NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Member For Life
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got an issue with the Temp idiot light. About two months ago I started noticing that the Blue indicator for the Water temp seemed to be staying on longer than normal. At least it seemed that way. Now, when I first crank the car up, I get the Red blinking warning. There's no way it's overheating at this point and I've checked the coolant level. All seems O.K. under the hood. After a few minutes, the red indicator goes away and the blue one returns. I suspect that the temperature sensor is going bad. Where is this thing, and can I replace it myself?

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
I know where the greentop sensor is, I don't know if it could be that one or the one in your coolant resevoir. You openned the resevoir and checked the fluid that way?

It sounds similar to what I had going on. The fluid was above the minimum line by a fair bit, but appearently there wasn't really enough to reach the sensor, so I topped it off to cover the wires in the overflow bottle; that fixed it.

There's 1 sensor (green top) on the drivers side, somewhat near the 2ndary air pump. It's held in by a slidey clip (like the FPR). [yes, I'm fairly certain 'slidey clip' is the technical term. ;)]

noR

·
Member For Life
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I'll have to try that. So yours was beeping at you and blinking red on start-up? What is the reccomended collant? I keep hearing about some special product. I just had it replaced when the timing belt was changed so I'm not sure what they put in there. I know, I should be more concerned with those kind of things.....

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
G12 coolant from the dealership & distilled water from the grocery store is all I'll use man.

I *think* people have been saying there's a prestone version out there that's compatible.

But there's alot of chemical metalurgical voodoo w/metals electrolytes and such. I'm still working on learning the OTHER voodoo practices, so I haven't dived in on the chemistry side. I just stick to oem.

a 3L bottle was $11-$13; 1 bottle fills the system completely when mixed 50/50

·
Save a horse, ride a....
222 Posts
The temp sender on the coolant flange is way cheap, and replacing it is a tool free process. If you do it when the engine is stone cold (like after sitting overnight) you won't even lose any coolant. Mine cost $8 CDN including the o-ring. Just pull off the electrical connector, remove the 'slidey clip', pull out the sensor, pop in the new, replace 'slidey clip' and reattach electrical connector. Bob's your uncle.

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
Nah the slidey clip's a piece of cake. Use one of those pry bar's shaped like a screwdriver if you have trouble getting a hold of it.

Might I suggest tying a thread to it in case you're prone to losing parts in the engine bay. Mine went zoomin', but I found it pretty easy. Lucky prolly.

·
Save a horse, ride a....
222 Posts
noR said:
Nah the slidey clip's a piece of cake. Use one of those pry bar's shaped like a screwdriver if you have trouble getting a hold of it.

Might I suggest tying a thread to it in case you're prone to losing parts in the engine bay. Mine went zoomin', but I found it pretty easy. Lucky prolly.

Or you could use a screwdriver as a prybar.....:p

·
Member For Life
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Otay....... I'm embarrassed, but the coolant wasn't over the sensor in the overflow tank.:stupid: All that was required was to top it off...... No more worries......... :cool:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts