NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
got NB Toys?
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I might have a lead on a six speed tranny from a Turbo S.

I love my '01 GLX, but I wish it had an extra gear so it would be quieter and use less fuel on the highway.

My mechanic said he might have to drop the engine/tranny to change it. Is this so, or does it just unbolt from underneath? Is adding the new tranny a big deal? Does anyone in the group have one for sale?

Thanks, Howie

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Not sure what is involved with swapping to a 6 Speed from a 5 Speed manual. I think the housing is different and may not bolt directly to your engine. Personally, I don't think it is cost effective. I don't think it will gain you a lot more miles per gallon. The couple of miles you may gain on the highway are going to cost you a bundle.
What is your mileage now? My 2000 1.8 is getting an average of 25mpg That is with 70% city driving. I never took it on a long highway trip but I think it can get about 29mpg on the highway but I doubt any more than that.

Good Luck and keep us posted on what you find out about the swap and how much it ends up costing you.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
This thread may be of interest to you:

Boraparts.com 02J 5 -> 6 speed Conversion Kits! - TDIClub Forums

http://shopping.boraparts.com/product_info.php?products_id=661

This is a conversion kit that uses your present transmission. Probably the cheapest way to do it since if you do a true conversion
to a 6 speed you need a totally new clutch assembly, new axles and front end parts as well as shifter and pedal assembly. It would
cost probably over 4000-5000 bucks to get that done. Again, not very cost effective.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,171 Posts
I get 31mpg highway in my GTI. The 6th gear is pretty nice. BUT! My husband had a '95 Passat and my 6th gear is pretty much the 5th gear that he had in that car. Yes, there is an extra gear, but the gearing is closer together than the 5-speeds.

I'd honestly just get a TDI 5th gear to swap in. I know I've seen the stuff for that for less than $200 and from what I've read its very easy and cheap to do.

·
HP Technician
449 Posts
I've driven both a 5 speed as well as my 6 speed. There is no difference at highway speeds. The difference is more man handling the shifter and clutch to get it to highway speeds with a 6 speed.

Going down the interstate both cars were humming at 3k-4k rpms regardless.

I can cruise back roads going 50mph in 6th gear with 2k rpm on the tach. Go to 5th and it jumps to 3k rpm.

·
Registered
99 Posts

·
Wife's 01 1.8T mechanic
629 Posts
A far better swap is to change your 5th gear ratio for the diesel 5th cog. There is a write up out there somewhere. Check vortex, and TDI club...

·
got NB Toys?
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the input, guys!

I figured that the gearing isn't that much different when you go with the 6-speed tranny. Someone interested in installing that 6th gear with the new $1500 kit figured that it would take about 200,000 miles for it to break even for the cost.

Years ago, I had my '87 Jetta's 5th gear changed, and it made a big difference, for much less cost than changing everything. I will check that out for my NB.

I guess it was just the neat feature of having the Turbo S tranny that intrigued me... having the money and time to do it is a different thing!

Howie

·
Every one calls me Fuzzy
859 Posts
I was told the 6 speeds and 5 speeds had the same final gear but I am not sure about that just heard it.

Sent from my DROID X2 using AutoGuide.com App

·
5/23/10 <3
11,171 Posts
I definitely sit at a lower RPM in my GTI with the 6-speed than I would in my 2.0 with the 5-speed but not sure what the 1.8T 5-speeds are like usually.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts