NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, again, the forum has come through for us. I own a 2004 CNB and the rear driver side window regulator "broke". After doing a search through the forum, copying links to posts and youtube videos, we decided to tackle it on our own, hoping it was only the $95 part and not the motor, etc.

My husband, luckily has taken engines apart and is an engineer, so we knew we could do it, it may take longer than normal. Son and husband took apart, and husband and I put back together. Maybe 10 hours total, but saved $380 in labor. We know what we are doing now, so it will be a short hall the "next time this happens".

We used the forum and links to off site videos to replace a passenger side front light bulb last year, not looking forward to the one behind the battery - we also replaced battery which wasn't too easy either. Rich has decided that whoever engineered the Beetle, just made it too hard! He'd rather work on my daughter's Saturn L200 with spacious engine cavity!

Again, thank you, thank you, all for your helping others on this forum. We just can't thank you enough. Happy Thanksgiving!

Sincerely,
Karen H.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Awesome. Your car looks a lot like my daughter's '05. My dad's '73 Beetle was the same color, so these light blue New Beetles bring back fond memories.

·
mike03 2.0 vert
100 Posts
rear window regulator and pics

Hi Snglbny:
I would like to add some coments and Pics of the same window regulator job.
The U tube videos are good and helpfull. There is a vw tool shown to tilt the window in final fit. It is a 4 mm screw driver inside of a 13mm super long socket. ($90) I purchased a set of metric allen drivers and a long 13 socket for this job. The adjustment as it turned out was not needed and neither was a special tool.
We did buy the regulator cable kit as you did and it was a handfull to install. Very tight, we finally had to unscrew the motor assembly and tilt it to get enough slack for the cable to mount the pulleys.
first pic............old wires from regulator. twisted bent and see the black covering out of position comparted to the new one.
Sec. pic tools purchased
last...new parts for $94 + tax.

Attachments

·
mike03 2.0 vert
100 Posts
rear windows

do you hear the motor regulator run? If so you need a kit.
Mine would run but not always in the intended position because the wire was winding wrong and binding.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I press the button for them to go up and they go down and only half way with a grinding noise too...its accidental tht I push the button sometimes and then I need someone to help me manually pull them bck up!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
mike03 2.0 vert
100 Posts
rear window

mferre107:
You have exactly the same symptoms as we had. I looked on line and did not find a kit other than buying from the dealer. When you are ready, PM me and I will talk you thru the extraction and wire replacement. Its doable with patience and a helper. :cool:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts