VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
A simple question........I hope.
So, I bought my wife an auto Beetle (2006) for Christmas. I knew it had a gearbox problem but didn’t realise quite how involved the repair would be.

My question is, if I were to buy and fit a gearbox with a different code HMD vs HFZ for example, would swapping the gearbox ecu over as well, work?

Appreciation in advance.

Rog

· Registered
19,235 Posts
Compatibility issues, can be tough to figure out; same for same, being preferred, theoretically increasing your possibility of success. In the light of the work, cost and potential issues involved; what problems are you currently experiencing? Many issues with the 09G are external in nature can be repaired without trans removal and the 09G tends to be more durable then the 4 speed 01M. If you haven't done already; i would attempt to correctly diagnose your current 09G first and see if it fixable. These auto transmission; have their known issues and the possibility, your "good used", replacement, currently has or will develop, the same issues, in the future is high. Typically, if the known weaknesses, are not addressed; another transmission, is not necessarily, a reliable long term solution (back to square one).

Note: be warned, that many transmission shops; tend to automatically, recommend transmission swap or a full rebuild, rather then, addressing a repair, that could be much less and not require total replacement of the while transmission.

We see many shifting problems resolved; caused by wiring harness problems, defective shifter assemblies, sticking solenoids and worn valve bodies.

The correct first step in diagnosis; would be a check with a vw factory scan tool, like vcds; to troubleshoot things and see what is going on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.