NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got off the phone with the dealership and he said they're having trouble getting the TDIs imported into the states. My car is now pushed back another week to the last week in October, so basically NOvember, as are 2 TDI Jettas they're expecting.

Besides this bad news he did mention that the car is wired for the new cleaner diesel, not sure how that is or if true or not.

TDI4ever

·
Super Moderator
14,766 Posts
Do you think they are simply "backordered"? That would seem plausible, given the fuel price crisis we are experiencing.

I am rooting for you. Hope you get your TDI soon! :)

·
overwhelmed/underpaid
3,319 Posts
TDI4ever said:
Just got off the phone with the dealership and he said they're having trouble getting the TDIs imported into the states. My car is now pushed back another week to the last week in October, so basically NOvember, as are 2 TDI Jettas they're expecting.

Besides this bad news he did mention that the car is wired for the new cleaner diesel, not sure how that is or if true or not.

TDI4ever
#1 is probably true. #2 is probably bunk. All cars can take the new cleaner diesel with no issues. The only issues I could see would be older diesels needing a sulfur additive for lubrication. Basically, run 8oz of PS gray or white and you'll be fine. ULSD has less lubrication than standard diesel (sulfur is a lube).

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My car was ordered 7/2 and I've been told for over a month it had left the factory, etc. I'm on my third salesman now, the other 2 left, so I have to think this is part of my problem. I chose this dealership because I love the service I get from their Ford shop. Wishing now I had ordered from where we got our Jetta, but they kept trying to change my mind into getting one of the '05 Jettas when I was there to buy a Beetle.

Justin I'll keep the lube in mind for our 01' Jetta when they do switch over to the new diesel.

TDI4ever

·
overwhelmed/underpaid
3,319 Posts
Actually, it's good to run it in your 06 as well. :) I run it in my 05 every tank, and it acts as a cetane booster as well. It's like $4 for a bottle at Walmart and a bottle last 4 fillups.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
Well, this could be part of the problem. VW doesn't have a true ordering system as some manufacturers do. They basically use an allocation process.

They build the vehicles, allocate them throughout the country, and a dealership gets what it gets. There are quite a few options to get around this system. A dealer can do a trade with another dealer.

They can also make requests to the regional VW reps. They'll take those requests into consideration when it's time to allocate the vehicles. So if they know a Platinum Grey TDI (for instance) is wanted by this dealership, they'll probably allocate it there, knowing they have a definite sale.

Dealerships can also scan build logs. This is a lot of vehicles waiting to be built. If they find one that matches your specs, they can request to have that vehicle assigned to you. That's the closest they have to a true "order".

I can't tell you how many times people have said they "ordered" a car from a dealership, the dealer promises them 6-8 weeks to delivery, and people wait 6-8 months instead.

Good luck! I hope the car you are looking for shows up! I'm sure you'll get it eventually. Just keep on the dealership, and ask as many questions as you can. It wouldn't hurt to go and talk to another dealership too, just in case.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Acutally I did talk to the Jetta's dealership about 6 weeks ago, they showed 3 Shadow Blue TDIs in the works. One was a package 1 and available, one was marked as sold to another dealership(mine) and one that was on the production list.

I have no doubt my lack of a real salesman hasn't helped any.

TDI4ever

·
Registered
43 Posts
The previous message about the ordering process is not correct. I have ordered two new beetles in the last 15 months. Both were very unusual combinations. The most recent, in May, was a TDI in red with DSG, beige leatherette, bi-xenon lamps and cold weather package. I got it exactly as ordered-didn't have to take any features I didn't want. It arrived 6 weeks after placing the order. In June 04 I ordered a NBC turbo in aquarius blue with grey leather, auto, and bi-xenon. It came in 8 weeks.

It is possible to order, get exactly what you want and wait only a few weeks. The salesmen who say otherwise probably want to sell what is on the lot or what they can trade for locally.

·
Registered
15 Posts
bconway said:
It is possible to order, get exactly what you want and wait only a few weeks. The salesmen who say otherwise probably want to sell what is on the lot or what they can trade for locally.
You're right. You can order a car. The dealerships can pick cars from Port Stock or they can actually order one from the factory (and also cars are also just delievered to dealerships from port stock).

I ordered a car the first week of September (Beetle TDI Plat Gray, pkg 1) it's scheduled to come in the 2nd week of Nov.

Once the order is placed your name is on the car, including the reports printed off showing inventory. The fact that you don't have a salesperson, shouldn't effect the arrival of your car.

To me it appears that they never ordered your car. I can't think of any reason why it would have taken this long.

·
Beetle Cup racer
567 Posts
I have been to the plant in Puebla and I can assure you that VW makes Bugs 2 ways: a very few, that they know they are going to sel l anyway (e.g. Flint editions, special editions, high demand colors etc). no more than 10%.
The 90% are Bugs that are ALREADY SOLD (that doesnt mean that they have an owner, but that the dealers have asked for them so VW considers them sold.

When I was there the best they could do from the request to the actual first drive was 9 days, of course transportation and logistics are another matter.

Right now 8 mexican States are flooded because of "stan" hurricane so expect a delay for those on the east coast.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
I too got exactly what I wanted. Only took 3 weeks. However, it was not something the dealership placed an order for. They did a search, found one about to hit port that was allocated to a dealership in Florida. Managed to do a dealer trade before it ever hit port, and the shipping info was changed so the car was routed right up here.

So, there are times where you "place an order" and you get lucky and get what you want rather quickly. Unfortunately, for every person that works well for, there are two dozen people who wait 6 months to a year for a car they want, and they get excuse after excuse after excuse as to why it's late.

I'm not taking my information from just one salesperson. I've called several dealerships, spoken to some of the salespeople who have been on here as well as the Topica New Beetle list. I also have called VWOA twice. Each and every time, I've been given the same exact description of this allocation process.

If that is not the case, I'd love to know why some people get their VWs "special ordered" right away, and others have to wait 6 months to a year.

·
I bleed Burnt Orange!
687 Posts
This has been an on again off again discussion for the past 2 years that I have been reading here.

The consensus is that VW does not do special orders. You place an order and get a car that was already being built with the option package you asked for, or like Pete said, vehicle was redirected to your dealership.

Honestly, there aren't too many changes you can make to an NB.

There are only two stereo options (if that any more). You can add a CD changer or Phat Box, which is installed by the dealer.

Xenon lights weren't available until 2005 I believe, and probably regular halogens won't be available for much longer.

Only a couple of color combos for interiors.

Sunroof, no sunroof, convertible
2.0l, 1.8t, TDI. Now even fewer engine choices.

If there is a particular combo that is really unusual, then it would probably take some time for that particular car to come off of the assembly line, and if it is not a combo that VW would do in the course of the process, then they make a special consideration change, but I suspect that it wouldn't happen.

·
Registered
24 Posts
TDI4ever said:

TDI4ever
True ...Euro-3 and Euro-4. Currently distributed in Europe with engine capacity varying from 1.6 to 2.0 liters, and 100, 140, and 170 HP. Would love to see a Beetle TDI 140HP (it's about time.)

Ecko & BuBeetle

·
Premium Member
756 Posts
The Cheat said:
#1 is probably true. #2 is probably bunk. All cars can take the new cleaner diesel with no issues.
Really? I had thought that we'd see a brief pause in TDI's destined for the states once the new CAFE standards went into affect (2007?) because the engine wasn't ready to run on the cleaner diesel. Or is that a newer even cleaner diesel coming with the new standards??

:confused:

·
overwhelmed/underpaid
3,319 Posts
Steinola said:
Really? I had thought that we'd see a brief pause in TDI's destined for the states once the new CAFE standards went into affect (2007?) because the engine wasn't ready to run on the cleaner diesel. Or is that a newer even cleaner diesel coming with the new standards??

:confused:
Oh, it'll RUN on it, but it might not pass 07 standards for EMISSIONS. :)

·
All-American
72 Posts
:stupid: OK you New Beetle brainiacs, how tough is it to get a New Beetle TDI from the dealers? I have a '99 TDI that I love. Started to get a new 2005 TDI in July 2004 and I could have had one (dealer trade) in three days. Went with a Mazda6 which I also love. Kept the Bug. Obviously with fuel prices, I'm sure things are tougher. One note, diesel is selling for about 20-25 cents higher than regular gas. One of the dealers in Richmond, VA only had two New Beetles on their lot this past weekend. Tons of Jettas (no TDIs). Does anyone have a recent experience with dealers and the availability of New Beetle TDIs?

·
Registered
867 Posts
My dealer has one 06 Jetta TDI and they have a couple of TDI bugs coming in at the end of November. They told me if I want one, just pick one from their alocation list and put a deposit on it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I've been waiting since July 2, others have gotten theirs more quickly. I did do a search on autotrader.com last night and there are TDI Beetles out there, I'd say less then 20 though at least that came up on my search.

I might give VWoA a call tomorrow just to curiously ask about the availability of TDI Beetles. Just not willing to give up on getting a Shadow Blue with package 2 with a grey interior. At this point I'd willingly give up on the Sirius radio though if it meant getting the car sooner.

TDI4ever

·
Registered
15 Posts
TDI4ever said:
I've been waiting since July 2, others have gotten theirs more quickly. I did do a search on autotrader.com last night and there are TDI Beetles out there, I'd say less then 20 though at least that came up on my search.

I might give VWoA a call tomorrow just to curiously ask about the availability of TDI Beetles. Just not willing to give up on getting a Shadow Blue with package 2 with a grey interior. At this point I'd willingly give up on the Sirius radio though if it meant getting the car sooner.

TDI4ever

TDI4ever, did you call VWOA? Has your dealership said anything about your TDI?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts