NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Just picked up a new 2006 TDI bug. We loved our 2001 TDI bug a lot, but the wife wanted yellow. Boy, the new 2006 TDI is QUIET !
Just found this forum, and was interested to find out what some posters mean by "venting the tank".
Many thanks!

2006 Yellow TDI

·
Super Moderator
8,914 Posts
This is definately a how-to we should document.

jpduece did mine recently.

You can either manually vent the tank by a lever that is in the neck of the fuel entry point (brainfart - can't think of a better term).

or

You can disable the mechanism by removing some parts/spring to allow it to always vent.

It's to allow more fuel into the tank...not sure what the other benifits are.

Cheat - help me out here - I'm sinking in Technical stuff....

·
Super Moderator
8,914 Posts
Here is a how-to for the ventectomy
http://pics2.tdiclub.com/gwillie/VW/ventectomy/index.htm

That's for A4's and I can't be sure, but it might work just fine for ours as well. The parts look similar.

You can always search TDICLUB.com as well - great resource for our engines.

·
Diesel Inside
359 Posts
Yeah, I haven't done an A5 yet...or seen pics...but I would imagine someone on the TDIclub has. I would guess it's the same thing.

For the A4:

1 - remove right tail light
2 - find backside of "vent" (white plastic thing) and depress the tab that is holding it in
3 - from the other side, push down spring loaded vent tube and then push "back" towards rear of vehicle while holding in the tab on the plastic white piece
4 - this should pop the vent mechanism out
5 - remove spring loaded vent tube from the white plastic piece and all other little pieces that might be in there
6 - replace vent stuff back in it's holder and replace tail light

Literally this should all take about 5 minutes. The hardest part is removing the tail light. Best way is to pry up at the seam on the trunk side and fold it out to the right.

Anyway...it's pretty easy and a must if you ask me so that you get the maximum capacity in the tank and you can fill to the same spot everytime for tracking mileage, etc...

·
Super Moderator
8,914 Posts
jpdeuce said:
The hardest part is removing the tail light. Best way is to pry up at the seam on the trunk side and fold it out to the right.
Check out the Technical How-To section - ther eis a how-to in there for taking the tail light out....I would even suggest trying the "plunger method" - don't laugh, it works.

·
overwhelmed/underpaid
3,319 Posts
I jsut push the lever down...haven't got around to venting the tank automatically yet. jpduece is the man here. I'm gonna have my car vented at the TDIClub gtg tomorrow if I go. :)

·
Super Moderator
8,914 Posts
The Cheat said:
I jsut push the lever down...haven't got around to venting the tank automatically yet. jpduece is the man here. I'm gonna have my car vented at the TDIClub gtg tomorrow if I go. :)
I was doing that until I met jpduece - I gave him my old gauge pod to play with and he did my ventalectomy within 5 min. in the parking lot!

·
CRAZ4VW
520 Posts
No need to take the tail light out, I did it no problem without removing it. Although I guess by removing the tail light you can perform the ventectomy without having to remove the inner guts of the filler flap, no?

·
overwhelmed/underpaid
3,319 Posts
Pelican18TQA4 said:
No need to take the tail light out, I did it no problem without removing it. Although I guess by removing the tail light you can perform the ventectomy without having to remove the inner guts of the filler flap, no?
Good...you can help me do mine at Bear Mtn then. :)

·
All-American
72 Posts
;) Seems like work that's not required. We've had our '99 NewBeetle TDI since March 99. When I fill it up, I fill it up to the top of the tank nozzle. I start by filling it up full speed until it shuts off. Then I use the hose nozzle to press open the tank vent (left side of filler nozzle). Then I reduce the flow of diesel fuel to ensure it's filled to the top. With a completely full tank and filler nozzle, I can drive a minimum of 675 miles between fill ups. Works for me.

·
overwhelmed/underpaid
3,319 Posts
#1, that's what I do. :)

I've gone 800 or so on a tank once or twice (record's 828...trying for 900), so the venting helps, and also ensures accurate MPG readings. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts