NewBeetle.org Forums banner

What weekend would you like for Talimena 2013?

• October 12th, 2013

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • October 19th, 2013

Votes: 11 84.6%
  • November 2nd, 2013

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • November 9th, 2013

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 571 Posts

·
I'm not a dude.
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm getting an early start on planning Talimena 2013 this time. PushingFifty, MattyD, and I completed the "sort of" maiden voyage this past weekend, thanks to SixChuter for the idea to begin with.

The drive was absolutely beautiful, I cannot believe I live about 2 1/2 hours from it and have never done it before. Next year, I want to set a goal of at least 10 beetles. We turned heads just the 3 of us, it'd be awesome to get even more.

The idea behind Talimena was started by PushingFifty. He wanted an all New Beetle event located more centrally in the US since Roswell and Tail of the Dragon are kind of out of reach for some of us. We took the idea and ran with it. Ultimately, we want this to be a major newbeetle.org event, taking place in the late fall so it won't interfere with other existing events.

Here's a few pictures from Talimena 2012 :)

A picture of the road:

Attachments

·
I'm not a dude.
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
The final date for the drive will be October 18th-20th, 2013! Itinerary TBA.

·
I'm not a dude.
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
**Also saved for info**

·
Premium Member
2,161 Posts
Oct 19 would be perfect. It's a week later and still not into November, which would not work for me. Nobody at my place of work gets time off in November or December, as they are the busiest months of the year. Put simply, I wouldn't be able to go. Since I'm one of the founders, that would suck.....Ten Beetles is a good goal to shoot for, but I hope October works for everyone. Even Oct 26 would be OK, unless that's the weekend of your SoWo deal.

·
I'm not a dude.
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oct 19 would be perfect. It's a week later and still not into November, which would not work for me. Nobody at my place of work gets time off in November or December, as they are the busiest months of the year. Put simply, I wouldn't be able to go. Since I'm one of the founders, that would suck.....Ten Beetles is a good goal to shoot for, but I hope October works for everyone. Even Oct 26 would be OK, unless that's the weekend of your SoWo deal.
Nope, SoWo is in May.. just thought Halloween weekend might not be good for some people. :)

·
Super Moderator
20,813 Posts
This is too awesome!
First congrats on a successful GtG!
Mad props for starting the thread now. With bumping the thread, throwing an invite to new orgers, as well as our local clubs, T13 should be surprisingly bigger!

I'm imagining with my mind's eye on the "scenic" aspect of Talimena. The mountains, the roads and the changing of the leaves. Lord willing, I can make T13.

As you all are planning, keep in mind that of the Berea Fall foliage tour in October- not sure if that's etched in stone as an annual thing though. It would be great to have some of the Ohio crew join in, making your GtG even bigger.

Berea, is one of the oldest GtG locations in our nB history, albeit not like it was in the earlier days. That's why I mentioned it.

Props again to you Maiden Voyagers. It's too awesome seeing a re-emergence of new beetle regional/national events. And with the 2012+ on the scene, the GtG's can only get bigger. Kinda reminds me of the old new beetle days:D

·
Everett Street in May
3,204 Posts
Posting so that I can follow the fun. Pics from this year make me want to run this road very much.

Maybe T13 is the year to do it?

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
I'm not a dude.
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Posting so that I can follow the fun. Pics from this year make me want to run this road very much.

Maybe T13 is the year to do it?

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Of course ;)

·
I'm not a dude.
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
There's still a glitch in the math with the poll. Now there are 6 total votes, 1 for 11/2 and 5 for 10/19, which should be 17% and 83% respectively. Has anyone else noticed this?
Yeah, I noticed, I guess I just didn't care :p

The main thing is seeing how many votes for each date, oh well if the percentage is wrong. I allowed multiple votes, so you can vote on which days you can go. That may be why.

·
Premium Member
2,161 Posts
Well, it's kind of like this, too: I don't mean to sound pompous, but this whole trip was largely my idea and so planning next year's date at a time when one of the founders can't make it would be like organizing a Rolling Stones concert without Mick Jagger! :p I hope that didn't come off as arrogant, but do you know what I'm saying?

·
I'm not a dude.
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, it's kind of like this, too: I don't mean to sound pompous, but this whole trip was largely my idea and so planning next year's date at a time when one of the founders can't make it would be like organizing a Rolling Stones concert without Mick Jagger! :p I hope that didn't come off as arrogant, but do you know what I'm saying?
Yeah, I just added those to see if there was any interest.. I can't really remove them from the poll lol

I need to start tagging more beetles locally, since most people I already know locally are lame and don't do G2G's :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
2,161 Posts
I realize there's not a whole lot to talk about at the moment, but this thread needs to be kept alive so it doesn't fade away into oblivion, especially if the Talimena Drive ever has a hope of becoming a third major water-cooled Beetle event along with Roswell and ToD. If the Org would allow it, I'd like to make this event a permanent fixture in the Events & Planning section just as is Roswell, ToD, and even the now-defunct Texas NB Roundup. I'm talking boldface like they are, particularly since this is for NBs and 21st-century Beetles only and not just another VW show. Does anyone know how to make such a request? Such a move would draw much more attention as opposed to something that is just clumped into the Southwest section. If Roswell and ToD get their own headings, then Talimena should, too.

1 - 20 of 571 Posts