NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
our freinds bug has a problem with the temp warning light. It does not come on when the ignition is first turned on but comes on after the engine has been running for a few minutes, then it flashes intermittently and goes on and off as you drive.
Would this temperature problem affect the fuel efficiency of the car? I am thinking that the fuel management system would get the engine temp reading to enable alterations in the fuel mixture. Is this correct?
Thanks.

·
Registered
4,397 Posts
If the light is red or flashing, then something's wrong. I wouldn't drive it much until it gets fixed.

And yes, I do believe it can affect your gas mileage. I had a temp sensor go. It ran just fine, but my mileage did take a big hit until I replaced the temp sensor.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i think it is flashing blue. she drove about 120km on half a tank yet we get around 300km on half a tank.

·
" I need me one of them"
536 Posts
Ummm......this could be YOU<maybe...lol>

This could just be a low coolant level ordepending on the year and miles of the car it COULD BE something different. My car is an 01 with 70K on it and I had this happen
http://forums.newbeetle.org/attachment.php?postid=481080
This is what I was pretty much shown last night after getting my water pump, timing belt and thermostat changed out. <this is not my pic but you get the idea> Mine was in pieces and although I drove it for a few days, only 8 miles a day. I was knockin on VW heaven's door. Not trying to scare you but better safe than sorry.....

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i checked the coolant level for her when she first noticed the light coming on when driving - i thought it might be low too.. but radiator full and overflow bottle was within the lines so assumed all was well and possible faulty sensor.
Got a call from her last night and said she finally took it to mechanic, says they tuned it then tested the engine temp.. was not up to operating temperature after a few minutes of running. so it sounds like she has an engine cooling problem where it wont let the engine heat up. This would explain the fuel consumption too.

·
2008 "Fowvay" yellow NB
574 Posts
Wow that's very interesting. I'm amazed that the cooling system can prevent the engine from getting warmed up. That's some efficiency! I wonder if it's a thermostat problem then. I guess I'd still be skeptical that it's a faulty temp sensor. (Just says it isn't warmed up) What kind of shop did she take it to?

I'd be spending $6 and changing out that temp sensor. The OEM stock black ones are notoriously poor.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
not sure who she took it to.. and only going on what she said they told her about it not heating up (i was skeptical too). but i agree with the thermostat being a potential problem.. it may be stuck open fully and allowing full water flow at all times. would take a while to warm the engine like that.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Most important that we know if it was a flashing blue or flashing red light. A flashing blue light indicates an electrical malfunction in the cooling circuit such as a bad coolant temp sensor, wiring problem to the sensor, or the temp gauge. A flashing blue light is not an indication of a low coolant temp condition. This should cause a trouble code to be set in the ECU.

A solid blue indicator (after the engine should have warmed up) could be caused by a thermostat that is stuck open or possibly cooling fans that don't shut off. Either would likely be a problem only if the weather is below 10°C.

A flashing red indicator would indicate the overheating problems associated with non-operating coolant fans, low coolant, bad water pump, clogged radiator, etc.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well all is now well... freind has had the car fixed. dealership said it was something to do with the engine management puter... they changed something and it fixed the prob (not sure exactly what they changed as she couldn't remember what they called it) but relatively cheap so she is happy and loves the way the car performs now.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts