NewBeetle.org Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone up to gettin' this kickin' again? Let's hear from y'all!

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
bump!

·
New New Beetle Owner
179 Posts
I live in Belton Tx, 30 Mins north of Austin and 30 South of Waco.....

I am all for a Texas NB Round up......

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Gonna take some work and some interest from others. Do you belong to the Club in Austin?

I'm in Houston, abt 210 miles east of San Antonio, 140 miles southeast of Austin, 260 miles south of Dallas, and 45 miles north of Galveston. (lol). Sad, we used to measure those distances in beers, not miles.

·
New New Beetle Owner
179 Posts
Not a member of any club, I have asked about clubs here in Texas, Was blown off by People from the Killeen Air Coolers Club and the Austin Air Cooler VW Gang at the VW Harvest in Leander. I asked when the Austin Dub club meets here on this forum and no one answered.

So I just figured I would take the bull by the horn and show up to meets I see advertised here. If I can I will even help others plan a meet.

I would love to meet with other like minded people in the Central Texas area, if there are any out there yell...

·
Super Moderator
Cup- 2k New Beetle GLS/ 'Chino- 13 Beetle 2.5
20,846 Posts
Not a member of any club, I have asked about clubs here in Texas, Was blown off by People from the Killeen Air Coolers Club and the Austin Air Cooler VW Gang at the VW Harvest in Leander. I asked when the Austin Dub club meets here on this forum and no one answered.

So I just figured I would take the bull by the horn and show up to meets I see advertised here. If I can I will even help others plan a meet.

I would love to meet with other like minded people in the Central Texas area, if there are any out there yell...
I like the attitude you and the others here have. Just keep plugging away, showing up at VW meets... even air-cooled ones, and make your presence known.

Some of the biggest plugging will be here of course. Send as many PM's as you can to the Texas orgers, inviting them to become a part of what you all are doing. I'd even make some tags for some new beetles in your area if i were you all.

It's obvious that some of the air-cooled folk treat us like Rodney Dangerfield, so we've got to form our own collective, make it thrive and even show up at the air-cooled events.

Sorry air-cooled folk, our beetles are VW and we're not going anywhere.

·
New New Beetle Owner
179 Posts
It's obvious that some of the air-cooled folk treat us like Rodney Dangerfield, so we've got to form our own collective, make it thrive and even show up at the air-cooled events.

Sorry air-cooled folk, our beetles are VW and we're not going anywhere.
Well I think it is funny that most of the Air Heads around here have NBs in their stables, but will not give us the time of day.

·
Super Moderator
8,909 Posts
Yeah, the TNBRU is no more.:(

It takes a good half dozen to dozen folks to put on a show...plus sponsors. Unfortunately, we are down to a few regular posters (on our forums) and the desire to get together for meetings has dwindled to almost nill.
We used to have about 20-25 beetles show up at our monthly meetings, so it is quite a disappointment that neither the club nor the show is what it was in the past. Most folks grew out of their beetles and on to Scions, Minis or just decided they had different focuses in their lives (like having kids or retiring...)

I think in part the Show would damage the Club each year for whatever reasons that happened. You really need to have a group of people that really want the show to happen and some that will support the show and most importantly, People to attend the show.

Our philosophy was to make the people that attend the show #1, they are the people that make the show what it will be...without people coming out and showing their cars...there would be no show.
At least I can help out with that philosophy while helping out with the Roswell show.

If, in the future, the New Beetle scene gets reinvegurated with the 2012 model to the point where we had a club that was interested...we might do it again, but until then I look to other shows to help keep the New Beetle Spirit alive! The Roswell National Convention Show every other year and the Tail of the Dragon get together are two great examples. But in Texas the only options we have are the all VW shows, some Water Cooled (mostly performance oriented) shows like Hot Water VW in Houston, Texas Classic, Houston VW Night Show...

·
Premium Member
2,161 Posts
We have very similar issues up here in Wisconsin. My local VW club, which lets ALL VWs in, has consistently had around 40-45 members since I joined in 2002, but OF those 40-some people, there are maybe 5 or 6 of us that do all the work and keep things going. We only see the other 38 people once a year, at our show in June. In the meantime our President, VP, their spouses, myself, and a couple of others attend as many VW shows as we can to support other clubs, organize cruises, and other gtgs. Whenever a meeting or outing takes place, it's always just the same 5-7 of us. We have actually discussed the idea of breaking up the "club" and just going with our small but dedicated group. We may be able to retain a few of our sponsors and fund the rest of our show costs out-of pocket.

Hopefully, the next Beetle will draw fresh, enthusiastic people to the whole VW scene so we don't have to resort to such drastic measures.

·
Registered
183 Posts
That is how it usually goes.Everybody is all for a show until you mention the work involved then they disappear,only to reappear on show day.It would be a lot easier to just have a GTG and maybe casual cruise.Would like to put faces with some of the names.

·
New New Beetle Owner
179 Posts
I am all for a GTG, or meet and greet. Let me throw this Idea out at ya, We can meet here in Belton around Noon one day, Grab a bit to eat at a local restaurant, then jump in our beetles and head north on 314 towards Dallas. It will take us about 2-3 hours to get up 314, where it empties back onto I35. Then we stop someplace there and sit and eat, talk about the drive, then we all head our own way.

That way people can just come to the lunch and meet, others can do the Cruse, and others just meet at the ending restaurant.

We can even look at doing one from Belton west on 190.

How does this sound????

·
Super Moderator
Cup- 2k New Beetle GLS/ 'Chino- 13 Beetle 2.5
20,846 Posts
I know i'm an outsider (Floridian) here, but if I may encourage you all to follow at least with the GtG ideas you all are cooking up. Here in Jacksonville, we've developed a decent neucleus of nB owners/orgers, who meet up once a month. We're throwing ideas around for some shows here in Jax, and hopefully it will grow.

I hope you guys can build something new- maybe not the TNBRU, but something entirely different with a whole new personality of its own, and who knows- you might have a good collective even before the 2012-ers join the fold:D

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I am all for a GTG, or meet and greet. Let me throw this Idea out at ya, We can meet here in Belton around Noon one day, Grab a bit to eat at a local restaurant, then jump in our beetles and head north on 314 towards Dallas. It will take us about 2-3 hours to get up 314, where it empties back onto I35. Then we stop someplace there and sit and eat, talk about the drive, then we all head our own way.

That way people can just come to the lunch and meet, others can do the Cruse, and others just meet at the ending restaurant.

We can even look at doing one from Belton west on 190.

How does this sound????
Not having any knowledge of the old TNBRU, this is more what I had in mind when I opened up the thread. However, a monthly thing would be more of a "club" type thing, with more of a localized following. I think maybe a semi-annual or annual Cruise & GtG would be more likely to gain a larger following. Maybe multiple cruises coming from different major metropolises and meeting at one central point for an "all-together" short cruise and then an afternoon GtG, maybe at one of the State Parks or Rec Areas. Or maybe an overnighter at a cabin or camp area. Couple nice spots at Lake Travis. More of a "road trip" Cruise and GtG.

Bluebonnet season would be an ideal time, both scenic and perfect weather for us NBCers. This might be more do-able as we could call on the clubs in Houston, DFW, Austin (Oh yeh, Austin's kinda iffy), San Antonio, etc and cruise in from these cities. I've done this with my Corvette and there is something really impressive about a convoy of a hundred or more cars goin' down the highway.

And, OMG, FreqWiz, that WOULD be nice, FOR YOU, for all of us to meet at your place! A little "all about me" goin' on here? Of course if your buyin' the beer and puttin' out the spread...

What's Belton's pop now, about 103?, I don't even remember the streets being paved the last time I was thru there! And "a local restaurant"? Do y'all even have a Dairy Queen yet? LMFAO! God, I'm on a roll tonight!

Let's keep kickin' it around with everyone. Maybe hit up everyone registered on the Forum in Texas with a P/M or better an email. Maybe a flyer to the local clubs. Just to see what real interest there is. But hell, I'm up for it, even if it turns out to be a party of just a few.

·
New New Beetle Owner
179 Posts
What's Belton's pop now, about 103?, I don't even remember the streets being paved the last time I was thru there! And "a local restaurant"? Do y'all even have a Dairy Queen yet? LMFAO! God, I'm on a roll tonight!
OMG I am Laughing......My wife is upset because we do not have a Dairy Queen. Belton has a Lake up here without the Austin Traffic, in fact the VW Transporters at the Point have their camp out there in Oct, been an annual deal for several years now.

I am just throwing stuff out, I love your Idea, would love to just have a GTG and Cruise....As for the beer, I only do that if I am sitting at home, or someone else is driving....and I want to drive the cruise

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Kidding aside, let's keep this going. Keep it bumped to the dailys, and see what reaction we get. I might post something on the Houston or Bay Area Club site and see if there is any interest from those who are not here. Actually I think there is a guy on here who is real involved with one of those two clubs. I'll do a little research. Lets put some more thought into this, kick around some ideas, listen to the responses, and do something! I'll p/m you with my email.

·
New New Beetle Owner
179 Posts
Well I am trying to think of a location in the middle, I am thinking Collage Station, anyone here from CS?

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
bump!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.