NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! My beloved nb has developed its first issue. Im having problems with the taillights, the passenger side specifically. It works fine in normal daytime driving without parklights on. It lights up just like it should, just a litte dim. But when you turn the lights on, the park light works but if you use the break it goes off and nothing comes on. I've tried replacing the bulb with no luck. According to google its a 7528 bulb. Got one and it does the opposite. with no lights on it never works, with park lights on it doesnt work until you use the brake. I checked the fuse and it looks fine. Not sure where to look next. Did I pull a rookie mistake and just get the wrong bulb size or could there be another underlying issue? Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
12,130 Posts
According to the sylvania website; you have the right bulb:

https://www.sylvania.com/en-us/applications/automotive-lighting-systems/Pages/lrgmain.aspx

I just went through my whole car and fixed a bunch of non working lights. What I noticed was some sockets get really hot and get damaged/deformed from heat. I cleaned the sockets out with electrical contact cleaner and blew out the sockets, lamp housings with compressed air. Sometimes, the filaments inside can make intermittent contact as they are partially burned out or broken inside. Then I bent the contact springs to create a better connection and used bulb grease to protect/seal the contacts/sockets, replaced bulbs that had bad contacts, some were deformed from heat. The rear brake switch at the pedal is known to fail but it would seem you would have both bulbs not working in that case. The new bulbs and cleaned out lamp assemblies; made all the lights much brighter and they all work now.

I would pull ALL the brake bulbs/lamp housings; that are having problems and use a circuit tester, to confirm you are getting power. I have someone push the brake pedal for me or position something like a broom handle, to keep the brake pedal depressed. Replicate the situation; where they are not working and see if the power is there. If not; then check the bulbs, sockets, contact springs, wiring loom for damage or other problems. Lately, people seem to be indicating; that damaged sockets are causing problems for people. I have noticed; some bulbs not working but had bad contacts at the bulb and cleaning, bending the contacts fixed the problem. I was able to fiddle with the plugs; the light bulbs would turn off, on intermittently;; replacement sockets may be needed if damaged.

I used electrical contact cleaner and electrical dialectic contact grease:

CRC QD Electronic Cleaner, 11 Wt Oz (under $5 at Walmart)

Permatex Dielectric Tune-Up Grease (3 oz) Part No. 22058

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Most likely a ground problem or a compromised connection inside the bulb socket.

Often a $10 test light may be a good tool to verify grounds and even using it as a supplemental/parallel ground if the bulb lights then this means the primary ground is weak or has too much resistance.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
lights

The last time I had this problem it wind up being two issues, the bulbs kept getting loose in the sockets and the hazard flasher relay was bad. haven't had anymore tail light issues since then. good luck man

Attachments

·
Registered
12,130 Posts

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
same

intermittently, I had same issue as he did, sometimes the tail light would go out when I would press the brakes and sometimes the flashers would blink faster meaning it lost contact or bad bulb. I replaced that relay it was not too expensive.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts