VW Beetle Forum banner

What weekend would you like for Talimena 2013?

• October 12th, 2013

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • October 19th, 2013

Votes: 11 84.6%
  • November 2nd, 2013

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • November 9th, 2013

Votes: 0 0.0%
521 - 540 of 571 Posts
Discussion starter · #523 ·
Wow this thread is dead, IT'S TODAY GUYS IT'S FINALLY HERE!!! GET EXCITED!! :D

Wow. What a great turn out. 8 Orgers, 2 locals and a friends GTI showed up. Couldnt have asked for better weather. Finally met a couple friends and made new ones; what the NB experience is all about.

The drive started out rough, as I forgot how to get there.....twice. the first drive was great. Ended in Mena, photo shoot at the Esso station followed dinner at the Limetree Inn Buffet. Mm cabbage! I tried callards (thats what that green stuff was, right?) Eeeeeew. Ha. Got back to Poteau enjoyed Braums for the first time, took a dip in the hot tub.

Sunday Pat and Bill departed us, and the rest of us took a memorial slaying of the TSD. Almost went GTA on a group of bikers who ruined the more fun parts of the road by making it SLOW. Also the Rich Mountain fire tower was finally open, offering up some spectacular views. We almost lost Ana because of the wind. Ha. Got to Mena, photos at the Esso and the we said our good byes.

I took the drive backwards back to Poteau, to stay sunday night. I must say, it was tough going a different way. But the scenery is recommended. Just brilliant. Now its my turn to head home tomorrow. Sad. I am returning to snow. :(

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Attachments

i had a great time. i got to meet people from the org and it was a great jump start back into the vdub scene.

so the first run was great, until i popped my intercooler hose. but antoine came with the right tools and i fixed it. that part of the drive was AMAZING because we were taking the corners at 70-80 and no traffic.

the second run was fun except for the slow bikers. the ol dgas station was pretty cool.

on our way home we shot down an old country road with anna leading the way. it was so much fun until we hit I-30 and i remembered i was going back to the concrete jungle of Dallas. i kinda got sad because i had so much fun with everyone from the org in the country.

cant wait for the next org event.... lets do this!!

-jd

Dustin - thanks - you did a great job of leading!
Was fun attending an event instead of planning and running it for a change.:D

Thanks guys for getting together last year to figure it out...even with a bumpy start we started early enough to enjoy the first run and end with some food.

So - turns out I know someone on Facebook that lives in Mena, Ark. Maybe I can get some more local information for next time. She did say there was something called "The Lodge" that was opening by next year this time - it is on that "Biggest Hill" Though I bet they won't be $54 a night. LOL
Maybe we can at least get some good suggestions for dinner in Mena next time - unless Dustin wants more cabbage and Jason wants more little girl sneeze germs....oh, and salt.

Attachments

Discussion starter · #534 ·
Dustin - thanks - you did a great job of leading!
Was fun attending an event instead of planning and running it for a change.:D

Thanks guys for getting together last year to figure it out...even with a bumpy start we started early enough to enjoy the first run and end with some food.

So - turns out I know someone on Facebook that lives in Mena, Ark. Maybe I can get some more local information for next time. She did say there was something called "The Lodge" that was opening by next year this time - it is on that "Biggest Hill" Though I bet they won't be $54 a night. LOL
Maybe we can at least get some good suggestions for dinner in Mena next time - unless Dustin wants more cabbage and Jason wants more little girl sneeze germs....oh, and salt.

lmao collards and little girl snot, yum! Kat and I were talking about how that dinner did not agree with us the next morning!
I had a blast with everyone! And I'm so proud of the turnout. From 3 cars to 10. I really wasn't expecting that kind of turnout. I think now would be a good time to talk about things we want to do differently for next year while the whole thing is still fresh in our brains.

How does everyone feel about the location in Poteau for lodging? I did talk to the lady at Days Inn, and we can do a group rate if we book early enough (and not on a balloon festival weekend!) However, if anyone has any other ideas, I want to hear them! I would be down to check out this "lodge" that's opening in Mena.

About the drive itself, any suggestions?
I think the trees were more colorful last year, but that's because we got a TON of rain this summer in OK.. normally all the grass is dead by now and everything is still green.

As far as food goes... I definitely think we should find out from more locals what places to go to.

Thanks for the great time everyone! Lots of good memories and lessons learned... I now know that Minnesota does in fact have lakes, 10,000 of them ;)

Hopefully I'll get some pictures up tomorrow, left my camera at home!

Did anyone get the 2013 Beetles information so we could invite them back? I got the 06 beetle on Fb told her to add everyone. As far as the drive it was very beautiful so worth driving it twice(minus the bikers) I have nothing negative to say but maybe make a sign to get more locals to tag alone. I love poteau it was a very nice and friendly town!!!

Be neat to see the article that the '08 was going to try to get printed.:p

If she is successful, maybe they can put us on the calendar next year so the local NB owners will know when we will be in town again.
Great idea.

Hi everyone:

It's Monday 5:00 PM CST and I just got home. Since everyone knows I'm a dinosaur and don't have a Smart phone or, for that matter, even a laptop, I'm seeing a computer for the first time in 3 days! :p

I wish I could have gone on the second run, slow bikers or not, but my vacation was cut short as it was, and I didn't want to get back Tuesday and then have to go in to work that night.

I was very pleased with the turnout even though 75 Shot didn't make it. The weather was great and so was the cruise. I agree 100% with Randi: Now is the time to start planning Talimena 2014 while everything is fresh. I will start a Planning thread in this Events section. :)

I really wanted to meet you, too, Kristen, and thank you for taking the time to ask if I made it there OK. That was very nice and greatly appreciated. As you could probably tell from the pic Ana took, I didn't exactly look my best after being awake for 39 straight hours, but I got there in one piece. :p

I started a 2014 planning thread, but I fear nobody sees it, because for some reason, it's not in the Southwest section. :confused:

I'll try to copy and paste it to the appropriate area.

521 - 540 of 571 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.