NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My New Beetle 1.8T made its way back home! Resurrected from an almost certain junkyard death, it has been restored back to life over the last 3 months. Please enjoy a few pictures of it’s current state and stay tuned for more development as the build continues! PS I’ve cc’d in a few vids from my YT channel as they’re odes to the glorious 1.8T and great noises it makes.

Thanks for looking 🙂

1.8T REVS !! (new turbo and exhaust)

1.8T CHERRY BOMB 💥

·
Registered
12,130 Posts
Congrats, on the resurrection; my Turbo S, was down for a year, due to a trans failure and subsequent rebuild. I know, the feeling! :) Aside, from the "sound"; was there any performance or turbo spool up, improvement?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Billy - thanks for dropping a note! The new K03S turbo made a nice diff. The old turbo (pic below) boosted fine, but felt like it was spooling at 8/10. After the brand new turbo it spools up much crisper and consistently. It also makes the great BW compressor noises that we all have come to love.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Very long story short, the bug was passed on to me when I was a sophomore in college. I drove it for the next 3 years and (essentially) gave it to another family member in need of a car. That was after I bought a MKV GTI. I recently sold the GTI and was in the market for a new Mercedes C300. Literally a week before going to buy one, I was informed that the bug was gonna go to the junkyard and I could come get it if I wanted. After some thought and given the nostalgic value of the car to me, I decided to take it. The car was rough when I got it. The relative that drove it thrashed it. In their ownership it was stolen, taken off road & curbed, its motor was cooked after being driven on a failed waterpump and the list goes on. Since I’ve taken it, a junkyard 1.8t motor was swapped in and I installed new sport brakes. Interior was reupholstered, I put new Motegi wheels and new tires on it, new radiator, new TB, tensioner & WP, new paint, new suspension (axles, tie rods, ball joints, & ST coil overs. I had the exhaust updated and installed new spark plugs. The car is mostly sorted now, however, has a few misc things left to go to make it 100.

·
Registered
12,130 Posts
Wow, it sounds like allot of time, effort, love and money, went into your "resurrection" of your New Beetle, definitely, it sounds like you have a real emotional connection to it, like most of us here. My 2002 New Beetle Turbo S, would have been relegated to the junk yard or sold off; by most people but despite its many flaws, I am keeping it and as I slowly, get it back to a "sorted" state, I still have a feeling of joy, when I drive it. :)

A upgrade, I did recently, to my AWP/1.8T with the same K03s, as you; is the Forge 008 Diverter Valve, even though I am totally stock with no software/chip upgrades, I am really surprised and happy with the increase, quality and responsiveness, of the boost with this additional part. I have struggled with sticking and warped (by heat); stock Bosch and later the Kayser 710N valves and it seems, the plastic construction, is their weak point, in the hot engine compartment of the 1.8T. Obviously, there are MANY possible improvements; one can make to the 1.8T but so far, this 008 Forge diverter valve, has been one best I have done (aside from my Wavetrac LSD in the 02M six speed trans). The main thing, is the boost is so much more consistent and this really helps, one to enjoy and use, the power of the 1.8T in a much more enjoyable and seemingly, "normal" way, where before, I was always fighting with inconsistent boost characteristics. After the upgrade; it became instantly apparent; that after daily driving this car for almost 17 years, the stock diverter valve is definitely lacking and a common failure point.

Brand: Forge MotorsportTurbo Recirculation Valve
Product code: FMDV008

PS: don't be scared off by the price; I was able to find a good used one, that works great for less then $100 USD! :)

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow, it sounds like allot of time, effort, love and money, went into your "resurrection" of your New Beetle, definitely, it sounds like you have a real emotional connection to it, like most of us here. My 2002 New Beetle Turbo S, would have been relegated to the junk yard or sold off; by most people but despite its many flaws, I am keeping it and as I slowly, get it back to a "sorted" state, I still have a feeling of joy, when I drive it. :)

A upgrade, I did recently, to my AWP/1.8T with the same K03s, as you; is the Forge 008 Diverter Valve, even though I am totally stock with no software/chip upgrades, I am really surprised and happy with the increase, quality and responsiveness, of the boost with this additional part. I have struggled with sticking and warped (by heat); stock Bosch and later the Kayser 710N valves and it seems, the plastic construction, is their weak point, in the hot engine compartment of the 1.8T. Obviously, there are MANY possible improvements; one can make to the 1.8T but so far, this 008 Forge diverter valve, has been one best I have done (aside from my Wavetrac LSD in the 02M six speed trans). The main thing, is the boost is so much more consistent and this really helps, one to enjoy and use, the power of the 1.8T in a much more enjoyable and seemingly, "normal" way, where before, I was always fighting with inconsistent boost characteristics. After the upgrade; it became instantly apparent; that after daily driving this car for almost 17 years, the stock diverter valve is definitely lacking and a common failure point.

Brand: Forge MotorsportTurbo Recirculation Valve
Product code: FMDV008

PS: don't be scared off by the price; I was able to find a good used one, that works great for less then $100 USD! :)
Man I got hosed on my Agency Power Racing DV - I paid $130 for the unit! It makes nice noises but I feel like I missed out on a cheaper unit that would deliver equivalent results. Anyways you live you learn.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
New Combi-Valve installed today!

Hopefully my SAI code clears... That backside 5MM bolt is tricky to access without pulling coolant line below. It can be done but it makes it a bit more tricky!

·
Registered
12,130 Posts
Those sai hoses; get really brittle and break. Lots of tape like you did; is one fix but I found, you can replace it with cheap "sump pump or discharge hose" from your local hardware store. Cheap and more flexible then the stock and you just reuse the hose ends and it looks like a factory part! Cheap and easy fix; try your local hardware store for some and it works great.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey Billy - I actually fabricated my hose out of washer bilge tubing. It’s white tubing so I wrapped it in black duck tape to make it not look so ugly haha. I wasn’t about to pay $$ for the factory spec hose. I cleared codes earlier and now am down the final code - very small evap leak. Most like a gas cap but could be a N80 that needs replacing.

·
Registered
12,130 Posts

Yeah, a brand new gas cap; isn't too expensive or you might try a new gas cap seal, not much from RKXTech. I replaced mine and used their seal; now, it seems my fuel pump, pumps up faster now and in turn, keeps the pressure up for quicker start ups.

As for the N80; here is a video, from the humble mechanic with some testing tips:

·
Registered
12,130 Posts
As to the washer bilge tubing; I just did another replacement, on a 2005 Convertible and now, it seems locally I can only find white color flexible discharge hose/tubing and no more black versions of it (I tore my area apart; trying to find the black hose, I used originally; to NO avail). So, I bought some vinyl/plastic black paint and it turned out great; you really, couldn't tell, it wasn't a factory VW hose, after the painting of it! :)

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nice! Always feels good to find a cheaper solution to a potentially expensive problem.
As for your Turbo S, you mentioned a wavetrac LSD - does it make a substantial difference on how the car puts the power to wheels? Are you tuned? Also speaking of putting the power down - when I had my ST coils installed, I also opted to fit an 034 Motorsports dog bone mount. That mount made an incredible difference IMO. Shifts are incredibly more crisp and consistent. NVH is a little more noticeable, however, my exhaust already adds to that so what’s a little more?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Also granted my Bug is going to eclipse 17 years of age this December, I installed a supplemental safety feature.

You never know when you (or someone else) are gonna need to extinguish a fire.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
i have the same car but in BLUE concept, blue leather seats. 2003 1.8t awv . Good to see you brought that poppy back to life. Looks good, good paint job. So you replaced the turbo even though it was working right? how much was that new turbo and brand ? off ebay?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i have the same car but in BLUE concept, blue leather seats. 2003 1.8t awv . Good to see you brought that poppy back to life. Looks good, good paint job. So you replaced the turbo even though it was working right? how much was that new turbo and brand ? off ebay?
Hi Esse,

Thanks for dropping a note! I've always liked the blue concept as well. As for the turbski, I went ahead and installed another Borg-Warner K03(S) turbo. The old one was a junkyard unit and full of RTV sealant. The cost to pull and rebuild was only slightly cheaper than to replace with a brand new one.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hello NB Community.

Hope everyone is doing well amidst everything going on currently in our world. On a more positive note and given I had a bit more time to kick around the house last weekend, I went ahead and polished up the bug. I used my Harbor Freight cordless drill with a buff pad attachment and hit it with some paint polish along with a subsequent coat of turtle quick wax. Also, I bought & installed a carbon fiber shortened antenna from Amazon (link below) to replace the aged factory unit. Not gonna lie, I'm kinda liking the look of the short antenna. What do y'all think?

Old Antenna:

New Antenna:

After installing the antenna I can report that it performs exactly as well as the stock unit in my area. I still get HD radio and have not lost any stations that I'm aware of

Thanks for checking out the thread and hope you all have a great week!

Antenna that I bought on Amazon for ease of reference: https://www.amazon.com/Style-Polished-Carbon-Stubby-Antenna/dp/B076J12Y7D/ref=sr_1_18?keywords=new+beetle+antenna&qid=1584419070&s=automotive&sr=1-18

Update: I purchased a super cheap secondary air pump coming in the mail on Wednesday and will most likely swap out the old unit this upcoming weekend. I'll keep y'all posted on how that goes.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts