VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2002 TDI New Beetle, which I love. In addition, I also have a 2003 gasoline New Beetle, which is a convertible.

I know this is probably a dumb question, but how crazy is it to try to put the diesel motor and power train into the gas car's convertible body? :eek:

I have searched high and low for a TDI New Beetle convertible without success.

Thanks!

·
5/23/10 <3
11,412 Posts
Shouldn't be any different than swapping it from hardtop to hardtop.

You'll want to check with your local DMV though. I know here in NC, you can only swap in an engine from the same year car or newer, so we wouldn't be able to do that swap here.

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts
Can it be done, With enough time and money almost anything is possible.

But think about what it will take.
New computer and wiring harness( any harness which goes to the engine)
New fuel tank and lines, new battery, new transmission control module(most likely)as the shift points are different.
Fuel filter assembly

There my be changes needed in the power steering setup(lines, resivour etc.)too.

The Front struts may also be different due to the wait of the diesel.
If you do it please start a thread with pictures for us to follow.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would look at putting the cabin of the convertible onto the subframe of the tdi! The all you have to do is swap interior dash and and minor other things! Less work and a lot easier then doing it the other way!

55 Posts
My grandfather and father converted a rabbit TDI to a gas engine and that was said to be impossible back in the 80's when they did it... in this case I wouldn't try to make the conversion.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow, thanks!

Thanks to everyone for their excellent responses! I am going to look into this further. Thanks again!

Tom

·
Registered
712 Posts
I have a 2000 tdi and would LOVE a tdi convertible. Keep us posted to any info and any progression. If we get more people looking at this thread, it's possible that a pool of knowledge can help you, and thereby us, to make this happen.

·
Cheeeto's Daddy
1,158 Posts
Better wear a Tyvec suit over your clothes if you are going for any longer trips with the top down! There is a reason no one has ever seriously made convertible diesel until now. Diesel engines emit oily carbon soot in their exhaust. Run your finger over the back bumper or on the trailing edge of a rear fender to see what I mean.

The new diesel verts are much cleaner, but they still emit some soot.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
712 Posts
The lack of diesel convertibles in the US is about market share. The NB and Eos has always had a convertible option in Europe. Along with many others. There just isn't MANY diesels in the US. Therefore the market segment is small and not what the mfg want.
Currently there are 3 Audi's, 3 VW ,3 BMW, 2 Jeep, 3 Mercedes, 3 Mini, 3 Peugeot, 2 Renault, 1 Smart, 1 Vauxhall in diesel convertibles.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts