VW Beetle Forum banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
I don't have a 2.0 so I am not sure how to check it on them.
The 1.8's are very easy. They have a plastic timing belt cover that clips on by 2 spring metal clips. Pretty easy off and on.

I am doing a search right now and see if I can find any more info on the 2.0. But there are many others that can chime in.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,274 Posts
2.0 should be the same.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Checked Connections

I know you said you checked connections but check that starter again because my electrical connection to the starter is not good and comes off every once in awhile. The symptoms sound the same. I just push it on again and everything is good to go.

Send the $20 to [email protected] through PayPal.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Starter connection looks good. Timing belt seems ok. This is driving me up a wall. Could it be something with the keys i had made for the car ?

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
How about the crankshaft position sensor? Could also be the electronic ignition switch or the fuel pump relays. How about the relay for the powersupply to the ECM? Did you check all the fuses?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
checked the fuses, i am not sure how to test relays. Sorry for my noob-ness.

The crankshaft position sensor is an interesting idea. easy way to test this ?

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
If you have a Vag com it would give you the code showing it is malfunctioning. I don't think a regular OBDII scanner will show this.

Try to find someone with a Vag Com in your area.
It will give you a more complete picture once you scan it with the VCDS software.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Now after driving it all day i got a check engine light. code is saying large vacuum leak. Drives fine. cant hear a leak. Any ideas where to check for this ?

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Now after driving it all day i got a check engine light. code is saying large vacuum leak. Drives fine. cant hear a leak. Any ideas where to check for this ?
What is the "Actual" Code?? Check the hose coming off the FPR going to the manifold. Very common for that hose to break.
Other than visually inspecting all the hoses there is not much else you can do. Just check, check again and then one more time for good meassure. Also check the Oil filler plastic part. The part that the Oil filler cap screws into. On the 2.0 engines it tends to crack or break over time and causes leaks there.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I will find out code, totally didnt right it down. I will also check that hose coming off the fpr.

Next issue:)

extreme vibration when driving over 40, seems like the entire car shakes.

Extreme inner tire wear. Outsides of tires look new and insides are bald

Outer CV's look good and the other suspension components look good.

Should i get new tires and an alignment ?

New inner CV's ?

the wheels dont have any play so i dont think its the wheel bearings.

!! you guys are really a huge help !!! thanks

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
I would have the alignment checked. If they know what they are doing they will be able to tell if the wheel bearings or any other front end components are bad.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Just call me Speedy Gonzales. :D

Vibration in the front end could also be caused by bad ball joints or worn out lower control arm bushings.
Usually gets worse at highway speeds. In my case it was the left front/drivers side wheel bearing. The wheel itself didn't have that much play yet but the vibration was there at highway speeds. Had the alignment shop check it out and they confirmed that my wheelbearing was going out.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
So before i pull this thing apart and do the CV i guess ill take it to a shop and see what the issue is ? what would be tell tale between inner cv and wheel bearing ?

·
Premium Member
665 Posts

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
cv axles

You might want to look into replacing the whole cv axles. Mine was doing that, start vibrating at around 40-60 mph. Replace cv axles with oem parts only or you'll be doing the same repair again real soon.

I will find out code, totally didnt right it down. I will also check that hose coming off the fpr.

Next issue:)

extreme vibration when driving over 40, seems like the entire car shakes.

Extreme inner tire wear. Outsides of tires look new and insides are bald

Outer CV's look good and the other suspension components look good.

Should i get new tires and an alignment ?

New inner CV's ?

the wheels dont have any play so i dont think its the wheel bearings.

!! you guys are really a huge help !!! thanks

·
Registered
120 Posts
I had this happen on a different car, we jumped the starter and ruled it out bc you could hear it. The problem ended up being that the gear wasn't coming forward to engage. It's a long shot but I've seen it b4

21 - 40 of 48 Posts