NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi well i got this tdi 2000 beetle but last night she stop running i pushed it to gas station and pryed the timing cover back and the belt is broke today i removed the cover and the belt was chewed up on inside towards the engine and broke in half there was oil leaked in timing belt compartment i cant be sure where this is coming from best guess is camshaft seal ??? are there any good instruction out there or advice pete.also got this car 2000 miles ago was told belt was replaced ?looked at belt looked good no oil then .

·
Probably MIA
2,800 Posts
Just goes to show you that when buying a used TDI you should never trust that the "timing belt was just done" or that it "looks good." Unless you KNOW it was DONE RIGHT, be on the safe side and have it done.

Sorry to hear of your troubles. The head will have to come off to be rebuilt or replaced. Piston protrusion should be measured to verify that the rods are straight. Throw it back together with new head gasket, head bolts and a complete timing belt kit and you will be back in business.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sources?

are there any good sorces or write up here on how to go about this im north of hou tx where to get this done not the dealer thanks.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I would go to tdiclub.com. They are the experts on TDI's

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
oil in timing cover ?

after close inspection found lots oil in timing cover leak from some where so i took it apart and removed the head looks like all but 2 lifters are beveled up a bit i think after looking the only way oil could get in there is seal or cam shaft or main seal ? pistons look to be perfect no in dication they impacted the valves.though they nust have i belive the oil caused this.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Look up Marvins Dad on the forum....He's in Dallas and I am sure he knows someone that can help you out.....Stay away from the Stealerships....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts