NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting ready to replace top. Current top is tan, but has black marks that I can't get rid of. I purchased the car used, it is '08. Is it possible to stay on top of the cleaning and treatment of a new top and keep the marks at bay?
Or do I just go with a black top?

·
Beetleman
430 Posts
The tan fabric top is next to impossible to keep clean. Even if you treat the fabric (which you should) with Raggtop, dirt and road grime will still imbed itself into the top and make it exremely difficult to clean. It sounds like you've already figured that one out :)
I have a black top on my NBC and even with annual Raggtop treatments, it still gets fairly dirty under normal usage. The Raggtop helps to preserve the fabric and makes cleaning a bit easier but at least with black, you don't get the black marks showing and the only thing that really shows up are few creases where the top folds when in the down position.

So, if you're going to replace the top, I'd recommend black. It'll save you some headaches after you use it a couple times.
Good luck with the swap.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I originally wanted a tan top because I love the way it looks but wound up with black and am really glad I did. Mostly because whenever I see a tan top it is dirty and I know that would drive me crazy!

·
Registered
762 Posts
Tan tops will discolor. Sure you could use something like Sem brand spray dye to freshen it up every so often.... but black hide wear and tear better. Plus, I think the black tops are cheaper than the others.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Yeah, I'm not real crazy about the tan top either, but that's the way it came and until the top either gets ripped or damaged in an accident, it will remain. It certainly is a pain in the rear to keep clean....I use the Rag-top and still that isn't enough.

One thing I can say about the tan with the Lazer Blue...it sure looks sharp and I've had numerous compliments on the color combination...just that the color of the top stinks. :-(

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
I have owned many convertibles over the years, but only one had a black top . . . that was my first convertible and my last with a black top. The dark top increases interior temperatures tremendously which is a great concern if the air conditioner either wasn't ordered or if it ceases to operate and you can't or don't want to lower the top. Even after four years with regular use of the top and most of that time parked outside, my NBC still had no annoying black marks on the top . . . shampooed with gentle canvas shampoo every-other week and treated once every three months. An option when ordering a new top is to specify pin-point grain vinyl rather than the canvas . . . the upkeep will be somewhat less and other than in close-up situation the appearance isn't that much different . . . . of the four other convertibles that I currently own, all have the pin-point grain vinyl convertible tops (all are white with tan interior liners).

I must admit that I am stunned that a 2008 should be in need of a new top. I have yet to replace a top on one of my convertibles before it has attained its twentieth birthday.

Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Getting ready to replace top. Current top is tan, but has black marks that I can't get rid of. I purchased the car used, it is '08. Is it possible to stay on top of the cleaning and treatment of a new top and keep the marks at bay?
Or do I just go with a black top?
Black lines (I assume that is what you are dealing with), are typically caused by lowering and leaving down for extended periods, damp or wet fabric. Since the top is already stained, try a mild mold or mildew remover. This is most likely what you are seeing. Hopefully, you have not applied a fabric protectant and sealed the stains in.

I have a tan (light oak) cloth top on my Vette (2001) and a red cloth top on my NBC (2005). Cars are driven with the tops down more than up, but never left for extended periods with the tops down. I have no black marks on either top.

I'm going to go with RaggTopp for treatment.
What do you recommend to clean a tan top ?
RaggTopp Cleaner. By the book. Go here for a video on the proper cleaning and protectant application. Don't apply the protectant until you are convinced the top is as clean as you can get it. The protectant will seal any stains and dirt into the top.
www.autogeek.net

While I have read many things about the competitive 3M product (good and bad), and 3M does make good products, RaggTopp is the recommended product of the fabric manufacturer used by VW.

MORAV

1 - 8 of 8 Posts