NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Peace Love & T.o.D.
2,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2013 T.o.D. Beetle Cruise for a Cause Idea

Ok people, I would like some thoughts or input on a little idea I have been kicking around in my noggin.
Ok, here goes.

Every year we converge on Bryson City to enjoy the roads, the scenery, and the nice people who welcome us each year. The money we bring into the small town for the weekend is not a huge amount but our presence is known by the Beetles cruising the streets and the $2 bill that we hand out, we do make a small impact, on a small community.
But I would like us as a "WHOLE" to maybe make a little bigger/beetle impact.

We probably all have lost a loved one, or someone close to cancer.
Cancer sucks, and there not a lot we can do about it.
But we as a group, can show we care about this disease and the people of the community.

I would like to do a "Cruise for a Cause" cancer run. Maybe take up a collection before heading out Saturday. Last year when we pulled into Ingles grocery store in Robbinsville, there was a bake sale going on, by I think, the Robbinsville Cancer society. A lot of our group went over to purchase yum yum's & nom nom's, and in turn supported the community. I kinda want us to do the same thing, but on a bigger scale.
So that's it in a nutshell. What I need now is some input and some feedback.
Talk to me people. Ideas??? Concerns??? Issues???

·
Cheeeto's Daddy
1,151 Posts
Thoughts....

I think this should be brought to Al and his group of organizers or maiden voyagers before it got posted for public scrutiny.

Judging from the Pizza Party response and the BBQ thread, some people are pretty hard pressed to be even able to afford to go to TOD. I would hate for anyone not to go or feel uncomfortable about going because they may not be able to afford to contribute to a certain, or any, cause.

Either way I think Al needs to weigh in on this.

Chuckie

·
Peace Love & T.o.D.
2,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow...Chuckie ...really??? Huh.....ummmmm ok
Al and I have talked about this for a couple of years. On more then one occasion. And I must say, some of this little idea was conjured up with my Brudahs help.
I will retract the part about friday nite if it makes you feel any better about it. Maybe take up a collection Sat morning.
This is not a mandatory thing. If people want to give, thats up to them. And how much or how little, it's up to the giver.
As far as lack of people jumping on the pizza or BBQ pre pay, I would guess they may be in the same boat as me and getting all the ducks in a row before sending. I know thats a pia for you Chuckie and I see your point. On that note I will get my payment to you sometime this week.
But I dont see how a small fund raiser should give anyone a feeling of not wanting to attend any part of this event.

·
Cheeeto's Daddy
1,151 Posts
If Al is good with it no sweat. I just wanted to make sure he was in the loop is all. Matters not to me if it's a charity run or not. I just wanted to make sure Al wasn't blindsided by it. In fact, I personally think its a great idea.

Don't worry about the pizza party money getting in on time. That can arrive the day before. I just have to have a number for the caterer on the 20th of April so they can buy and prepare the meal. As it looks now, I am probably going to be returning everyone's money for that as we are still about $600.00 short of what we need. That quote was for $800.00 to feed 100 people. The extra dollar was to buy rolls sodas and all the extras we would need. That decision will get made the 20th. As I kept all the PayPal emails I might just send the payments back that way if I have to.

We will cross that bridge if and when we come to it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Peace Love & T.o.D.
2,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
If this goes down like the last few years it will be a mad rush before the 20th as people tend to wait till the last min. Guilty as charged.
I have a feeling people will start blowing up the different threads now that we are getting down to the wire. We still have people going that are not on the list because they have not sent me any info yet. Were at 30 cars now but I hope to gain 10 more.

Anyhoo....lets see what the others say about it.
If people can combine the love and passion of their cars, and combine that with giving something back to the community or a good cause......it's like ying & yang, its a beautiful thing that most people will feel good about themselves for doing, and it also looks good for us, the "Collective"

·
Cheeeto's Daddy
1,151 Posts
Do you know if we have anyone in the group who is involved with or organized something for the American Cancer Society before? They might have some promotional materials or things we could get to the chamber of commerce or the local media to help promote the event. It would also be cool if they had an EPK we could do and use to tag each vehicle with so passers by would see what we are doing. Just a thought.

·
Peace Love & T.o.D.
2,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I was thinking of keeping it a little more local then the ACS. I have nothing against them, they do good thing. But I was leaning toward the Robbinsville cancer society cause they are small time, selling baked goods kinda group, and I think our donation would be better kept local. Just my idea.
I need to get a local on board to da a little leg work for me.
I have someone in mind, gotta shoot him a pm....can I get an awesomesauce.

What the heck is a EPK ???.

·
Cheeeto's Daddy
1,151 Posts
Sorry, Electronic Press Kit. Normally has fliers, cards forms and contact info included for download. Some have approved artwork and posters in them as well. Might be a good starting point for ideas how we can get maximum exposure for the least amount of outlay. They gotta have some fund raising literature or brainstorming files somewhere that we could get ahold of.

·
Peace Love & T.o.D.
2,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I guess I was thinking more in the line of just passing the hat, or boot, like our volunteer fire men and women do around here.

But I see what your saying, and I agree with it. But I am guessing that is over my head, I can barely manipulate this computer.
And the sound of a EPK kinda scares me.

·
Super Moderator
Cup- 2k New Beetle GLS/ 'Chino- 13 Beetle 2.5
20,854 Posts
Yep, Gene and I have talked bout this 2 T.O.D's ago and it's a GO!

Also Gene, Michelle mentioned something about doing something to further impact the Bryson City/Robbinsville area on our behalf. It was shortly after TOD-2012. She shares the same passion as you and is on board in helping you out. Shoot her a PM or even Facebook message her.

Gene, has been a part of the core group pretty much since He started attending T.O.D. My man jumped in full-on and got down to business like a champion and for that i'm forever greatful. Most of those working behind the scenes and on the front row, don't really toot their horn- they just jump right in and get down and dirty to make T.O.D. gooder and gooder, okay, for all you grammar sticklers...better and better.
Those who work along with me are:

The maiden voyagers- governing planning and consultation:

Bob/Raff (Susie)
Steve/Wilky
Tamika/HwDoYuSlpAtNite
Michelle/MichelleRoze
Warren
John/SixChuter (Llona)
Frank/D2Beetle (Anne)
Matt/Cephron
Jack/Mr Chaotica
Nicolia
Pierre/Locksmith
Kristin/KBelle
They constantly stay in my ear, advising me and sharing with me all there is concerning T.O.D. Y'all have no idea how this keeps me going.

Post-Maiden voyagers who are part of the core group:

Gene/2004NBTURBOS
Rob/Techno Trix'd
Shonnel/EvilinaDM101 and Joey/JoeyP
Chuckie
David/VDubYah
Jai
Jerry/Bugman

If i'm leaving out anyone, please accept my apologies.

The aforementioned do everything from:
-Organizing their regions with carabugavans
-T.O.D. logistics
-Hospitality and public relations
-Meal planning
-entertainment
-swap meet and commemorative merchandising.
-pre and post Liaisons and Recon to Bryson City.

It is these aforementioned people that consult with me on all that's going on with T.O.D.; their concerns as well as bringing others concerns to the table. It is from our discussions that final decisions are made.

Any executive decisions I make are in conjunction with or founder's (VW Gary) objectives and purpose, and in line with what we, the maiden voyagers know as Gary's direction and purpose. Yes, I've been knighted T.O.D. chairman; yet, the success of T.O.D. is because of the sum of the parts and not just because of one.

At last year's TOD, I was told by a wise man, to utilize the help that surrounds me more... I thought I was, but I guess not as much as I should. I though about how taxed Gary was with the overload of TOD's growth in 2010; the Maiden Voyagers noticed it too. I told Gary, that I would (as well as the Maiden Voyagers) do all that I could to help ease the load, so He can enjoy TOD as much as the rest of us do. Apparently, the one that vowed to help, became just like Him; for this wise man saw the very same thing I first saw in Gary. This wise man is Chuckie:D

I believe for future reference I need to post who's in the governing body of T.O.D., so all will know; that no one will have the impression that someone else is overstepping their bounds. These are good growing pains, yeah? :)

Chuckie, your words were well adhered to- I can't thank you enough. Kinda like counselor Troy advising Capt. Picard- but Counselor Troy is way hotter, sorry:p. I'm letting others become more hands-on with the event, including yourself. Your passion and concern are GREATLY appreciated.

The passion of all who attend TOD is beyond my comprehension. We have fuel enough that TOD will continue to grow and be successful.

Back in the day, Berea was an enormous GtG; i've always looked up to the Berea crew, and always wanted to attend one. Sadly, Retrorich, passed away and Berea came to a halt...understandably. I don't know the entire workings of what made Berea the success it was, so i'm not the final authority by no means. However I do know Retrorich was VERY well loved, and had a big part of the success of Berea. It is with the advice of "that wise man" that I said, "if I passed away, I'd want enough people involved in T.O.D. to carry it on after I'm gone". So here we are: all the duck are in a row and T.O.D. will live on, through a Myraid of passionate orgers...just as Gary initially planned it:D

To answer the initial question:
In regards to the Beetles for a Cause, I do like the voluntary aspect of this- no pressure on anyone, and interested folk can contribute as they desire. This is something that's not controversial, so anyone can be a part of it. Every drop in the bucket will make a difference. It's still a great idea- run with it.

I will contribute for sure. My contribution will be in the name of a dear friend of ours who's currently battling cervical cancer. How I hope that an end to this horrible disease will come to an end in my lifetime. It's a big hope, but still I hope.

·
Premium Member
3,454 Posts
Y'all can count me in. My daughter shaved her head for cancer last year. My mom battled back from lung cancer last year. My wife's mom lost a battle to pancreatic cancer years ago. Everyone has been touched at one time or another.

·
Apprentice Org-aholic!
1,470 Posts
I am in. Wont be much, but every penny counts! Just lost a friend to a rare form of brain cancer back in October!

·
Premium Member
3,742 Posts
I'm in. My mother in law is a two time survivor of breast cancer and my father in law was officially placed on Hospice Thursday. He was found to have lung cancer that they just can't treat due to other health issues he is facing. The follow up CT scan showed it is growing at an alarming rate. We have been truly touched both on the victorious side and the giving over side.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Cheeeto's Daddy
1,151 Posts
Huh?

Now wait a minute here,

"Counselor Troy is way hotter"

Says who? I've never seen her eat Bacon.

Chuckie

·
Super Moderator
Cup- 2k New Beetle GLS/ 'Chino- 13 Beetle 2.5
20,854 Posts
Now wait a minute here,

"Counselor Troy is way hotter"

Says who? I've never seen her eat Bacon.

Chuckie
Okay, the bacon factor got you the title. But if I see Counselor Troy chompin back on 3 trips...you've lost the crown.

·
Peace Love & T.o.D.
2,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok..so it's a go.
I will be posting a link over on the main thread just so all those that are going will be privy, to whats up.
I will also shoot Michelle a pm to see if she wants to jump on board.
This is all new waters for me so any input is welcomed.

I don't know of any one person who has not been touched with cancer in some way or another.

I lost a sister to breast cancer. She was 38. She blessed this world with two young boys, ages 5 and 8, when she was called away from them. That was 10 long years ago, but it still hurts to this day.
I just left a friends house. He has stomach cancer. His days are numbered, so he is spending them with close friends and family. He knows the outlook is not good, but he fights the fight, no matter what the odds.

We needs to stay on the positive side with this.
The last thing we want is to turn this into a mood killer.
With some Beetle love, we can make a difference.

I have a couple ideas kickin around, so we shall see where this end up.

·
ToD Maiden Voyager
3,412 Posts
Count me in. :)

·
This chick drives a stick
4,854 Posts
This is a great idea, and I'm very glad to be a part of this. I think we're going to make an amazing impact!

1 - 20 of 62 Posts