NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
" I need me one of them"
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been a LONG time since I have been on the board but, as always, I come here to search the board when I have 'issues'.

Since the whole timing belt and bent valves mess the bug has had cold start troubles as well as idling issues. When I am sitting at a light my boost WAS at -20 but the last fwe months it's been around -18 or so. Last night I decided to check the Throttle Body and I believe that this has been my problem.

The darn thing is about 18 degrees from perpendicular. I can see daylight. Tonight is a cleaning and TB reset with the good old VAG-COM. Hope it does it.
(picture is hard to see but that silver ring in the middle is where the butterfly valve should be at)

Attachments

·
No NB Yellow Trifecta :(
5,639 Posts
When you resolved the bent valve mess did you clean out the intake manifold with manifold cleaner before you put it all back together? :confused:

·
" I need me one of them"
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did not do the valves and what not when the timing belt jumped. There was a local shop that did all of that. I cleaned the TB last night and recalibrated it an the cold start seems to be fine so far.

If it's not one thing it's another. My car is still stalling on me. It seems to only happen when I am at a stop and foot is on the clutch. I started the car this morning and let it idle for 20 minutes and it didn't stall. Got in to drive it and the first stop I came to it just cut out. No, misfires, just cut out. Grrrrrrrrrr.............

·
" I need me one of them"
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yup, it drives just fine when I am in a gear and moving but once in a while when I come to a stop or I depress the clutch to downshift the car just stalls out and I have to quickly turn off and restart. No codes are thrown as of yet.

I am searching the boards for others with this issue but not finding much.

Ideas as to where to look, test next?

·
No NB Yellow Trifecta :(
5,639 Posts
Here is the premise that I use if my NB has an issue but throws no codes; it must be something that no sensor can check, something mechanical perhaps or what ever is causing the problem the computer does not recognize it, nor considers it vital to its operation.

If it were me, I would get a compression check and perhaps a leak down test. If these tests pass, then the major mechanical engine components should be OK, next I would look into the vacuum hoses, if they check OK, I would then move on to consider an electrical problem.

Worst case scenario; bad computer.

·
" I need me one of them"
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ugg, I had the computer replaced when I had the valves, TB and engine wiring harness done last year. (so I am sitting on my old Computer as well). I'll have to hope for a code to be thrown in the near future...

Clogged Fuel Filter?

·
" I need me one of them"
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The shop had issues with some of the signals that the ECU was trying to relay to parts of the car. My harness was pretty fried around the enging by the coil packs. They would not warranty the work without doing the harness. ECU, don't recall... But I still have the old ECU and it is still flashed with the REVO program. :)

·
" I need me one of them"
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Startup is much better. I suggest TB cleaning to anyone that even suspects it's the issue. It's very easy to do but make sure you have Ross-T in your back pocket.

I still have a stall issue. Differnet thread.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts