VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im sure this has been brought up before, but my buddies 2000 beetle 2.0 has had the temp light flashing red since he floored it when he got mad at a slow driver....we replaced the res bottle and the temp sensor....still flashes...code says temp sensor positve to ground on parts store scan tool....car is not overheating and seems to be circulating coolant fine. anyone ever have the same problem?

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts
Are you sure the car is not getting hot? Do you have a temp gauge installed.

How old is the water pump, it's possibly loosened the plastic impeller from the shaft.

Quick check is to remove the thermostat and reach in the hole with your finger. you should be able to feel the impeller. It should not rotate on the shaft. They also begin to loose chunks out of them before the come totally apart.

·
Registered
15,842 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
had cyl misfire on 1 AND 4 .....and the temp sensor positve short to ground....saw it on the scan tool myself.....verified not getting hot.....after 20 min running temp with my infrared gun was 201 degrees F ......just so ya know i have owned a small engine shop for 30 years and also work on cars on the side when things are slow, so im not a newb at repairing things..im kinda leaning toward wiring at this point, but figured there may be something im missing....waterpump condition is unknown, and I am aware that they should be chaged out with the timing belt...the car has 160k miles on it....BTW the misfire codes were cleared and the check engine light has not come back on.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,417 Posts
Flashing light is for low coolant. Make sure the level is good. If its near the min line (even if its a bit above it) it could be enough to trigger the light.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Im sure this has been brought up before, but my buddies 2000 beetle 2.0 has had the temp light flashing red since he floored it when he got mad at a slow driver....we replaced the res bottle and the temp sensor....still flashes...code says temp sensor positve to ground on parts store scan tool....car is not overheating and seems to be circulating coolant fine. anyone ever have the same problem?
Had something similar happen to me. I hammered down on my car one night then it started to run hot. Turns out that the plastic impeller came all to pieces when I stabbed the throttle. My car is a 2004 and had 87,000 miles on it when it happened.

·
Registered
15,842 Posts
We are all here to help you; please post any and all trouble codes (descriptions alone; do not help us to point you to more info that can describe the issues/possible solutions to the problem). You can look up trouble codes; at the ross tech wiki: Ross-Tech Wiki, which is Volkswagen specific information and can really help, as opposed to generic OBD II definitions and possible solutions for many cars.

Did you try the factory service manual wiring testing procedures?

Here is the factory vw service manual pages for the CTS: advance to the other pages, with testing, wiring diagrams and troubleshooting info:

http://workshop-manuals.com/volkswa...or_computer)/component_information/locations/

temp warning light

http://workshop-manuals.com/volkswa...iagrams/diagram_information_and_instructions/

Pulling the thermostat and checking the plastic impeller; would be a great way to eliminate the possibility of the water pump being bad. Another quick way to see how the waterpump is doing; is to check the stream of coolant, going from the return line that goes back into the coolant bottle.

check out these videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thcwatH_BpI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nlc23TXZfjg

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update on this.....new timing belt and fuel pump ordered......new pump will have a steel impeller...I guess it started leaking coolant, but he did not specify where.I myself have not had the time to look at it, as I have been busy fixing mowers and atv's at my shop.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts