you'll need pretty much all the wiring.

it's a process, but worth it. the 2.5 can take a turbo and be MUCH faster than a 1.8t could ever think of being.

·
VW Junky
1,032 Posts
Wow,considered church?....:lol:,no,no,no,just kiddin'...

I'd love to see this,Id bet you'd wind up with one sweet bug,that would be saweeet!..
Sorry about your luck.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oops! Its a 2006, not a 2005 (bad memory)

Thanks for the replies. All I can say is that Church does help me get through these times!

Swapping the entire drivetrain and cluster is okay. It will be a 2000 on the outside and a 2006 under the hood! Nicer transmission, etc. :D

I'm getting crazy and thinking I should also swap in the 2006's heated seats! :rolleyes:

Popping the convertible top from the 2006 to the 2000 is going too far and is out of the question. :calvin:

One consideration for the 2.5 is that it uses regular gas, not the premium gas that the turbo needs. This car is for my daughter in San Antonio who says premium gas is hard to come by.

·
2,646 Posts
Thanks for the replies. All I can say is that Church does help me get through these times!

Swapping the entire drivetrain and cluster is okay. It will be a 2000 on the outside and a 2006 under the hood! Nicer transmission, etc. :D

I'm getting crazy and thinking I should also swap in the 2006's heated seats! :rolleyes:

Popping the convertible top from the 2006 to the 2000 is going too far and is out of the question. :calvin:

One consideration for the 2.5 is that it uses regular gas, not the premium gas that the turbo needs. This car is for my daughter in San Antonio who says premium gas is hard to come by.
All that said, yes, it can be done. Would I do it? Nope. Repairing that head will be a heck of a lot less work than doing a swap. Parting out the '06 should yield way more $$ than it would ever take to repair the 1.8T and premium is only .22 more per gallon where I live...just saying.:)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
While I wait on the 2006, I am working on the 2000...

Well, it is going to take a while to get a resolution on the 2006 from the various insurance companies so I am doing the timing belt and head on the 2000.

Meanwhile, enjoy a look at over $10,000 in damage to a 2006 New Beetle Convertible...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quartering hit on RIGHT side left LEFT side damage

Another shot of the potential donor car. Notice that the hit was on the right side but the left rear wheel was pulled to the right so far that it was against the inner fender. :mad:

Meanwhile, the insurance companies are arguing over who is going to decide if the car is totaled. :cool:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's not going to happen.

Unfortunately, my insurance company wants way too much money for the salvage so I won't have a donor car. So, I will just fix the 2000's timing belt and bent valves.

Maybe some other time! :cool:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts