VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just dropping in a few pictures of my 1999 New Beetle GLS before I begin Phase Two of her overhaul.

I got her about a month ago, and so far it's been an up hill battle in taming here. At least one of her formers got heavily into modifying her. They pained the rear bottom panel near the trunk, embedded a Volkswagen typeface logo on here rear and added a new paint job. They also reupholstered the door arm rests.

Unfortunately, it looks like they got really bored and decided to stop fixing anything on her. When I originally got her the rear middle break light was broken and leaking water into the trunk. I fixed this only to realize that they'd broken it by hitting the trunk with something. As such, the new light wouldn't fit perfectly so I put some silicone caulk around it. I've also given her a very much needing scrubbing to get rid of the mildew smell bit it still lingers a bit. Phase one fixes also included a new key and key fob since the original fob was missing, a new window switch new dash blank panels, and a new window regulator.

I named her Terra after the troubled member of the Teen Titans who couldn't get her act together.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
14,834 Posts
That poor, neglected Bug! :(

Thanks for adopting her. I hope you can restore her to a beautiful New Beetle. (I think she's a her, sorry if she's not..... :wink2: )

·
Registered
15,841 Posts
For repairing your door panel pulls; check out dieselgeeks "beetle brace":

Beetlebrace

Any upholstery shop; should be able to repair your seat, easily! :)

Check the classified for the wheel covers you are missing!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good Tips

Good tips guys. I found the caps on Ebay for about $60 which was pretty awesome. I also went ahead and called a local upholstery shop Gonna drop it off there for an estimate.

I also changed the rear bottom color to gray.

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Interior Upgrades

Spent most of the weekend doing some the upgrades I'd talked about in my first post.

The first was the stereo and the stereo area. Originally, the entire surface was intact but there were to small covers missing from the button area. I added those back and spent most of the day breaking down the dash for paint. I painted most of it gray using Plasti Dip. Picture updates tomorrow.

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Me too.

I just recently went through that process with the center dash. Fun isn't it?! I'm actually going to do it again because I want to remove the plasti-dip from my glove box and driver's side knee panel and that has to come off before those panels can. Yay! I'm glad you rescued that beetle. Looks like she went to a good home. Looking great!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thanks for the kind words Brandi. The dash actually was a lot easier than what I'd experienced with my old Ford Focus. Only hiccup I really ran into was in trying to use the old stereo I'd have from my old car. I have to say, buying it wasn't the smartest investment but I'm have a lot of fun putting my own stamp on it and making it my own.

Speaking of fun and making it my own.

This weekend I decided to move the party back outside after painting the loops on my seats that allow them to fold up.

First up, I used plasti-dip to resurface the front-facing grille in the same gray that I added to the rear. This went awfully quick and now looks much better. I also plastic-dipped the windshield wiper arms since they'd started to peel a bit and had rust in a few areas.

I also dived in and started fixing the awful sound system. I dropped in a pair of Kenwood speakers in the two front doors. They would great with the new sound system. I've just got to hit the rear speakers next week. I could really kick the VW engineer who decided to bolt the original speakers in place.

Finally I added a new accent pinstripe to the sides after removing the bulging one that was on the car when I got it. That original was about as crooked as I've ever seen. Also, new interior door handles on both sides.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
Cup- 2k New Beetle GLS/ 'Chino- 13 Beetle 2.5
20,869 Posts
Welcome to the org party"

Love your beetle's name & the history behind the name....very cool. I think there's a little Terra in all of our beetles :D

Also, props to you for your photo journal here. Some post a thread for every new mod & improvement in a new thread; and the chronicles of their work get lost in the cyber shuffle...it's a lost art. Thanks for keeping it tight.

So did you Dip your center dash also? It looks great! I've been thinking about dipping my center dash too; black, followed with the Plasti-Dip glossifer as a top coat.

Enjoying the chronicles of Terra. Can't wait to see what you're gonna cook up next.
Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the kind words! I used to run a forum -- about Harry Potter, yep -- so I try to mind my forum etiquette.

Thanks for noticing. I did use Plastidip on the center console, mostly because I wanted to hit some very ugly scratches from the last owner. It came out great but now i'm kind of wondering what it would have looked like with some gloss.

·
Super Moderator
Cup- 2k New Beetle GLS/ 'Chino- 13 Beetle 2.5
20,869 Posts
Thanks for the kind words! I used to run a forum -- about Harry Potter, yep -- so I try to mind my forum etiquette.

Thanks for noticing. I did use Plastidip on the center console, mostly because I wanted to hit some very ugly scratches from the last owner. It came out great but now i'm kind of wondering what it would have looked like with some gloss.
You can add gloss to Plasti-Dip. You have to use the Plasti-Dip "Glossifier". The Glossifier adds shine to the matte Plasti-Dip as well as keeping the peeling properties intact. Using regular gloss makes the Dip very hard to peel and remove. Again, use Plasti-Dip "Glossifier". I know Pep Boys sells it for sure.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts