NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
33 ⅓
Joined
·
15,621 Posts
Ah, THAI YUMMY!



Let's see. You want one that is store bought, or home made? (Bangkok Express makes one killer homemade one, I know that...)

THAI PEANUT SAUCE


* 1/2 cup peanut oil
* 1/2 cup raw peanuts
* 2 fresh Thai or serrano chiles
* 1 slice fresh ginger, 1/2 inch thick
* 4 garlic cloves
* 1/3 cup unsweetened coconut milk (canned or fresh)
* 2 teaspoons dark soy sauce
* 4 teapsoons fish sauce
* 1 teaspoon sugar
* 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
* Pinch of salt (add to taste, as fish sauce can be very salty)
* 1/2 cup finely minced cilantro leaves and stems

Heat the peanut oil to nearly smoking in a saucepan. Turn off the heat and add the peanuts. The peanuts should cook to a golden brown in 3-5 minutes. If you burn them, throw them out and start all over again or your sauce will be bitter. You may have to turn on the heat again, but stir the peanuts if you do.

Using a slotted spoon, transfer the peanuts to the container of a food processor or blender, along with 1 tablespoon of the peanut oil (reserve the rest) and blend them to a rough paste. Add the chiles, ginger, garlic and continue to blend. Add the remaining ingredients except the cilantro, and blend until smooth. If it is too thick, add more oil. Stir in cilantro, and serve as a dipping sauce with satay or anything else, or thin with oil and serve as a salad dressing.
 

·
Just because!
Joined
·
3,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
[OffTopic] Ya know TJ, everytime I see YUMMY or Good Thing™, or even SONY®, I think of you because of the DIN. ;) [/OffTopic]




So theoretically I can not use the fish sauce and substitute it for salt? I am none too fond of fish, so I would like to forgo using the fish sauce if I can. :cool:


Thanks Jazzcat! I appreciate your approval! :D
 

·
<-----No More Beetle :(
Joined
·
18,312 Posts
jdesigns said:
[OffTopic] Ya know TJ, everytime I see YUMMY or Good Thing™, or even SONY®, I think of you because of the DIN. ;) [/OffTopic]




So theoretically I can not use the fish sauce and substitute it for salt? I am none too fond of fish, so I would like to forgo using the fish sauce if I can. :cool:


Thanks Jazzcat! I appreciate your approval! :D
Try a thin soy sauce to substitute for the fish sauce. Tastes just as good! :goodjob:
For example
Healthy Boy thin soy sauce is a good brand. Or you can just use Kikkoman's light soy sauce. Any recipe i have seen for thai peanut sauce has recommended using a thin soy sauce as a vegetarian sub for the fish sauce. :goodjob:
 

·
Write it like it's hot!
Joined
·
2,556 Posts
FineExampl said:
HALF CUP of cilantro??!! BLECH!! That'll taste like soap! :hurl:

Cilantro is one of my favs---but if it tastes like soap tp you that would be yucky.

Anyone know a good sub in place of the peanuts and peanut oil----The Hubster is allergic.
 

·
<-----No More Beetle :(
Joined
·
18,312 Posts
This recipe only requires one teaspoon of fish sauce...
4 ounces of roasted (unsalted) peanuts
3-4 cloves garlic, chopped
1 ounce chopped onion
1-2 tablespoon red or massaman curry paste
1 teaspoon fish sauce
8 tablespoons coconut milk
4-6 teaspoons lime juice (to taste).
2-3 teaspoons palm sugar.

First grind or crush the peanuts to a fairly fine powder. Then combine them with the remaining ingredients (except the lime juice), to form a smooth sauce. If the sauce is too thick, you can thin it with a little chicken stock. Now add the lime juice, tasting as you progress to check the balance of flavors is correct.

Note use red curry paste with beef or pork satay, massaman (as above) with chicken. If you are doing shrimp satay then use half the quantity of massaman paste
 

·
<-----No More Beetle :(
Joined
·
18,312 Posts
angelworks said:
Cilantro is one of my favs---but if it tastes like soap tp you that would be yucky.

Anyone know a good sub in place of the peanuts and peanut oil----The Hubster is allergic.
Soy nut butter! Made from roasted soy beans, it is manufactured in a “peanut-free facility,” as the jar indicates. Because it resembles peanut butter in taste and texture, soy nut butter can be found in most grocery stores near the peanut butter.
You can feasibly substitue the peanut oil for another veggie oil. Maybe EVOO or just a light olive or corn oil with a tiny bit of artificial almond flavoring?
 

·
Poopship Destroyer
Joined
·
12,736 Posts
angelworks said:
Cilantro is one of my favs---but if it tastes like soap tp you that would be yucky.

Anyone know a good sub in place of the peanuts and peanut oil----The Hubster is allergic.
Dont get me wrong. I love cilantro, but it can be overdone tremendously. I only like a hint of cilantro. In fact, i still have some cilantro seeds i grew myself. Sometime i grind them up and use em in stuff. It's also called coriander in case anyone was wondering.
 

·
Write it like it's hot!
Joined
·
2,556 Posts
CyberGreenBaby said:
Soy nut butter! Made from roasted soy beans, it is manufactured in a “peanut-free facility,” as the jar indicates. Because it resembles peanut butter in taste and texture, soy nut butter can be found in most grocery stores near the peanut butter.
You can feasibly substitue the peanut oil for another veggie oil. Maybe EVOO or just a light olive or corn oil with a tiny bit of artificial almond flavoring?

I actually do buy the soy nut butter---have tried a bunch of diff nut butters and the soy nut comes very close to peanut butter.

Just TJ's recipe called for actual peanuts.

Thanks Amy.
 

·
<-----No More Beetle :(
Joined
·
18,312 Posts
Here's a recipe that you can use the soy nut butter with, Dawn! :goodjob:

1 tbsp. minced garlic
2 tbsp. minced cilantro
1 tbsp. ginger, minced
1 tbsp. mint, minced
1/4 c. peanut butter
2 tbsp. oriental fish sauce
2 tbsp. sugar
1 tbsp. red pepper flakes
1/4 c. olive oil
1/4 c. soy sauce
1-2 tbsp. honey
1 pt. cream

Combine all ingredients except honey and cream. Add honey and cream to taste to cut saltiness. Serve with shrimp or scallops sauteed with ginger, garlic, salt and pepper. Makes about 2 1/2 cups of sauce.
 

·
33 &#8531;
Joined
·
15,621 Posts
jdesigns said:
[OffTopic] Ya know TJ, everytime I see YUMMY or Good Thing™, or even SONY®, I think of you because of the DIN. ;) [/OffTopic]




So theoretically I can not use the fish sauce and substitute it for salt? I am none too fond of fish, so I would like to forgo using the fish sauce if I can. :cool:


:D
Yeah, you can. I never add salt, personally. There is too much salt in everything...did you know salt is in pepper?

RE: The DIN. Thanks! Spread the word! Get others hooked on a strange thing called the DIN! All the cool ORGERS read it!

(at least Justin and Rob read it...and they are cool! )

:D
 

·
<-----No More Beetle :(
Joined
·
18,312 Posts
PhoenixRising said:
Yeah, you can. I never add salt, personally. There is too much salt in everything...did you know salt is in pepper?

RE: The DIN. Thanks! Spread the word! Get others hooked on a strange thing called the DIN! All the cool ORGERS read it!

(at least Justin and Rob read it...and they are cool! )

:D
Whats the DIN? Other cool people wanna know!! :lol:
 

·
33 &#8531;
Joined
·
15,621 Posts
CyberGreenBaby said:
Whats the DIN? Other cool people wanna know!! :lol:
The Daily Irish News®.

It's a newsletter that I put out in the e-mail every day. Well, not on the weekends. And not when Hurricane Wilma comes and takes your electricity away.

But every day. And it goes out to about 120,000 people around the world, including Australia (where Andrew from the ORG reads it, to name one)...

I write in it, and so does Rob (GatorBeetle) and others from around the globe. There are cartoons, and weird news, and stuff in there. Lots of stuff.

All free, and no SPAM at all. I have been doing it for about 6 years. And frankly, to those who read it, they see another side to me...BWAHAHAHA!

So, if you want to be on the list, PM with a e-mail I can send it to, and there you go. You too can be one of the COOL ONES.
 

Attachments

·
<-----No More Beetle :(
Joined
·
18,312 Posts
Sweet! I'm a nice Irish Lass who wouldnt mind getting some good stuff in 'er email for a change!
:goodjob:
My email is my aim screenname (in my profile)..im at aol. :D
 

·
33 &#8531;
Joined
·
15,621 Posts
CyberGreenBaby said:
Sweet! I'm a nice Irish Lass who wouldnt mind getting some good stuff in 'er email for a change!
:goodjob:
My email is my aim screenname (in my profile)..im at aol. :D
I just sent a e-mail to you...see if you got it.

Tanks.


BOT: Justin, did you try the THAI sauce??? I was hoping you did!
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top