NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am a new member to this forum. I just bought my first NB a month ago and I can't believe how much I love it. Its a '00 with a gas 2L. Yesterday morning I had only driven maybe 100m and the temp light came on (blinking red) and since it comes on for 10-60 seconds then shuts off on its own. Could this be a sensor issue or am I looking at a different problem? :confused:

If there is a thread on this subject feel free to point me towards it.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Warning light is for low coolant level. Do you know how to do an "Advanced Thread Search"? Enter the word coolant in the time frame of the last two weeks. A couple threads. Don't just fill with anti-freeze. NBs require a special coolant, G-12 or G-13 and it CAN NOT be mixed.

Here to help if you need.

MORAV

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
At the end of these instructions are where the level should be in the specific coolant reservoir that is in you NB. The markings vary by year.

Bentley Drain and Fill Procedure
http://newbeetle.org/forums/questions-issues-concerns-problems-new-beetle/52130-beetle-overheating.html#post753690

Here are the complete Bentley Cooling System diagnostics
The Bentley is the NB owner's bible for repair work.

Bentley Cooling System Diagnostics
http://newbeetle.org/forums/2-0-liter-gas/52013-overheating-problem.html#post753256

M.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

I'm still kind of a nubie when it comes to forums. I checked my reservoir and it was between the max/min lines, I gave the upper hose a few squeezes and the level dropped. So I poured in some distilled water and squeezed the hose some more. Is driving the best way to bleed the air out? And just for my own curiosity where is the sensor for the coolant level?

Thanks again!!
M

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
The end of the drain and fill procedure explains the method to purge the system of air, you have to follow it to the "t", but unless you have drained the system this should not be an issue. Was it at the right level for being "hot" or "cold"? They are different.

If the system is not low, then there is the possibility it is a level sensor gone bad. This may be a sensor that can be checked with the VAG-COM.

The Engine Coolant Level Sensor is a component of the engine coolant reservoir (expansion tank) and is in the engine compartment on the right side. The Engine Coolant Temperature Gauge Sensor and the Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor are integral with each other and are located in the coolant flange on the cylinder head, left side.

M.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts