NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If this has been answered elsewhere forgive me...a link would be appreciated.

My daughter has a 2003 NBC 2.0 w/ 6-speed tiptronic and less than 60k miles. When we bought it, we knew it was having transmission issues. It's got all the classic symptoms with hard shifts or reving up then crashing into gear. These symptoms are worse when it warms up.

I'm trying to figure out if I'm better off replacing the valve body for what seems to be in the $700-800 price range (all-in price) or should I go ahead and swap the auto out for a manual transmission. I'm still unclear on the cost there after all is said and done but it seems to be in the $1,200 price range. A manual would be a lot more FUN and that would be my preference all other things being equal.

So here is the real question (and purpose of this post)...Fix Valve Body or swap in a manual transmission?

I'm mechanically inclined (but NOT a mechanic) and I've never worked on a German vehicle. I'm more of a Jeep guy. I have the usual tools and I'm fortunate enough to have a lift in my garage so that makes just about everything auto-related a little easier.

I know I could swap the valve body and I'm pretty sure I could do the transmission swap but it would be a LOT more work. I'm also unsure of some of the 'electrical' modifications that need to be done...I'm less confident there.

·
Registered
3 Posts
If this has been answered elsewhere forgive me...a link would be appreciated.

My daughter has a 2003 NBC 2.0 w/ 6-speed tiptronic and less than 60k miles. When we bought it, we knew it was having transmission issues. It's got all the classic symptoms with hard shifts or reving up then crashing into gear. These symptoms are worse when it warms up.

I'm trying to figure out if I'm better off replacing the valve body for what seems to be in the $700-800 price range (all-in price) or should I go ahead and swap the auto out for a manual transmission. I'm still unclear on the cost there after all is said and done but it seems to be in the $1,200 price range. A manual would be a lot more FUN and that would be my preference all other things being equal.

So here is the real question (and purpose of this post)...Fix Valve Body or swap in a manual transmission?

I'm mechanically inclined (but NOT a mechanic) and I've never worked on a German vehicle. I'm more of a Jeep guy. I have the usual tools and I'm fortunate enough to have a lift in my garage so that makes just about everything auto-related a little easier.

I know I could swap the valve body and I'm pretty sure I could do the transmission swap but it would be a LOT more work. I'm also unsure of some of the 'electrical' modifications that need to be done...I'm less confident there.
So I see there were NO replies... What did you decide to do in the end?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have an automatic 2012 VW Beetle that I drive 200 miles total a day to work three times a week, plus a little in town driving. I knew it was a lot to put on any car and that it would take its toll on my Beetle. The other day it started jolting forward when switching between first and second gear, around 20 mph. Once it’s above that it’s fine, but that’s no help for in-town driving — and I’m not daring to take it on my 100-mile commute.

Kodi nox

1 - 4 of 4 Posts