NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I first purchased my 04 gls beetle in march, I bought some tail light tint and made a mess of it. The worse thing I did was not taking the taillights off of the car while doing it. I had all this excess on the pain after taping it etc. It was a project gone wrong. I eventually bought some spray peel of tint and Used it to make them shady and darker and left it alone. Two days ago, I removed both tail lights from the car,bought some brake cleaner. Sprayed the brake cleaner on the taillights took an old credit card and started scraping the old paint and tint off of them. The Job was successful with a pair of work gloves. After I Removed all the tail light tint and let it try, I went back in with some Rust-Oleum Peel off Lens tint and Sprayed a few light layers. It could probably use some more but They look 100x Better then they did. Before and after pics should be below!:eek:

Attachments

·
Registered
415 Posts
Looking good! Sometimes an epic fail is a great learning experience.

·
Registered
13,127 Posts
I don't know, if you are happy with the results but I'm assuming not, as you are buying new ones? Just keep in mind, that carb cleaner; actually attacks plastic and will make it dull in appearance, kinda "melt" it, which looks terrible (it can attack the paint on your car as well).

I have found the plastics used on the rear tail lights; to be similar to the head lights. SO, you can use a restoration headlight kit; like the one from 3M, to restore the look/clarity of the tail lights, as well.

You could also, use fine sandpaper; in progressively finer grits/steps, to sand your current tail lights down, to remove all of the damaged/dull plastic. Once you are beyond the damaged plastic; the carb cleaner messed up and you will be down into the good plastic and at that point, you can finish it off with the headlight restoration kit polishes. Ultimately, you should end up with clear, shiny tail lights, unless the sun/age has damaged the inner aspects of the plastic. They also, sell plastic tinted covers; if you do not want to mess up, your restored tail light plastics! Good luck with your restoration! :)

·
Registered
415 Posts
I don't know, if you are happy with the results but I'm assuming not, as you are buying new ones? Just keep in mind, that carb cleaner; actually attacks plastic and will make it dull in appearance, kinda "melt" it, which looks terrible (it can attack the paint on your car as well).

I have found the plastics used on the rear tail lights; to be similar to the head lights. SO, you can use a restoration headlight kit; like the one from 3M, to restore the look/clarity of the tail lights, as well.

You could also, use fine sandpaper; in progressively finer grits/steps, to sand your current tail lights down, to remove all of the damaged/dull plastic. Once you are beyond the damaged plastic; the carb cleaner messed up and you will be down into the good plastic and at that point, you can finish it off with the headlight restoration kit polishes. Ultimately, you should end up with clear, shiny tail lights, unless the sun/age has damaged the inner aspects of the plastic. They also, sell plastic tinted covers; if you do not want to mess up, your restored tail light plastics! Good luck with your restoration! :)
That's a good idea Billy. That's actually one of my many projects I want to get done this weekend.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts