NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Carfax report looks good, the year/model reports look good, the test drive went great... I pick up my 2000 1.8L turbo Beetle tomorrow! :)

Meet "Egglatina" so named for a character in the children's book "The Borrowers". (Had to do it with that white paint!)

This will be my second bug. The first was a restored '67 with a 1776 engine, that has since moved on to a different owner:

I'm glad to be joining a bug forum again and look forward to learning a lot from the other bug owners here!

·
Super Moderator
20,813 Posts
Welcome Claire and congrats:banana:

Glad to hear the all is in order with Egglatina. Did they do the timing belt and water pump as well: hope so- one less thing for you to have to deal with.

Thanks for posting the pics- keep on posting them. Our bugs deserve the exposure:).

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! Yes to the timing belt, but no to the water pump, unless it is typical to do the two together? They only mentioned the timing belt. I had read that on other forum posts and was going to ask them if the water pump had been taken care of also.

·
Super Moderator
14,714 Posts
Welcome to the Org, :wave2: and Welcome to the New Beetle! :party:

I hope you love yours as much as I love mine! :)

·
Super Moderator
20,813 Posts
Thanks! Yes to the timing belt, but no to the water pump, unless it is typical to do the two together? They only mentioned the timing belt. I had read that on other forum posts and was going to ask them if the water pump had been taken care of also.
Great news:banana:

Chances are good that they did the water pump as well. You're correct- they TB & WP are in the same area- I'd ask them anyway. If they're reputable mechanics, you should get a yes on that too:).

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, I pick up the car at 2pm today so I will ask then if the water pump was done at the same time. I will also ask for a copy of the reciept to keep with the car.

·
Old & New Beetles
2,244 Posts
Hi!

Welcome to the org :)

I think you´re like me... I can´t live without Bug(s) :p
I have both old and new Beetle ;)

Greetings from Finland.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
"Houston the egg has landed. Repeat, the egg has landed." ;)

Just finished up the sale, the seller was a small lot and they did not know if the water pump was done at the same time that the timing belt was, only that for sure the timing belt was done. So I am guessing I should be able to tell if it is the original WP or if it was recently replaced just by looking at it.

Another question, since the car just passed 100K miles, if it is the original, I should replace the water pump even if it is functioning just fine at this time, right?

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts

Just finished up the sale, the seller was a small lot and they did not know if the water pump was done at the same time that the timing belt was, only that for sure the timing belt was done. So I am guessing I should be able to tell if it is the original WP or if it was recently replaced just by looking at it.

Another question, since the car just passed 100K miles, if it is the original, I should replace the water pump even if it is functioning just fine at this time, right?
"Houston the egg has landed. Repeat, the egg has landed."
With that, I have to ask, are you a fellow Houstonian?

I would even question that the TB has been replaced without a receipt for the shop that did the work. Visually it can be impossible to tell, probably easier to visually tell with the WP, and yes, that too should be replaced as the original has plastic impellers and is at or beyond its' useful life. Basically, if it is the original, you are on borrowed time.

Without hard eveidence of the timing belt having been done, and the pertinent mileage, you might want to consider budgeting for same, as depending upon the mileage at which the original was replaced, at 100k you may well be due to replace it again.

If the Bug came with the original Owner's Manual, it should contain the original selling Dealer's information, and they MAY be able to provide you with previous service information. You might be able to obtain this info from VWofA with the VIN. Don't ever count on a third party reporting agency such as Carfax for information, typically very little information, aside from title and registration info, makes it there. You should also plan a trip to a VW Dealer to update the change in ownership and to have them run the VIN for applicable recalls and TSBs.

This thread I have might provide you some more information as a Newbie
http://newbeetle.org/forums/new-member-forum/51021-newbie-welcome-kit.html

MORAV

·
Super Moderator
20,813 Posts

WOOT! Congrats on sealing the deal:banana:

My guess is if the previous owner was new beetle savvy, they know that when the timing belt is changed, that the water pump is to be done at the same time. It's like knowing that when you put on a left sock, you have to put the right one on too. Now granted, this is coming from a 10 year new beetle owner, who's encamped here in the forums:D. Still, from my school of thought, it would be stupid for anyone not to know to change the water pump when the changing the timing belt. The job has a good bit of labor in it, and it's best to do all you can while you're in that area. Try and get more info if you can on who did the job, to put your mind at ease:)

The issue with the water pumps, other than getting old, is that the impellers on the pump are made of plastic- brainiacs at VW, go fig:dunno:. Anyhoo, at about the time the timing belt needs replacing, is the time that the plastic water pump impellers get brittle and fail... they just break apart. Some water pumps have failed in the 60,000 -70,000 mile range. You'll know if you have water pump issues when your bugs runs hot constantly. If your temp light starts flashing red, pull over and don't run it hot... not good at all, tragic even. The water pump seal can also fail, causing water leakage around the housing where the TB and WP are located. Usually the failure of the impellers are the reason for replacement. BTW, better water pumps are now available, which feature metal impellers, which should've been done in the first place.

My guess is that whoever did the job is privy of all these things and took care of the whole shootin' match. Glad to hear that you're getting a written document of the timing belt work- good for you.

Looking forward to tons of pics:D

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Answering all the questions-

Nope, I'm not in Houston, I'm in California. Santa Cruz Mountains.

The car came from a small lot, as-is with no warranty. It had been a fleet car and was bought through an auction by the lot. The previous owner when it was a fleet vehicle told the auction that the timing belt had just been changed. It was not done buy the people running the lot, so I've really got no way to check other than to have it looked at.

There was no owner's manual with the car dang it, and they are freakin' expensive! $45 is the best price so far.

And we're off to a bit of a rough start. Although the car is running great, the check engine light came one. I tried to have the diagnostic done locally and the on-board computer wasn't able to communicate with the mechanic's computer. They said I would have to take it to a VW dealer that it probably needed to be flashed. So I went to a dealer and they can't fit me in until Monday, but both places reassured me that as long as the car is running fine and the light isn't flashing that it is OK, that there are more than 150 things that can trigger the check engine light, everything from a loose gas cap will do it.

So that said, I have an appointment Monday and hopefully will get the matter resolved without too much trouble. Not a fun way to start out though.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Strange that a vehicle with 100k and 13 yrs old would be coming off a lease.

Do a little research. If your visiting a Dealer on Monday, they may be willing to give you the name of the original delivery Dealer. They cannot access service records from that Dealer, only a record of warranty and recall work that has been preformed. Be sure to complete a change in ownership while there. If you can get the name of the original delivery Dealer, call them and see if they have any service records. Unfortunately, because of privacy laws, there is no legal way to obtain any previous owner's name(s).

M.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks,
I did a Carfax report and there where three owners, two on leases. The last owner was when it was a fleet vehicle. All three owners were in Oaklahoma. It shows that scheduled maintenance was performed, but not a lot of details about it. I can see all the way back that it has been maintained, but not a lot of the details and it doesn't appear to have had any problems fixed, just maintenance.

·
Super Moderator
14,714 Posts
Oh, I love Boulder Creek! I grew up in the Bay Area, and we camped many times at Big Basin State Park. Oh, memories.... :)

Yes, there are a hundred reasons for a CEL. Hope yours is a minor one. Again, Welcome to the Cool White New Beetle! :kiss:

·
Registered
66 Posts

congrat on your new beetle
am wondering if is possible to know the difference the stock water pump and a newer pump just by looking at it ?.i dont know if my has ever been replaced.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts