NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just bought a used 2002 Beetle GLS Turbo 1.8. There's a switch above the rear-view mirror that has popped off, and I'm not sure what it does. It's a 3 way toggle switch, and I can't tell what the icons are. Any idea what it is? And any suggestion on how to replace it?

Thanks!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Any idea what the switch and buttons above the rear view mirror on my 2002 GLS Turbo?

So I just bought a used 2002 Beetle GLS Turbo 1.8. There's a switch and buttons above the rear-view mirror that has popped off, and I'm not sure what it does. It's a 3 way toggle switch, and I can't tell what the icons are. Any idea what it is? And any suggestion on how to replace it? And what do the button do? There's an opening in the backside bottom of the rear view mirror, so seems something is missing.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
I'm assuming it looks something like this -

This one is currently running on eBay, if your needing a replacement
2006 VW BEETLE REAR VIEW MIRROR W/MAP LIGHTS | eBay

Lots of things going on here, I've attached clips from the '02 Owner's Manual, The three position switch in the middle controls your interior lights, the push buttons to each side are the map lights in the bottom of the mirror. If the little thing on the bottom of the mirror is a front to back "flipper" you have a manual mirror, if it's a push button, you have an auto dimming mirror.

MORAV

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm assuming it looks something like this -

This one is currently running on eBay, if your needing a replacement
2006 VW BEETLE REAR VIEW MIRROR W/MAP LIGHTS | eBay

Lots of things going on here, I've attached clips from the '02 Owner's Manual, The three position switch in the middle controls your interior lights, the push buttons to each side are the map lights in the bottom of the mirror. If the little thing on the bottom of the mirror is a front to back "flipper" you have a manual mirror, if it's a push button, you have an auto dimming mirror.

MORAV
That's exactly what I have. The auto-dimming rear view model.

So the issue I have is two-fold. The 3-way switch that turns the lights on\off\door-on popped off, and I tried to stick it back up there and it doesn't work. Is it possible to repair? Or order just the switch?

Also, the buttons to turn on\off map lights didn't do anything, so I looked under the mirror, and there is a empty hole in the mirror, about 3 inches by 2 inches by about 2 inches deep. I'm assuming this is where the light module goes and the light module is just missing? Any suggestion as to a remedy for that?

Thanks for the manual scan, that's nice to have. I don't have a copy of the manual, and the dealership doesn't stock them anymore, wish I could find a PDF on the net, but I can't.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
That's exactly what I have. The auto-dimming rear view model.

So the issue I have is two-fold. The 3-way switch that turns the lights on\off\door-on popped off, and I tried to stick it back up there and it doesn't work. Is it possible to repair? Or order just the switch?

Also, the buttons to turn on\off map lights didn't do anything, so I looked under the mirror, and there is a empty hole in the mirror, about 3 inches by 2 inches by about 2 inches deep. I'm assuming this is where the light module goes and the light module is just missing? Any suggestion as to a remedy for that?

Thanks for the manual scan, that's nice to have. I don't have a copy of the manual, and the dealership doesn't stock them anymore, wish I could find a PDF on the net, but I can't.
I'm certain individual parts are not available for these, as they are sold as an assembly. I would assume the only serviceable thing would be the bulbs. The part number you need is available here.
VW Parts and Accessories
All years should interchange (not convertibles though), as far as I know, but the color will need to match. You most likely have the flannel gray. I understand they can be a little bit of a PITA to get in, but there is a thread around here somewhere on swapping them out, and not something you should be afraid of, they are "plug & play".

You won't find .pdf's on the manual around the web, copyright issues, don't you know. I have read, someone has digital copies that are being sold on the web, but not cheap either, and I believe it must be a licensed site or something.

You've obviuosly seen my OMs FS thread.

There may be some additional information on this thread for your use
http://newbeetle.org/forums/new-member-forum/51021-newbie-welcome-kit.html

MORAV

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm certain individual parts are not available for these, as they are sold as an assembly. I would assume the only serviceable thing would be the bulbs. The part number you need is available here.
VW Parts and Accessories
All years should interchange (not convertibles though), as far as I know, but the color will need to match. You most likely have the flannel gray. I understand they can be a little bit of a PITA to get in, but there is a thread around here somewhere on swapping them out, and not something you should be afraid of, they are "plug & play".

You won't find .pdf's on the manual around the web, copyright issues, don't you know. I have read, someone has digital copies that are being sold on the web, but not cheap either, and I believe it must be a licensed site or something.

You've obviuosly seen my OMs FS thread.

There may be some additional information on this thread for your use
http://newbeetle.org/forums/new-member-forum/51021-newbie-welcome-kit.html

MORAV
Hmm. Okay, that's good advice. I think mine is a cream color. the only thing I'd be afraid of is since it's got the whole panel with the sunroof, temp, mirror, lights, auto-dimming rear-view I'm thinking maybe it's not worth messing with just to get map lights. The side ceiling lights work just fine, as do the visor lights. I hate the idea of replacing a little inconvenience with a bigger issue, hehe.

Thanks for the tip, I'll think it through if I want to replace the unit. Thanks again.

MORAV - thank you very much for the help you've been with it, I appreciate it greatly. I got a great deal on the car, wanted a fun "around town" second car, and this thing is so cute. It's the green turbo with the spoiler and moon roof, etc. I was able to negotiate the price down low because it was all scratched up on the inside plastic, and the manual spoiler control didn't work, and the spoler would come clanking down. By going on this forum, I learned how to remove the scratches (they were just scuffs, NOT scratches), and able to remove the button for the spoler and find that it had come disconnected like many reported on here, fixed, and then lubricate the spoiler gears and now it's completely silent up and down. I feel like I turned a car with a list of problems into a new-feeling vehicle. Very excited.

The only thing that's bugging me is I am having issues registering it. The previous owner put a replacement windshield in it, and the windshield they used has the black strip on the bottom and it's covering the VIN on the dash, so the DMV is saying I have to talk to the CHP and see what they say, and CHP is saying the windshield will have to be replaced so the VIN is visible.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Hmm. Okay, that's good advice. I think mine is a cream color. the only thing I'd be afraid of is since it's got the whole panel with the sunroof, temp, mirror, lights, auto-dimming rear-view I'm thinking maybe it's not worth messing with just to get map lights. The side ceiling lights work just fine, as do the visor lights. I hate the idea of replacing a little inconvenience with a bigger issue, hehe.

Thanks for the tip, I'll think it through if I want to replace the unit. Thanks again.

MORAV - thank you very much for the help you've been with it, I appreciate it greatly. I got a great deal on the car, wanted a fun "around town" second car, and this thing is so cute. It's the green turbo with the spoiler and moon roof, etc. I was able to negotiate the price down low because it was all scratched up on the inside plastic, and the manual spoiler control didn't work, and the spoler would come clanking down. By going on this forum, I learned how to remove the scratches (they were just scuffs, NOT scratches), and able to remove the button for the spoler and find that it had come disconnected like many reported on here, fixed, and then lubricate the spoiler gears and now it's completely silent up and down. I feel like I turned a car with a list of problems into a new-feeling vehicle. Very excited.

The only thing that's bugging me is I am having issues registering it. The previous owner put a replacement windshield in it, and the windshield they used has the black strip on the bottom and it's covering the VIN on the dash, so the DMV is saying I have to talk to the CHP and see what they say, and CHP is saying the windshield will have to be replaced so the VIN is visible.
Thank you, Bella! Glad I was able to be helpful.

Congratulations on finding the Org, and hence finding out how to, and doing your own minor work. Your's is the same as my first New Beetle, color, options, etc, only two years newer. Get some pics and post it up in a thread in the Photo Forum!

The VIN is also located under the back seat, stamped into the body, because the dash can be changed and compromise the number on the dash. May not make a difference, because your state may require it be visible, but I'm not sure why. If it was just for their purposes to do a title inspection, ask if the other is adequate for their purpose and go there with the rear seat removed or ready to lift up. I can look up and provide you the exact location if you need it.

M.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you, Bella! Glad I was able to be helpful.

Congratulations on finding the Org, and hence finding out how to, and doing your own minor work. Your's is the same as my first New Beetle, color, options, etc, only two years newer. Get some pics and post it up in a thread in the Photo Forum!

The VIN is also located under the back seat, stamped into the body, because the dash can be changed and compromise the number on the dash. May not make a difference, because your state may require it be visible, but I'm not sure why. If it was just for their purposes to do a title inspection, ask if the other is adequate for their purpose and go there with the rear seat removed or ready to lift up. I can look up and provide you the exact location if you need it.

M.
Photos to come.

Yes, please tell me where\how to access the VIN under the back seat. I didn't know the back seat was even moveable. That just might save me $160 to replace the windshield.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Yes, please tell me where\how to access the VIN under the back seat. I didn't know the back seat was even moveable. That just might save me $160 to replace the windshield.
I've posted it in my Newbie Welcome Kit thread, go here
http://newbeetle.org/forums/new-member-forum/51021-newbie-welcome-kit.html#post744093
I've also learned it is also on the Door "B" pillar (driver's side door jamb) on a label. Lifting the seat out for access to the one stamped in the body is explained.

If I am reading correctly, it is a Federal Law that the VIN be visible from outside the car. Given this, and if this is true (and I assume that it is, and is not a new law nor one that has expired), who ever installed the windshield violated the law and installed a non-DOT approved windshield, and I would think, if through the previous owner, you can obtain information and proof of the purchase, it would be relatively easy to leverage them into replacing it with a LEGAL windshield. Take a pic of where the VIN should be, and a pic of the manufacturers stamp in the corner (probably passenger's side and you may have to put a dark paper or cloth behind it) and post it up, let's see if we can't help you. I know lots of people in the auto glass industry (not installers, but manufacturers and wholesalers), and you might even have recourse on the manufacturer. I find it hard to believe that even such a windshield would exist. You may still be able to get your local BMV/DMV to overlook this, esp if it is Federal and not State. And as I said, they may only want to verify the number, and not be enforcing the Federal Law. Certainly won't hurt to ask.

M.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've posted it in my Newbie Welcome Kit thread, go here
http://newbeetle.org/forums/new-member-forum/51021-newbie-welcome-kit.html#post744093
I've also learned it is also on the Door "B" pillar (driver's side door jamb) on a label. Lifting the seat out for access to the one stamped in the body is explained.

If I am reading correctly, it is a Federal Law that the VIN be visible from outside the car. Given this, and if this is true (and I assume that it is, and is not a new law nor one that has expired), who ever installed the windshield violated the law and installed a non-DOT approved windshield, and I would think, if through the previous owner, you can obtain information and proof of the purchase, it would be relatively easy to leverage them into replacing it with a LEGAL windshield. Take a pic of where the VIN should be, and a pic of the manufacturers stamp in the corner (probably passenger's side and you may have to put a dark paper or cloth behind it) and post it up, let's see if we can't help you. I know lots of people in the auto glass industry (not installers, but manufacturers and wholesalers), and you might even have recourse on the manufacturer. I find it hard to believe that even such a windshield would exist. You may still be able to get your local BMV/DMV to overlook this, esp if it is Federal and not State. And as I said, they may only want to verify the number, and not be enforcing the Federal Law. Certainly won't hurt to ask.

M.
So good news. Went to the CA Highway Patrol to do a VIN verification, they said no problem if it's not visible on the dash. They confirmed the body frame imprint under the rear passenger seat, sent me back to the DMV and I got my plates. A little bit of a pain, but done with that now, and I can now fully enjoy the great lil Bug :)

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
So good news. Went to the CA Highway Patrol to do a VIN verification, they said no problem if it's not visible on the dash. They confirmed the body frame imprint under the rear passenger seat, sent me back to the DMV and I got my plates. A little bit of a pain, but done with that now, and I can now fully enjoy the great lil Bug :)
I just really enjoy it when I cp make someone's day! So glad THAT issue is resolved!

You had mentioned CHPs somewhere back, so I kinda figured CA. Where 'bouts? I've lived there three times, Twice in La Jolla and once in Newport Beach. Just got back from a couple weeks up in San Josē. Beautiful weather, and beautiful drive down through the Grapevine on the 5 to LA on the way back to Texas.

I'll keep my eye out for a tan r/v mirror assembly for you. I'm always looking because I need an auto dim for my Vert (they're different and rare). Does that feature work on yours?

M.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just really enjoy it when I cp make someone's day! So glad THAT issue is resolved!

You had mentioned CHPs somewhere back, so I kinda figured CA. Where 'bouts? I've lived there three times, Twice in La Jolla and once in Newport Beach. Just got back from a couple weeks up in San Josē. Beautiful weather, and beautiful drive down through the Grapevine on the 5 to LA on the way back to Texas.

I'll keep my eye out for a tan r/v mirror assembly for you. I'm always looking because I need an auto dim for my Vert (they're different and rare). Does that feature work on yours?

M.
Yeah, I am in San Francisco. I bought the Beetle (2002 GLS Turbo) from a seller who had just moved to CA from out of state, and when I took it in for inspection they couldn't read the numbers on the VIN plate at the San Mateo (SF South) DMV, since the windshield that had been replaced covered it with the black strip. So they said I had to go to California Highway Patrol and have a VIN Verification. I called the SF CHP office and they were booked till October, and the other 2 were booked until September end of month, so I called up to the north bay, Corte Madera and they said comon in today. They were super nice... took about 30 minutes. They said they do a ton of verifications, but usually on salvage vehicles, but that mine was really simple because they could see 2 VINs (one on door sticker, and one under the back seat). They ran it through the national database and signed off on my docs, and I went to the DMV and they handed me my plates. Solved :)

The rear view mirror I have has the auto-dim feature, and it works great. My cars have always had flip-switch dim, even my 2009 Toyota which is fully loaded doesn't have the feature. Works great on the beetle, so it's really cool to have. Also love the warming leather seats, never had that on a car either, so it's a cool touch of class, hehe.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
:)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts