NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The subject title sounds ridiculous but that is the only way I can discribe the sound that I hear from the cabin. It is not always there and seems to disappear when in drive. Only time it is there is when the car (manual) is in neutral. I do not believe it may be the belts or some tensioner perhaps?

The car has 97k miles and has yet to get a new timing belt.

The sound is like techno music, kind of like the digital sounds that happens when dial up is connecting. Not the static sounds but digital beeping sounds, but in a chattering kind of way... :p

·
5/23/10 <3
11,171 Posts
Regardless of if the sound is coming from the timing belt system or not, get that changed out ASAP! You are long overdue. And its not pretty on a TDI when a belt gives out.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Yah, at 97K miles and the age of the vehicle your timing belt should have flashing red lights around it and a countdown clock with a calm female voice counting down the seconds until the self-destruct sequence completes.

30 seconds until self-destruct.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Timing belt mfg's say the belts should be changed if six years old, regardless of the mileage.....Mine was changed at 80k. Even though the belt looked OK in place, but after it was removed and examined, it had small hair line cracks between the lugs. I might also mention, rollers, and tensioners can lock up and shred belts.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts