NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks for the add, admins. I am a brand new Beetle owner (first VW), who bought a '99 GLS in rough condition (body has some issues, but mechanically, it's sound). I have a lot of plans for her, so I'm happy to have this resource that I can use in my restoration journey.

She's not much to look at right now, but she's mine. Today my plan is to go through her and figure out what I need to fix / repair / restore. This will be my first real foray into automotive restoration, so I look forward to getting started. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
Remy - 2008 New Beetle 2.5S
25 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Edit: you might be able to restore the paint with a good polishing job. But it's hard to tell the extent of the damage.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Welcome! I've seen way worse. It does'nt look like the rockers are rusted which is a big plus. Hopefull you didn't get the fail-o-matic transmission but the 5 speed instead.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome! I've seen way worse. It does'nt look like the rockers are rusted which is a big plus. Hopefull you didn't get the fail-o-matic transmission but the 5 speed instead.
You bet! When I went on my Beetle hunt I wasn't interested in an automatic, so I got the manual I wanted. :)

I still need to look at the shift linkage bushing as I know this a failure point, but it seemed ok so far.

As for the rocker panels, the driver's side looks good (no rust) and the passenger side looks ok too, but upon closer inspection it was bonded at some point because there's a crack in it and I can see the Bondo underneath, so I'm guessing I will be addressing that as well.

·
Registered
702 Posts
dieselgeek.com has a bushing kit that really works well, and videos that show how to adjust the linkage.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
dieselgeek.com has a bushing kit that really works well, and videos that show how to adjust the linkage.
Thanks! That's exactly where I visited when I was looking to buy a Beetle. I Googled all of the things to check/fix when you own a Beetle and that was one of them.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Welcome to the forum!

Edit: you might be able to restore the paint with a good polishing job. But it's hard to tell the extent of the damage.
Sorry, I meant to respond. There's some signficant rust bubbling by the driver's side rear window and on the roof as well. I'll need to sand that all down, and my plan was to repaint the car anyhow, so it's all good.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts