VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi folks,

My wife's 2000 NB's tailgate lock system stopped working. I suspected the little pull rod had broken as the electric actuator still worked (you can hear it) but wouldn't unlatch the tailgate. Too, turning the key did nothing. I got the panel off, and sure enough, the rod wasn't connected. However, it's not the rod that's the problem. The little ball on the actuator has snapped off of the arm itself.

I pulled the pin out that hold the arm onto the shaft without realizing there was a spring inside. Naturally as luck would have it (all bad...lol) the spring let go and unwound. Now I'm at a loss as to where the end of the spring hooks into. I don't see any place on the arm other than possibly either of the two slots on it, and I see no place on the retaining ring. The bronze collar that goes around the shaft has 2 tabs. Does anyone know if that's where the spring hooks onto? Either Tab 1 or Tab 2 as in the picture I'm attaching? Sorry... I should have been a little more careful when taking the arm off the shaft, but the spring just popped it off so fast I couldn't see where the end of the spring hooks into.

Thanks - Paul

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks again billymade :). Maybe I need to contact XCman and ask him as to how he managed to reassemble the lock mechanism. In his instructions he warned NOT to remove that shaft pin. However, to replace the broken arm that was necessary. My problem is I let the spring push the arm off of the shaft too fast, so I didn't have a chance to see where the end of the spring sits.

In the pics on his post, you can't see the spring under the arm.

Thanks for the lead though :).

Paul

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Yeah, worst case scenario; buy a used one at a junk yard or look on ebay. A new one; may not be expensive? Check out parts prices from VW here: Volkswagen National eStore

Once, you get the part #; then search online, for the best price.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts