NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK, so, I am IggysMom, aka Kristin, or, the sweet, young, innocent, wrench turning, breath of fresh air to some. I am a member of Duval Dubs-dD thanks to my good friends in that group with whom I have already had the opportunity to have a rocking good time. We have shared a couple of breakfasts, a dinner in Brooksville, and an awesome day at Jingle Bugs. I love these people with all my little VW heart. It has been so nice to have some like minded people for Iggy and I to do things with. I personally can't wait until May for my first ToD get together where I will get to meet even more of you fun org folk. Al has said this, and it is so true...The Tampa crew is growing, we need to get together down here on a regular basis like the dD group does. I spoke with Jason and Herby down here and we were talking about making the First Fridays VW get together in Brooksville something that we do on a regular basis. Not only is it a bunch of VW people; but the food there is absolutely amazing. I know that I for one am going to be there tomorrow for the second time, although it won't be the same without the Jax crew; but I know that is a long drive to make on pretty much no advance notice...lol. I am sure if we do this regularly though they will probably come once in a while just to hit the old B-ville stomping grounds or maybe just to raise a glass to beetles that donate fuel pumps in the area? I did meet a bunch of other great people there though that are actually from my area and thought maybe they would want to join me so I figured I'd post this and keep the thread open for later goings on in the Tampa Bay area.

Now of course tomorrow is quite last minute and it was not planned that way (although I am a last minute, spur of the moment type of gal and Iggy is forced to go along with it because she is my car and she goes where I do whether she likes it or not ;)); but, between a horrid bug (the bad kind, not the cute round kind) that made it's way through our family this month and the holidays, I didn't get my stuff together quick enough. I have been scouring the intrawebs for information about that cruise-in for a while now with no success. I finally found the name of a group that did get togethers there and sent an e-mail out to an old ad I found about the cruises in hopes that it was the right one (the last post on that page was from 2010 I think). Don't you know that I actually got a response and it is the same group. They still do the cruise in every first Friday and no registration is required, just show up with your Dub. Unfortunately, I found out today which is the day before tomorrow which is the next cruise-in :shy:. At least I know for all future cruise-in dates who to contact and all that nonsense. For those of you in my area that are just as impulsive as I am and want to join me for some good times and good coneys or whatever you choose to eat (picture old time diners with gobs of great greasy bad for you food like coney dogs, chili dogs, bacon wrapped corn dogs, bacon wrapped coney chili dogs, fried pickles, probably could get bacon wrapped fried pickels if you asked, and of course beer) come on down and join me in Brooksville tomorrow. We can leave the planning ahead part of this game for next month. The one after tomorrow would be February 1st...see, I'm already getting the hang of this planning ahead thing. I'll have it down for sure by March :p.

So, I guess the jist of this particular message in this thread is...anybody around here want to hang out in Brooksville with me tommorrow? (I even hear tell of an air breather in the region with a common trauma decal for his bug :eek:).

The address is
1112 E Jefferson St
Brooksville, FL 34601

The Cruise-in starts at 6pm and goes on until close

Hope this is the start of many more things in Tampa.

·
Super Moderator
Cup- 2k New Beetle GLS/ 'Chino- 13 Beetle 2.5
20,854 Posts
Brooksville is getting a lot of pub these days:lol:

So glad to hear you all are growing your own collective there in the bay area. Indeed the food is awesome and well worth the trip.

I have an old band shirt- wonder if they'd like it for their commemorative wall?

Anyooo y'all have fun and take some pics!

·
Premium Member
3,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I see you found the thread. So far it looks like this time out will be just me and Herby and maybe Steve and Lisa depending on the weather. DH doesn't want to go to dinner that early so I told him he could just meet me there whenever he was ready to eat...lol. Like I said, this one was really last minute with all I had going on last month. We will see what next month brings :D

Brooksville is getting a lot of pub these days:lol:

So glad to hear you all are growing your own collective there in the bay area. Indeed the food is awesome and well worth the trip.

I have an old band shirt- wonder if they'd like it for their commemorative wall?

Anyooo y'all have fun and take some pics!
Brooksville has a lot of pubs? Huh? LOL...jk jk

Your shirt would fit right in there. You should ask. I can see it now..."And on display here alone is the band shirt formerly worn by B-Ville's own native son Al, who later married the also B-Ville famous Val." They will deffo have to put a protector around that and lock it up or I might have to steal it (which would probably make it pretty awkward to later ask you to autograph it for me, huh? :))

·
Premium Member
3,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Three org bugs actually made it out to First Friday at Coney Island Drive In for February. Jason and his whole crew were there along with Eggy the wonder bug. Steve and Lisa were there with their son and Bug Bite, who was looking awesome in his new shoes. I was there with my 21 year old daughter and her boyfriend and Iggy, who got a brand new green dash put in while we were there in the parking lot (had to wait for Jason to tell me how to remove the old dash before I could do it). We all had a ball. It was chilly; but they had a fire going out in the parking lot and there was an air breathing '59 beetle with a kicking sound system housed in a vintage suitcase sitting on the luggage rack on top of the car. Talk about a great blending in idea. It was definitely a sleeper.

The organizer of this VW g2g said that for June they have a live band arranged already. It's going to be a big step up. Even the manager behind the counter told me about the band when I was up there ordering food for Herby since he couldn't make it. Sounds like they are just as excited about it as we VW people are :D

Of course I brought my camera; but I forgot that I left my card plugged into my computer at home :rolleyes:

I did manage to get a few pics with my phone though...

·
Premium Member
3,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I went in January; but there were only 3 cars there total including mine (Steve and Lisa with Bug Bite made 4; but they were there earlier than I was). It was a rainy, dreary day that nobody wanted to go out in (except the crazy ones like myself). I had my 16 year old and a friend of hers with me that time (mine is the one with the fried pickle hanging out of her mouth in the pic with the B-ville sign...lol). The food there is amazing. They even had a Christmas tree topped with, what else? A coney dog of course. The blue bug is the one that has the sound system enclosed in a vintage suitcase. It belongs to the guy that organizes the g2g. Herby missed this one too; but got food delivered. I think that for March I will personally have to drag him by the ear kicking and screaming so he can be with us all and get his own food ;)

·
Premium Member
3,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
OK guys...first Friday for march actually falls on march 1st. That's only 8 days away. I plan on being there. Anybody else besides Iggy and Bug Bite planning to attend?

So far Coney Island drive inn has not let me down. They are consistently worth the drive to Brooksville. It is a wonderfully friendly down home atmosphere that you just dont find every day anymore. This is where all the nice people went when they disapeared...lol. Great food and great staff make it a great place to hang. Add to that the company of some like minded VW folks and its just downright fun. So if you are close enough to Brooksville to make this trip and have the time to do it please feel free to stop by.

Even if you aren't that close to Brooksville, feel free to stop by wink wink...jax isn't that far off...lol.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 6 of 6 Posts