NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Chihuahua Whisperer
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was replacing the tail light bulb on my Beetle and I dropped the screw thing down into the fender of the car. ARGH! It didn't fall through on to the driveway and I can't see it to get it out. Any idea where I can get a replacement?

In case my "tail light wing nut screw thingy" name isn't clear, when you go to pop out the tail light, it's held in place by a screw on the assembly itself, and a black plastic nut on the inside of the trunk. I dropped the black plastic nut.

I went to an autoparts store and the guy tried to find it for me, and looked all over the store, but he couldn't find anything like it. It's a simple part.

Any ideas where I get one? Or at least what it is called so I can try to find it?

Thanks! :D

·
Super Moderator
14,714 Posts
Wrecking yard. So sorry that happened. I hate when that happens! :eek:

·
Registered
950 Posts
I'd try jacking up that side of the car, removing the tire and then the wheel well cover shell and see if you can get in there from that direction.

p.s. Use a real jack, not that horror they put in the trunk.

·
JYD, Peppy Pepper, Rico,
596 Posts
According to the beetle bible

According to the beetle bible named Bentley book

the part is called "Knurled taillight mounting nut"

My search on ebay produced NO RESULTS..

So looks like you will have to get the part from the dealer..

good luck if you cant find yours somewhere in the car

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
You're not the first to post this same exact thread. Check everybody on here and the Vortex parting out a car. A nice one would mailk you the part n/c. I know I would if I were parting one out. A TNR said a VW Dealer should have it for sure. Probably a buck or two.

MORAV

·
Premium Member
2,717 Posts
Could always use a wingnut from Home Depot or Lowe's, in a pinch. It probably got caught in the fender liner (if you dropped it in that side).

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Could always use a wingnut from Home Depot or Lowe's, in a pinch. It probably got caught in the fender liner (if you dropped it in that side).
I had suggested that to a poster in another thread, but one, either the poster or the Retailer, couldn't match up the thread. Metric nut, probably, metric wing nut...

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Sorry, wasn't trying to upstage you! My bad, but I did link the thread. That, however, was childish.:rolleyes: Credits are up!

M.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts