VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2004 beetle that had the auto tiptronic transmission replaced prior to my purchase with a 2006 auto tiptronic. The check engine light is on and the seller said it had to due with the transmission change. It drives and shifts perfectly. It is showing a p 0841 code. The tiptronic magnets were missing, but they have been replaced and now the tiptronic works too. However, the engine light is still on. Should they have replaced the TCM to match the 2006 trans or could this be that maybe the fluid level is not correct? Maybe they didn't put in enough fluid or too much? Any help would be appreciated. I am not sure if you use a different year trans if you need to replace the tcm too.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
http://newbeetle.org/forums/transmission-talk/76753-04-1-8t-obd-code-p0841-dash-indicator.html

VWVortex.com - P0841 Transmission problem 04 Beetle

See page 8 of this link - http://vwts.ru/vw_doc2/trans/09g/atsg_09g_09m_eng.pdf

Pressure switch is mounted on/in the valve body. I recall is has a pin on the switch with a connector that does not always fit tight, I often pinch the connector closed slightly.

So either the pressure switch is bad, the connector is loose or fell off, the wiring is damaged either inside the transmission or outside transmission OR -

Also check the bottom of Page 18, see the statement "** Both pressure switches were eliminated in all 09G transaxles from June 2004 on."

Not sure what year your car is, but the model year build months are from Sept to Aug. So June 2004 would be the last 3 months of the build year.

The issue may be the TCM may need to be reflashed as I doubt there was a different TCM module later on. The problem with reflashing the current TCM is often the factory tools automatically read the VIN and therefor you would not be able easily reflash the TCM.

The other option is to try and "Spoof" the TCM by using a resistor to send some sort if signal or value to the TCM and make it "think" it is looking at a pressure switch. Not sure if the pressure switch is variable or an on/off switch.

Time to verify your cars build month and date. Then see if you could get a used TCM and make it work without programming. Often modules need to be VIN matched, not sure about VW, but you may need to verify this.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts