VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The COMPLETE GUIDE to Factory Audio Systems!

This is going to be an ongoing work in progress. Please bear with me and be patient, your help is requested… continue reading!

There is so much chatter around the Org regarding Factory Audio Systems, so much based on supposition, assumption, previously read threads and posts, and yes, “urban legend”. Many people have vehicles without an Owners Manual, are missing audio supplements in their OM, or have vehicles in which the system has been updated, and lack the updated manuals. Ultimately, I hope this thread can additionally include complete instructions for DIY fixes, upgrading, replacement part numbers, resources and prices for repair and replacement, etc, etc. IF IT’S NOT FACTORY, THIS IS NOT THE PLACE FOR IT, unless it is aftermarket accessories to upgrade the Factory Audio System, still facilitating the Factory Head Unit.

I have decided to take on the project of putting together a definitive guide to all NB Factory Audio Systems, both standard and premium. Here’s what I need from anyone willing to help:
  • Any factory manuals (whether Tape or CD Units or non-tape or CD units if they ever existed), factory supplements, instruction manuals, etc. – Please scan these as .pdf documents, being careful to do a nice job, no pages cut of at the edges, in proper order by page, scanned as flat as possible. Include all pages, including the cover and last page which will include the © date. The date will help determine the year application for the manual. After scanning, attach them as a .pdf document; do not paste them directly to the thread.
  • Indicate what year, and model i.e. NB, NBC, Pissant, Etc, the head unit or accessory is found in. (typically your car)
  • If you have taken, or are taking something apart, and can obtain information, i.e. part numbers, tricks, etc. please feel free, if not compelled to post them here.
  • If you find an aftermarket accessory that works with the factory head, AND have installed it AND know it works, please post the information, along with a link to the source, and the price. Please don’t post up something you merely stumble across that “claims” compatibility.
  • Any purchasing resource for any Factory Head Unit, Factory 6cd Changer, CD Changer Mounting Hardware, or any other install or user related accessories, i.e. Harnesses, “Pull Keys”, Auxiliary Jacks, Changer Magazines, etc.
TECHIE HELP PLEASE! Now, towards this end, I need help from a computer techie that can tell me how to put up numerous .pdf files either on the post, or on an attachment, in such a way they can be separated, titled, and indexed. I’m going to have to index the attachments above them all and post the files below the index.There has to be a better way.

As a side note, rather than everyone running out and buying head removal tools "keys”, OEM or aftermarket (which I have read don’t always work), why don’t those of us with as set of them we don’t need just start mailing them around to other Orgers. My thought, you post up that you have a set available, someone sends you a request, with an email or phone number you can verify (for later when they “forget”, you mail them (your out an envelope and a postage stamp), and then when they are done, they post up that they are available, and continue the favor. It would be nice if no one requested them till they were ready for them to keep them from being “tied up”. I received a set with my CD Changer, which I don’t need, that I’m willing to start this with. Any takers?...

I will update this OP with all accurate information gained from all subsequent posts on a weekly (or less) basis (check revised date on post). I will also include any DIYs from other Orger threads or posts as they are found. That way everything will be in this post. Post #1.

As a way to find this thread easily in the future, I'm going to use the keyword mrg (my radio guide) along with some others with relevance. A search for keyword mrg will pull this up easily and there should be no others.

Thanks for your helping in making this a successful project.

Please keep on post here, and save the wise cracks (I know, I'm horrible about that on other's threads), etc, for somewhere else. Let's try to keep this thread clean and informational only.

Any suggestions are welcome.

This will only work with input and help from others. This is the extent of my "manual" related resources(see index below)!

MORAV

New & Used Units Resources

Head Units
http://replacementradios.com/advanced_search_result.php?search_in_description=1&keywords=VW+Beetle+&x=7&y=7

Console Mount 6cd Changer

Trunk Mount 6cd Changer

Trunk Unit Mounting Bracket

Repair Resources

Head Unit or CD Drive Repair
VW VOLKSWAGEN CD 6 Disc Radio BEETLE JETTA REPAIR - eBay (item 350428476803 end time Feb-03-11 20:42:52 PST)=

CD Drive Repair
http://replacementradios.com/advanced_search_result.php?search_in_description=1&keywords=VW+Beetle+&x=7&y=7

Head Unit Application Guide

1C0 035 196 C - CD/MP3 Radio, Mid 2004 (VIN 410661 and fwd) - 2007 (will require Dealer unlock if locked), remote 6cd Changer compatible

INDEX to .pdf files for Operation Manuals The © Date most probably applies to the following model year and newer, due to actual model production dates
  1. New Beetle Sound System (supplement) -Getting you started ©2003 (from 2005 NBC OM)
  2. 3.4 Sound System Monsoon / Premium ©2004 (from 2005 NBC OM)
  3. 3.4 CD-Changer and CD-Player Operating Instructions ©xxxx (incl in '03 up, OEM CD-Changer, Sony p/n VWZ3Z8E6968854 / VW p/n 1J0 035 110, This covers older and newer head units, and cd-changer operation for both console mount and older, trunk mount units.
  4. Mounting Instructions - Original CD Changer, Pg 1 (Title translated) ©2002 These VW (p/n 1JO 057 110) Instructions are 60 pgs, but in 7 languages, Only the German (CZ) section has the illustrations, all other languages refer back to these illustrations. This is a complete dealer/owner instruction manual showing console installation of the console 6cd Changer (available with the '03 NB), including radio head, console removal, and harness and changer installation. This is not required for '03 and newer NBs, with the correct console, as every NB '03 and newer was factory wired for the console unit. This would be helpful if you were upgading consoles and installing the CD Changer. I have not, an am not planning on scanning and attaching this entire document unless someone needs it.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Post #2 being help for future use.

MORAV

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Post #3 being reserved for future use.

MORAV

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've updated the thread with some additional topics and information, as I said, a work in progress.

New & Used Units Resources

Repair Resources

Head Unit Application Guide

·
Super Moderator
8,919 Posts
Attached are a few pdfs that I have collected over the years that might help out in one way or another.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Excellent! Thanks Antoine!

Yes, perfect, these are great! Just the kind of thing we need for this thread. Compiling these all in one place will be a valuable resource for all.

I'm trying to catch up on some "real" work tonight, but will put these up in the original post (along with filing them offline ;)) it the next day or so. Along with some additional resources I have collected, but not had time to sort thru. My filing system is scattered all over my computer! lmao

Thanks again for taking the time to contribute.

C'mon guys and gals help out here like Antoine has!

·
Addicted To Chaos TS
148 Posts
Attached are a few pdfs that I have collected over the years that might help out in one way or another.
Hi, I thought I'd contact you about some audio questions as I know you're knowledgable on the subject. I've got a '04 Turbo S w/the Monsoon Premium HU w/tape deck/CD Changer-ready that I'm replacing with an aftermarket receiver, though I haven't decided which one yet. I'm wanting to make sure I get the correct wiring harness, antenna adapter, etc. If you wouldn't mind looking at this link,
http://www.amazon.com/Stereo-Harness-Beetle-wiring-installation/dp/B000KL6YWW/ref=wl_it_dp_o_npd?ie=UTF8&coliid=I2FJZCJ0S0ISYI&colid=2B5FXF3EAFBWR. Is this the right Wiring Harness ie; VW Beetle Activ 01 02 03 04? Also, if you'll look at this link for the VW Beetle Activ 01 02 03 04 Antenna Adapter.
http://www.amazon.com/Stereo-ANTENNA-Harness-AFTERMARKET-ADAPTOR/dp/B000KL38HG/ref=pd_rhf_cr_p_t_4. Is this the right one? As well, if you'll look down further under Frequently Bought Together, which shows the 2 items I've already mentioned as well as the VW Beetle Activ 01 02 03 04 Stereo Install Dash Kit. Would this be the one I'd use and, as all 3 items are available to purchase together, would this be my best bet for getting everything I'll need? Thanks very much for your help and, if any of these are NOT correct for my TS, could you maybe tell me which one's would be?

·
Registered
33 Posts
The Manual helps a lot for the new user. Anyone very new to the topic can get a much better idea regarding it. The car audio is not much difficult to understand.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have what I hope is an easy question for any of you. I have a 2000 turbo beetle that has the factory radio with tape player. Recently the radio stopped working, it turns on but it's stuck in cd mode and we don't have a cd player connected to it. I was wondering if it's possible to put an aftermarket in-dash cd player that is Ipod capable in it's place without too much hassle or without messing up something with the factory security settings? thanks-Chris

·
5/23/10 <3
11,415 Posts
Aftermarket units are pretty easy to install. Plenty out there to choose from and lots of good kits out there so they fit well in the slot. I had a Blaupunkt unit in my NB when I got it, and then ended up putting a Sony unit in later on.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have what I hope is an easy question for any of you. I have a 2000 turbo beetle that has the factory radio with tape player. Recently the radio stopped working, it turns on but it's stuck in cd mode and we don't have a cd player connected to it. I was wondering if it's possible to put an aftermarket in-dash cd player that is Ipod capable in it's place without too much hassle or without messing up something with the factory security settings? thanks-Chris
If your unit is a Monsoon Premium, minor issues will have to do with the external amp and the premium Monsoon speakers. I suggest you start at Crutchfield .com for capitiblity questions, then you can shop their products around, but I'm not sure why one would go anywhere else. If you have a GLX the Monsoon was standard, if not there are several ways to tell, assuming it's not badged right on the face of the head unit.

Morav

·
DKJ75
2 Posts
After market stereo installed and now rear speakers do not work

Greetings! I'm new to this forum. I just bought myself a 2003 VW Beetle Turbo S. I replaced the factory Monsoon stereo yesterday with a Pioneer stereo. I bought the stereo and wiring harness from Crutchfield. It took me so long to get the stereo installed that I'm afraid to mess with it. Unfortunately, the rear speakers no longer work. Is there an extra wire that I'm not using? I've been trying for over a day to see if anyone else has had this issue. Does it have something to do with the Amp? Did I connect cables I should not have? I'm assuming Crutchfield sent me the correct wiring harness..... Help...PLEASE. Thanks:)

·
Super Moderator
5,367 Posts
If you wired the harness per the directions then it's probably ok. I would check the radios fade/balance before pulling the radio out to confirm the wiring. It could be the radio is set all the way to the front.

·
DKJ75
2 Posts
Thanks! Actually, this morning as I was driving to work, I turned the stereo off. I then hit the menu button and BAM! There was an option to turn on the rear speakers. Then I turned on the radio and the fader option let me change the settings. Two days of stressing out over nothing! :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts