NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
All this & I can cook too
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got a little time to dedicate to the Bug and decided to brighten up the tails just a bit. I might not stay with this, but go with some variation on the theme later on down the road, I am always scheming. I should even be able to fit a LED in there somewhere...

Attachments

·
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Gasoline. Be safe!!! I masked off around the lights to make certain no gas got on the paint and as I removed the tint I would spray it down with glass cleaner to make certain there was no gas getting anywhere I didn't want it. If the window tint is on thick it will definitely take some elbow grease and several passes to take it all off properly.

·
Beetle Owner
45 Posts
Did someone tint the tail lights previously with window tint or something like nightshade?

I would be interested in tinting mine similar to yours. It sort of reminds me of a friends MK3 Jetta GLX VR6. He had the top smoke and the bottom red, looks much sportier than the red and amber.

·
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I tinted them myself shortly after buying the car. I use Rustoleum tint. Clean well and then strip with alcohol, apply a thin layer of tint. Allow to dry completely. Wet sand, clean and strip with alcohol again. I repeated the process three times total and the tinted portions allow a lot of light through and look pitch black. When I clean the car I use cleaner wax on them and buff them out just like a painted surface. A lot of work but it looks much better than just slathering it on thick in one application.

·
Apprentice Org-aholic!
1,471 Posts
Looking good Chef!

·
Registered
950 Posts
I really like the tinting on your Beetle Mr. Chef. Not big on the tinting on the black bug, it looks a bit too dark and monotone.

But on that dark grey it looks very stealth/black ops, like your Beetle might have some missile launchers ready to pop out.

·
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just waiting on the fedex truck... I'm using heat seekers!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts