NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are the take five wheels, (I think that's what they're called, correct me if I'm not right) with color inserts readily available? I'm starting to think those would look good on my bug. Thanks
Bob

·
Banned
3,877 Posts
If these are the ones your talking about they are listed as $599.00 per set of four Not quite the same insert. I heard the real inserts are more expensive than the wheels!! anyways this place that is selling them is about twenty five muinutes away from me if I wanted them. But I don't.

·
Poopship Destroyer
12,736 Posts

·
TDi GO!
2,637 Posts
There was a time that the inserts were $90 apiece at the VW dealer (Not per set, per piece.) That's 20 inserts for one set of wheels...you do the math. Not sure what they charge now.

I love the Take Fives, they are my favorite VW wheel after the 20th AE's.

·
Me Gusta!
718 Posts
GatorBeetle said:
There was a time that the inserts were $90 apiece at the VW dealer (Not per set, per piece.) That's 20 inserts for one set of wheels...you do the math. Not sure what they charge now.

I love the Take Fives, they are my favorite VW wheel after the 20th AE's.
Holy crap :eek: That is $1800 per set + wheel cost. You could get a nice set of aftermarket rims for half that. I suggest you go to TireRack and look around for wheels and tires. You could probably get a nice set of wheels and tires mounted for about $1500 or less. I just got Mille Miglia HT3 with Kumho SPTs for $1200 shipped. They have a sale on some Mille Miglia wheels and this one for example, Click Click, goes for $109 a piece for 18" rim and looks pretty sexy. I also love the look of Ultraleggeras and also are very light at 18Lbs!

Anyway, good luck on hunting down the wheels you want ;)

·
Banned
3,877 Posts
Oyveychris said:
Are the inserts plastic or metal?
They should be made of solid gold for those prices!! My guess is they are diecast metal. If they are plastic I would be really po'ed paying $90.00 for one. It makes total vw sense to design a wheel and tool up to make it only to stupidly price it out of reach of everyone.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
gilligan said:
If these are the ones your talking about they are listed as $599.00 per set of four Not quite the same insert. I heard the real inserts are more expensive than the wheels!! anyways this place that is selling them is about twenty five muinutes away from me if I wanted them. But I don't.
The wheels shown in the above picture (silver wheels with what look like charcoal inserts) are called Monte Carlos and came on the GTI if I remember correctly. The "inserts" really don't come off. These are not the Take 5 wheel though they are very close.

The colored inserts on the Take 5 wheels run around $35 to $37 each - 4 that are alike and 1 that allows for the valve stem. Still pretty pricey. The inserts are plastic.

·
Premium Member
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks everyone for the information.:)
I'll be saving my rubles a little longer and doing some more looking. I'm pretty much sold on the take fives.

Thanks again!

·
beetle driver for life
1,151 Posts
Somebody (I dont remember who) on the old .org was running the take five and said that dirt would fill in behind the inserts and throw off the balance on the wheels. But they do look like they would be very hard to keep clean.

·
Premium Member
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yelojkt said:
Somebody (I dont remember who) on the old .org was running the take five and said that dirt would fill in behind the inserts and throw off the balance on the wheels. But they do look like they would be very hard to keep clean.
That's not good news, maybe if they're any current users that could comment on that.
Thanks.

·
Poopship Destroyer
12,736 Posts
yelojkt said:
Even still, this is a small issue and truly would only be an issue for people who didnt take care of their car. How much time out of your day would it take to remove the inserts and pop em in the dishwasher?? That and a little powerball on the rims themselves and you'd be good to go. Dirt building up anywhere is just laziness.

My vote is to get the rims Capt. They are one of my favorite rims hands down.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
I actually had a set of Take 5 rims. I also have a friend that has had 2 bugs with these rims (Snap Orange and the Flint edition - has burgundy inserts). There is no more dirt build up under the inserts than what builds up on the interior of the wheels. Its mainly brake dust. If your rims are out of balance, then you have something else going on.

The inserts are easy to take off, but you must be very careful to not over-torque the screws and break the plastic. That would be so un-fun. I wouldn't put the inserts in the dishwasher only because the heat of the dry cycle could potentially warp the plastic. I soaked mine in a combination of dishwashing liquid and amonia. I also used a mini-bottle brush (look in the baby dept - called a nipple brush) to get into the corners). Powerwashing works well too. I waxed the inserts before I put them back on so they would be a little easier to clean.

The Take 5's are just so darn good looking they are worth the effort.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts